Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree66Likes
  • 52 Post By deer4u
  • 6 Post By deer4u
  • 2 Post By Black Rabbit
  • 3 Post By 7mm Rem Mag
  • 3 Post By Rusky

Thread: Day hunt

Day hunt

Organised Friday just gone off work, planned a Friday / Saturday overnight hunt with a mate, but as Friday approached and forecast was checked, overnighter was down graded to a day hunt, left home 3am Friday morning in the drizzle, picked up my mate in Whakatane at 4.15am, Road end into DOC bush at 6.00am, just breaking daylight, still drizzling, off we head in different directions, was meant to be a south easterly, but bugger all wind that time of the day, bush stalked and got soaked all morning without seeing a thing, sat down on ridge late morning for early lunch at turn around point of hunt, was intending to start heading back towards carpark after lunch, Finished my sammies, packed up pack and had just started stalking again, when i spied some antlers with a face attached looking at me from about 20m away, close bolt on 308 as i raised the rifle to my shoulder, firedot on shoulder, bang. Stag ran off at the shot, found him dead about 50m away from where he had been standing. A couple of photos, then began job of boning out hindquarters and backsteaks, drop meat into pillow cases and into pack, pack was full of meat, hell what a load, look at GPS and consider easiest way back to carpark, 3 hours later arrived at carpark, where my mates got coffee on, just about killed me, thinking, im getting way too old for this carry on (58) home for dinner, slept well Friday night
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by deer4u; 11-09-2022 at 01:48 PM.

Nice work
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Good stuff, you are never too old
    When hunting think safety first

" Good stuff, you are never too old " haha, right now sitting in front of computer will coffee in hand I agree with you, and i know you have to use it or lose it.... but mid arvo Friday when i staggered into the carpark, with that pack of meat on my back i, was so stuffed, but half an hour later after dry clothes and coffee, i was starting to think about a different spot to check out next weekend

Nice deer! Since you sir can carry it out, then 58 is not your age, 38 maybe. The good thing of going outdoor is your body will try to adjust with what you do and what you are plan to do, and it `s much better spend times in gym. Strong lower body strength will keep us younger, not just once, I have seen people age above 70 living in poor countryside, mountain areas still carry heavy loads.
    sharps no 1 and Moa Hunter like this.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by deer4u View Post
    " Good stuff, you are never too old " haha, right now sitting in front of computer will coffee in hand I agree with you, and i know you have to use it or lose it.... but mid arvo Friday when i staggered into the carpark, with that pack of meat on my back i, was so stuffed, but half an hour later after dry clothes and coffee, i was starting to think about a different spot to check out next weekend
    Funny you should say that, I feel the same way after every hunt.
    Funny how you forget the pain quickly and can't wait for your next trip.
    I have been known to go out and hope I don't get anything because I'm scared of the carry out.
    Rusky, BSA270 and dannyb like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Nicely done. Have seen the odd deer down bottom of near verical slips some 100m away and just kept on walking as I too think of the pain of getting back up with it.
    7mm Rem Mag, BSA270 and XR500 like this.

way to go mate! ..nailed it hope ya mate gets the next one..

cool as gd read

Good stuff. Use it or lose it!

Good read and result.
    Too old at 58?
    For decades I'd say "I'm not old enough to hunt sika yet" but at 69 I succumbed and enjoying the light loads..