Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Cascade Hut

Don't forget to stop in at the taupo information center and get a hut pass it is about $5 a night just in case a doc ranger turns up and asks to see hut passes, also Oamaru hut has firewood and coal supplied last time I was there the wood shed was fully stocked with douglas fur and about six bags of coal and there were pots and pans up there too. And don't forget to have a good laugh at the doctored up signs. You will know you are on the right track when you see the signs fingering ross (fingerling crossing) and anal road (canal Road) on the poled route through poronui.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Thanks guys, are the river crossings tricky?

There is only one crossing now there is a new track to the right once you get over the fence at poronui follow that and it will take you to the kaipo river cross there it is not so deep and the current is not as strong as doing the mohaka across maori land then across the oamaru river like it used to be, but please do be careful in any river crossing.

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Yeah, lost a mate to the waiohine in January so intend to be safe and sure.

Last time I crossed the kaipo I used a long stick to feel for any deep spots while doing the crossing seeing it was an unfamiliar area for me.
    Scouser likes this.

Good advice, ta.

Good luck philipgr, hope you have some success. We'll be in Wednesday night. See you then. Tony

Quote Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
    Good luck philipgr, hope you have some success. We'll be in Wednesday night. See you then. Tony
    Thanks mate, will see you in there

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

We went in friday night, walked in the dark and took 3 hours. Meet two fullas on the way out that had been fly camping 5 days and got 3. We fly camped, saw quite a few but didnt get a chance, heard a single call.

3 chopper loads were in the hut on the way past today so its full. One lot of 4 is going out tomorrow. 3 other parties were camped on the river flats and one up jap creek....
    Saw 50+ on the way over poronui this evening and got some decent footage which was cool.

Just giving you boys a heads up on what to expect
    phillipgr likes this.

Thanks I think.wasn't going to take a tent but probably will now.

Plenty of deer on there mate, everyone we talked to saw some. We saw most sign between 750-800m.
    I would definitely recommend fly camping if you have a half decent sleeping bag and forcast is ok.
    Was pretty cold getting into frozen boots

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Plenty of deer on there mate, everyone we talked to saw some. We saw most sign between 750-800m.
    I would definitely recommend fly camping if you have a half decent sleeping bag and forcast is ok.
    Was pretty cold getting into frozen boots
    Cheers bro!

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Thanks perazzi, good to hear there are enough deer to go around. I'm a bit of an old joker so will take a punt on getting a bed in the hut and tent as a backup plan.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
    Thanks perazzi, good to hear there are enough deer to go around. I'm a bit of an old joker so will take a punt on getting a bed in the hut and tent as a backup plan.
    Think he's talking about the Oamaru Hut Tony? You certainly haven't got that many beds in the Cascade
    Cascade Hut | Huts | New Zealand Tramper: hiking and walking community information

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
    Think he's talking about the Oamaru Hut Tony? You certainly haven't got that many beds in the Cascade
    Cascade Hut | Huts | New Zealand Tramper: hiking and walking community information
    He is going to the Oamaru hut for his hunting trip this is why it is being talked about as he changed his mind on heading to the cascade hut