Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By silentscope
  • 1 Post By norsk
  • 3 Post By Stocky

Thread: Dark River Wapiti Block 2022

Dark River Wapiti Block 2022

Hey guys! Im heading into Dark River for Period 3 this year. Has anyone been in here and able to give any pointers/share their experience?

Cheers

Good luck, that was the block we got this year but turned it down.

Article in NZ Hunter shows a bull shot there last year

I ll see you there then.

Cracks me up the people that come here in search of hard earned first person knowledge. Good luck in the thick stuff pal.
    Rees likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by silentscope View Post
    Cracks me up the people that come here in search of hard earned first person knowledge. Good luck in the thick stuff pal.
    Depends on how you look at it?

He has the block for a limited time, someone else has been there prior but not this time. Sharing knowledge and helping out is the Kiwi way no?
    Gkp likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    I ll see you there then.
    I doubt it considering he would have been through already.

Quote Originally Posted by silentscope View Post
    New forum members with 1 post is a bit shitty but asking about the Wap blocks is completely reasonable as you cant draw a block every year never mind the same block in the same period so the standard go hunt the block to learn the block doesn't really apply.

Considering getting to half these blocks takes half your annual leave and a grand plus I understand asking about them even just in regards to safety aspects and camp site locations.
    erniec, bigbear and techno retard like this.

CJD
    Hi Reggie, I was in Dark River in 2013. Plenty of bulls bugling/roaring down on the flats but didnt see sign of any big ones. Saw only a handful of bulls and shot a decent 11 pointer on a slip near the dark river/ starvation creek fork. The first day is a bit of a prick getting to swan mere but after that the going is pretty good. We went up to the headwaters of dark river which opens up to an awesome head basin with deer in the scrub and higher up. Unfortunately for us the visibility was bad and we only caught glimpses of the animals. When it started snowing we fell back down to the bush. The other party in the block went up Robb creek to robb saddle but said they saw no deer at all. Ask me if you have any more specific questions. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by CJD View Post
    Hi Reggie, I was in Dark River in 2013. Plenty of bulls bugling/roaring down on the flats but didnt see sign of any big ones. Saw only a handful of bulls and shot a decent 11 pointer on a slip near the dark river/ starvation creek fork. The first day is a bit of a prick getting to swan mere but after that the going is pretty good. We went up to the headwaters of dark river which opens up to an awesome head basin with deer in the scrub and higher up. Unfortunately for us the visibility was bad and we only caught glimpses of the animals. When it started snowing we fell back down to the bush. The other party in the block went up Robb creek to robb saddle but said they saw no deer at all. Ask me if you have any more specific questions. Good luck
    Reggie has already been Guys his post was before the last ballot its 10 Months Old.

CJD
    Oh right ha, I guess my comments are for you then Stocky

Oh right ha, I guess my comments are for you then Stocky
    Haha they are good comments to just have for people's future info. Probably the most useful first comment anyone had on the forum for some time. Did you apply this year.

CJD
    Yea I got Whitewater 2nd period, it's going to be a welcome change to be outside of the wilderness area and get dropped off on the tops First time in 5 years I got a block so pretty excited.

Yea I got Whitewater 2nd period, it's going to be a welcome change to be outside of the wilderness area and get dropped off on the tops First time in 5 years I got a block so pretty excited.
    I've been there and got dropped on the tops in saddle about South West arm, hunted down the main river. Easy block, pm if you want more info, but not much too it

My work colleague drew Dark river this year too but don't know what period they are heading in as a team of 6 and no I'm not one of them.