Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Dealing with a hairy crotch

I really hate dealing with the hair and dirt that sticks to the exposed leg meat. I usually end up just cutting off those exposed dirty hairy bits at home but it is a waste of good meat. When I have several pieces of animal in my pack, each piece has it’s own pillowcase or cheesecloth so the hide of one piece doesn’t taint the exposed meat of another piece. Another solution is to to debone in the field, but that takes a lot of extra time and need to be careful with hygiene. I bring a lot of baby and disinfectant wipes for those trips. Others have already mentioned the cutting technique to reduce amount of hair flying around and that helps.

So no magic blue pills out there ......

As I said in the original post, I normally bone out on the spot and am very particular at keeping the meat clean from hair and other debris. In that situation, all openings of the hide are done from inside out and in the direction of hair lay. I skin it such that the hide becomes a natural barrier for any ground debris. I never wash my meat - never needed to.

On the whole leg removals in the last two hunts I have just cut through the hide from the outside in, which goes against all my learning and experience, but that's how I've seen others do it.
    I will definitely go back to standard of cutting inside to out.

In my kids days, the regularly had bush fires as their parties, woof and it’s gone
    Gibo likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    What do you call a Roman with a pubic hair in his teeth?
    Gladiator
    Took me while that one

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    So normally when I shoot an animal I fully bone it out in the field where it fell so that I am not carrying anything out that I don't eat.
    On my last two hunts, I shot one deer and 5 goats and due to bad weather and having my quad so close, I took the back steaks, and all the legs, leaving the skin on. I discovered that the best way to do this was to first take the lower leg sections off at the first joint, than cut the legs off the body and place them in large rubbish bags. Once back at base, I used a S-hook through the top of the leg (so that it is hanging pointy end down) which made is really easy to skin since all the hair is pointing down hill (same direction as your cuts) and any loose hair is falling away from the exposed meat where the legs were removed from the body.

My issue is, when cutting the legs off the body in the field, there is a huge amount of hair getting onto the freshly exposed cut around the joint (a hairy crotch) which is very annoying and time consuming to deal with later. I don't have this issue when I fully bone out as I am very particular with my cuts.

So what does everyone else do to prevent the hairy crotch syndrome?
    Ok here are some tips you may want to consider mate:

1. Hock the legs AFTER you have taken the legs off the animal and the meat is set. You need to use the legs as a handle and so you can pull on them so that the legs pull away and seperate nice and easy from the ball joints. You should be able to take a leg off with bugger all hair on the meat.

2. Are you skinning the area around the hairy crotch BEFORE you remove your legs? You take this skin off first so that there actually using any hair there to get on your meat.

3. Hang all your legs and backsteaks to allow them to cook BEFORE you put in plastic. Warm venison in plastic is a fuck up. Ideally use actual meat bags or pillow cases instead. I always set and chill meat before I put it in anything as once it’s all packed in together it generally heats up again.

4. Never wash venison it’s a fuck up. Whatever traces of hair left can be removed with a damp paper towel.

5. Skinning the hind quarters is usually where the hair gets involved. As some have said when you are making your cuts in the skin to get started always cut outwards never inwards this makes a massive difference. Take care when peeling the skin down and hold it so that it’s not touching the meat.

6. Your obviously getting yourself a lot of hind quarters so I’d expect you to be an expert at all of the above in no time at all!!

7. Nice shooting.