Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: carrying deer

I shoot a couple of properties that require the whole animal be removed but it’s a different kettle of fish then on public land. No matter how clean my gutting is I never seem to get the same quality meat hanging a whole carcass overnight in the bush.

Removing and hanging the legs etc individually let’s the meat cool so much faster which I think is the key to limiting waste later on.

got these two a while back, took the spiker and his mate came wandering out of the bush to have a look see what was going on, so I took him too before thinking that I'd still need to get the meat out.
    Name:  deer.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  7.24 MB
    front quarters of the spiker were unusable, ended up packing out 45 kg of meat and some bone over about 5km of swampy tussock. my original plan was to bury the gut bag from them both and come back to see if the pigs were interested but I was so shattered from carrying the meat out I couldnt be bothered.
    carrying a whole animal with the skin, bone and all that jazz out seems like a young fools game, I'm too old for that sort of carry on
    Rusky, Micky Duck and Eat Meater like this.

There are reasons to salvage a whole carcass if possible. Leaving the muscles attached to the skeletal structure stops them from constricting to their shortest resting length, which results in a more consistently tender product. Its one of the reasons that comercial processors chill entire carcasses bone in instead of immediately boning out hot carcasses and chilling individual muscle groups or cuts.
    I do agree that you probably shouldn't try achieve it at the expense of your body though, especially your spine...
    Moa Hunter and Eat Meater like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LMcNab View Post
    There are reasons to salvage a whole carcass if possible. Leaving the muscles attached to the skeletal structure stops them from constricting to their shortest resting length, which results in a more consistently tender product. Its one of the reasons that comercial processors chill entire carcasses bone in instead of immediately boning out hot carcasses and chilling individual muscle groups or cuts.
    I do agree that you probably shouldn't try achieve it at the expense of your body though, especially your spine...
    yes it will do it quicker...but resting it for a week in fridge seems to make all venison very tender,its been a game changer for me. and trimming the silverskin off PROPERLY too,I often find myself trimming a little off before cooking,the dogs dont mind at all....
    Rusky likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

this is one of my more favoured methods for recovery.....easy on the back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJe0mkNKqwo
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SPEARONZ View Post
    I shoot a couple of properties that require the whole animal be removed but it’s a different kettle of fish then on public land. No matter how clean my gutting is I never seem to get the same quality meat hanging a whole carcass overnight in the bush.

Removing and hanging the legs etc individually let’s the meat cool so much faster which I think is the key to limiting waste later on.
    If they are clean gutted ( windpipe and arse tied, guts pulled out from the windpipe down) and hung by the head, not the legs and in a breeze, the meat will be perfect
    SPEARONZ likes this.

Banned
    I made up a meat frame to carry deer and it makes it a lot easier than piggy backing them. All the weight is transferred to my legs and taken off my spine by the gut belt on the harness.
    Totally agree with you re meat quality

yes agree but my original argument was why carry out a hind with the head still attached

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    If they are clean gutted ( windpipe and arse tied, guts pulled out from the windpipe down) and hung by the head, not the legs and in a breeze, the meat will be perfect
    Why by the head and not the legs ? Have probably seen thousands in feral deer premises over the years all hung by the back legs.

I made up a meat frame to carry deer and it makes it a lot easier than piggy backing them. All the weight is transferred to my legs and taken off my spine by the gut belt on the harness.
    Totally agree with you re meat quality
    Any photos ?? It sounds interesting.

If I'm taking them to a butcher I Carey then out as intact as possible to avoid them having to clean them up much and maximize meat used. These are generally animals not too far from a track or with an easy enough carry to a track. I'll admit pride has driven a few carries that probably weren't justified though...
    Gamehunter and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    yes agree but my original argument was why carry out a hind with the head still attached
    Yeah sorry, I was replying to all the subsequent chat. I would agree that carrying that out is largly pointless. Maybe they eat tongue?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Puddleduk View Post
    Why by the head and not the legs ? Have probably seen thousands in feral deer premises over the years all hung by the back legs.
    Simple, hanging by the back legs puts the muscle under extra tension while it sets and makes it tough(er)
    Hanging by the neck means the legs are only supporting their own weight and as well the animal drains better and and contamination in the gut cavity is kept away from the chest cavity and can drain out through the pelvic opening.
    I remember feral chillers hanging animals by a front leg

Simple, hanging by the back legs puts the muscle under extra tension while it sets and makes it tough(er)
    Hanging by the neck means the legs are only supporting their own weight and as well the animal drains better and and contamination in the gut cavity is kept away from the chest cavity and can drain out through the pelvic opening.
    I dropped a few deer at Wormsleys game chiller in the last week there was a heap in there hung by the top jaw from a professional culler (all from the same shooter).
    I generally don't leave the head on but I do hang from the front legs simply because I find it easier to lift the deer that way and get the hook on the rail above my head, put hook through front leg then bear hug the chest and lift as high as I can then whack the hook over the rail at the peak of the lift.

Come to think of it, pretty sure the bulk of the deer in the chiller where hung by the front leg/s
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

It's seems to be true that you learn something everyday, will try that technique on the next victim.