Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By kruza
  • 1 Post By jono7

Thread: Best route: Tussock hut to the burn

Best route: Tussock hut to the burn

Heading there this week. Haven't done the trip over to the burn for a few years - last time we bashed through the remnants of a track up the manuka scrub. Wondered if there was a smarter way.

Caretaker
    Because the burn is more attractive to people than deer Theres a lot of scrub tracks cut to it, look along the ridge, there will be a track on it already

Rather than trying to find the easiest track, just hunt your way there

You will find your already in the easiest place to find Sika, all the other gully heads in the valley hold deer, and most often will hold more than the burn

YouTube videos only show what people want you to see
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Because the burn is more attractive to people than deer Theres a lot of scrub tracks cut to it, look along the ridge, there will be a track on it already

Rather than trying to find the easiest track, just hunt your way there

You will find your already in the easiest place to find Sika, all the other gully heads in the valley hold deer, and most often will hold more than the burn

YouTube videos only show what people want you to see
    Admittedly been quite some time since I've been there but agree with this. Hunt the gully heads all through the valley. I did quite a bit of night time navigation through that valley (don't ask, I was working doing weird scientist things) and got squealed at in pretty much every gully head I traversed through.

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    Admittedly been quite some time since I've been there but agree with this. Hunt the gully heads all through the valley. I did quite a bit of night time navigation through that valley (don't ask, I was working doing weird scientist things) and got squealed at in pretty much every gully head I traversed through.
    Oh the cruelty of it all. Fancy saying don't ask was doing wierd scientists things. Now I'm imagining a white coated, insane hair, looking like it's had a million volts thru it, round glasses magnifying eyes to a huge size, running around in Bush middle of night. Up to strange unwarranted experiments on wild life.
    Probly the scariest thought I've ever had about the Bush. :p
    Sika stag likes this.

Take the track from tussock over to the Boyd to the river, then downstream from there. As @7mmsaum has said, there is much better hunting up the side valley’s both up and downstream when you hit the river. Did a circuit a few years ago now, went up the second valley downstream of the track, nice tussock, walked up the bush edge as it got dark, saw 2 and tipped one over. Camped on the spot and squealed at all night. Tipped another over first thing in the morning as I went through the saddle back into the tussock hut valley. From there an easy walk back to the hut.
    Good luck with your trip ��
    7mmsaum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dombo3 View Post
    Heading there this week. Haven't done the trip over to the burn for a few years - last time we bashed through the remnants of a track up the manuka scrub. Wondered if there was a smarter way.
    How'd you get on?