Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Central otago venison recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    Objectivity has nothing to do with conservation values.
    Posts #25 and #26 sum the situation up perfectly.
    WARO operators aren't getting anything handed to them for nothing. Sure, both the operators and DOC mutually benefit from culling animals, but the operator wears 100% of the risk and costs in doing so. A parallel could be drawn with the fishing industry where private companies profit from harvesting a publicly owned resource.

Your second to last line about them getting the easy ones because they can, is exactly my point.

You've completely lost me on the last line though.
    I guess we could argue this back and forth endlessly......one of my points was that if the deer are getting mopped up in an area with low conservation values then contrary to your point DoC are not winning, and in fact it could be argued they are potentially losing 'cos if there was a more managed regime the WARO operators could be pushed to places where conservation values are at risk.....

I can't concur with the fishing analogy.......that industry is targeting a naturally occurring species (as opposed to an 'introduced pest') so by definition the marine biodiversity suffers when fish are removed by fishing, so the public's resource is being exploited by private interests.

And it seems we have both managed to lose one another on at least one point......the assertion that objectivity has nothing to do with conservation values is lost on me, too!

R93
    The West Coast would easily have the most waro pressure in NZ.
    Especially my favorite places to hunt.

I can throw my rifle and day bag in the truck and be hunting in the time it takes drink a coffee.

I can count on one hand how many times I have been out for a walk and not at least seen something in the last 10-15years.

It has never been easier but it seems for some, that's not good enough.

5-6000 deer use to come out of the Haast area a year when every bugger was shooting or catching.

When I did most of my time on venison there from 2003-2011 we were getting around 2500 a year.
    It was still during all that time, one of the best areas to hunt and was productive for people meat shooting or wanting to get one for the freezer.
    Some of the best genuine heads ever shot (350DS class) were taken in the region in the last 20 yrs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

As I understand it, the choppers shot the front faces of the hawkduns then along the manuherikera west branch to the omarama saddle
    The photo sure looks like the hawkduns,

What I would like to know is do these guys stick to this 2km buffer zone? is the whole GPS thing a crock? for a section of approximately 12km from 10 chain creek to German creek the doc land along the Hawkduns is only 2.5-3km maximum wide bounded by private on both sides.....
    Last edited by yerimaginaryM8; 14-02-2018 at 10:50 AM.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by yerimaginaryM8 View Post
    The photo sure looks like the hawkduns,

What I would like to know is do these guys stick to this 2km buffer zone? is the whole GPS thing a crock? for a section of approximately 12km from 10 chain creek to German creek the doc land along the Hawkduns is only 2.5-3km maximum wide bounded by private on both sides.....
    If you don't stick to the buffer zone and get caught you lose your concession. And maybe not just your waro concessions. Simple.

All you need to hunt inside it is a poison deceleration from the boundary land owners.

A few operations that have tried to bullshit the system have been screwed.
    It doesn't just put the operators at risk it puts the whole industry at risk so they're bloody strict.
    I have hunted areas where you are doing your best to obey all the boundaries and it is hard work. (Ruahines is ridiculous)

Killing deer on a GPS boundary wasn't worth the hassle. We learned to stay well inside it to avoid any problems.
    Never had boundary issues in Haast you could pretty much hunt everywhere that was productive without checking every few seconds, you didn't break any rules.

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    If you don't stick to the buffer zone and get caught you lose your concession. And maybe not just your waro concessions. Simple.

All you need to hunt inside it is a poison deceleration from the boundary land owners.

A few operations that have tried to bullshit the system have been screwed.
    It doesn't just put the operators at risk it puts the whole industry at risk so they're bloody strict.
    I have hunted areas where you are doing your best to obey all the boundaries and it is hard work. (Ruahines is ridiculous)

Killing deer on a GPS boundary wasn't worth the hassle. We learned to stay well inside it to avoid any problems.
    Never had boundary issues in Haast you could pretty much hunt everywhere that was productive without checking every few seconds, you didn't break any rules.

Most likely this. We've had to complete a few of these recently.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.