Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Colours then.....!!!

Hi Guys
    Thank you that feed-back was very bloody interesting...if I remember correctly originally blaze orange was identified as being the colour most able to be seen in the white continent from the greatest distance...even black/dark colours all faded into the white spectrum eventually...

the early stuff was pinkish orange and it was much more effective but fellas wouldnt wear it....dont think the 1 in 10 red green colour bling males would be able to see it either,according to my buddy he justs sees it as bright....the red green thing makes it very frustrating to point out a brown object on green grass or indeed green pooh on red meat,they simply CANT see it.

Yeah a few years back watching a rugby game with wales vs ireland on the tv a mate asked- "how do they tell the teams apart?"

That was how he found out he is red/green colourblind

I find that blaze blue sticks out like dogs balls in the bush but as with all things, new gear is brighter than old gear
    Pengy and A330driver like this.

I'm just confused. I can see how dirty orange can become dangerously like a red deer. Fine the first trip but after 5 trips.
    Blue camo impresses me in that it can't be confused with anything like game. However as noted above I'm told that deer see it clearly.
    A year or 2 back I was walking out from a trip with some mates in crappy weather. I put the fluro hood on my pack and my mates commented after that it really stood out. I woudl have been in olive and cameo.
    Zq

Plenty of deer and other game been taken while hunter was wearing blue.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Yep I should probably wear blue, just can't quite bring myself to do it yet.
    And thankfully I don't do a lot of DOC land bush hunting. And definitely not in the roar.

As an aside, Are most of these shootings occurring in and around bush and bush margins?
    North Island? (more bush hunting and more hunters)
    Zq

I remember quite clearly Stoney Creek advertising the colour spectrum deer see in, particularly surrounding blue standing out to deer.
    Having said that, I now always wear blaze blue (Stoney Creek funnily enough) after 2 people I know being shot in the bush.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the harlequin type tees from hunting and fishing have a little of this and a little of that..sort of a buck each way...love mine and mates tell me it sticks out like doggies danglies. Ive got blaze blue and have shot deer wearing it.
    Generally don't wear blaze anything, however do have a blaze blue beanie and one of the stony creek vests that I will wear in higher traffic areas or over long weekends etc. Won't hunt CNI during roar after a close-ish call a year or two back.

Agree with Micky Duck about the blue though. Doesn't matter shite what colours deer see. If you are moving or silhouetted you will be sprung.

How many hundreds of thousands of deer have been shot by guys in a pair of stubbies with pasty white legs sticking out from under a rotten old swanny?

As for the shooting of other hunters, it is ALWAYS failure to identify target
    CATLINS HUNTER likes this.

Name:  0154EAEA-1001-4850-8F6A-9DAD5EBE0497.jpeg
Views: 251
Size:  449.2 KB
    I may be exposing myself to ridicule but who would shoot someone wearing pink?
    Shootm, Boaraxa, Sideshow and 1 others like this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by 2post View Post
    Attachment 102104
    I may be exposing myself to ridicule but who would shoot someone wearing pink?
    Rednecks and skinheads would shoot someone wearing pink.
    Norway, Boar Freak and Boaraxa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Rednecks and skinheads would shoot someone wearing pink.
    I walk to far into the bush for rednecks and skinheads so I should be ok. Don’t they like to shoot from their porches?
    Boaraxa likes this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

I’m with @2post here’s one to go with your hatName:  3C89E8A6-33FB-4A7A-BDF3-F6E8CCE7C415.jpeg
Views: 189
Size:  54.0 KB
    Staying safe but still being able to enjoy your sport while not having that nagging doubts of am I visible to another hunter, am I visible to deer and can I be mistaken for something else!
    Well if you shoot me wearing this!
    Again as already said won’t stop the idiots that shoot through bushes at unidentifiable targets!
    2post likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    It is important to understand that these people are shooting through bushes, at something they haven't seen. It really doesn't matter what you wear when you are talking about people who will not identify their targets. One guy was shot through his blaze orange hat.

what would make a difference is harsher sentences. if people know they are going to jail for ten years for shooting a person mistakenly, then they will stop treating hunting so casually. Harsher sentences were brought in the USA years ago and it reduced these kind of mistaken identity shootings when hunting virtually overnight.

But lets put this all into perspective. You have more chance of being eaten by a shark than of being shot out hunting in NZ.
    Unfortunately I do not believe this to be true. How many people have died in the last 40 years from Shark attack in NZ? And how many have died by being shot by accident in the same period?

And as for the few attacks in Dunedin in the 60s....It is possible that was caused by a shark being attracted to illegal (or sly i not illegal at the time) dumping of fish and meat scraps near a popular surf spot. That is akin to two hunters wearing deerskin jackets so they look like deer.......(except it was not the surfers fault...)

The papers are dragging up a couple of 50 year old shark attacks and I have to ask myself why? What are "they" about to try sell us?
    Boaraxa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Unfortunately I do not believe this to be true. How many people have died in the last 40 years from Shark attack in NZ? And how many have died by being shot by accident in the same period?

And as for the few attacks in Dunedin in the 60s....It is possible that was caused by a shark being attracted to illegal (or sly i not illegal at the time) dumping of fish and meat scraps near a popular surf spot. That is akin to two hunters wearing deerskin jackets so they look like deer.......(except it was not the surfers fault...)

The papers are dragging up a couple of 50 year old shark attacks and I have to ask myself why? What are "they" about to try sell us?
    And what a shit time of year to publish there article or not depending on what they hoped to achieve , start of summer just what every surfer / diver /swimmer wants to no , maybe they have the ultimate shark repellent to sell or perhaps the publisher just gets payed a little more with extra hits ...as the Don would say FAKE NEWS from the loosers
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Great topic. There's a text written by an academic in Australia who is studying how fish see which is called from memory "what fish see" and a good deal of it is concerned with how do we know what they see even if our eye structure may be very similar (rods and cones etc). Which leads me to my small point which is just because deer are able to identify blue as the one colour in an otherwise monochromatic visual range it does not necessarily mean that it stands out to them particularly but just that it can be seen.