Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree175Likes

Thread: Decades of 1080….before and after

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Having been involved with the Nelson sanctuary since my wife was their first ever paid employee, they did an initial drop of Brodificum as soon as possible after the fence was finished and then a second drop a few weeks later. It should never need doing again as if they have a breach of the monitored fence they rapidly initiate a trapping and monitoring plan in the localised area.
    That was kind of my point earlier, they get a far heavier initial and follow up dose at their inception, with no obvious long term negative effects.
    Also with a far more persistent toxins than sodium fluoroacetate.

just thought would pass on some tips about rat trapping gleaned from many years of work on them - A young lady did a thesis on what was the best prefeed lure for rats so it was no 1) peanut butter 2) white chocolate buttons 3) Marzipan icing way down the list were what one might think such as cheese and bacon - but prefeeding was very important - very cautious feeders - little taste first - then again and again until caution over and gobble - incidentally mice never get past the cautious taste regime that's why so hard to poison - most people go wrong with putting out a heap of bait and thinking yup rats gone - no little bit little bit little bit and once strong feeding then wham -good luck
    Woody, Moa Hunter and Finnwolf like this.

I've been using cahe traps about the place and once aged a bit they catch rsts well with peanut butter bait. I usually smear a very thin trail into the cage as well, as enticement. I have also caught several birds especially thrushes and waxeyes in the cage traps and easily release them unharmed.
    Finnwolf likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Banned
    Having been involved with the Nelson sanctuary since my wife was their first ever paid employee, they did an initial drop of Brodificum as soon as possible after the fence was finished and then a second drop a few weeks later. It should never need doing again as if they have a breach of the monitored fence they rapidly initiate a trapping and monitoring plan in the localised area.
    I dont think that Brodi is airdropped anymore ? Been a few problems:
    The impacts of brodifacoum-poisoning operations
    on populations of non-target species that might have
    eaten baits have been monitored in several studies.
    Three indigenous bird species (western weka,
    Stewart Island weka, and pukeko) have been severely reduced in poisoned areas. For example, the
    entire population of western weka on Tawhitinui
    Island was exterminated by consumption of Talon®
    50WB intended for ship rats, which they obtained
    by reaching into bait stations, by eating baits dropped
    by rats, and by eating dead or dying rats (Taylor
    1984). About 80-90% of the Stewart Island weka on

Banned
    I dont think that Brodi is airdropped anymore ? Been a few problems:
    "The impacts of brodifacoum-poisoning operations
    on populations of non-target species that might have
    eaten baits have been monitored in several studies.
    Three indigenous bird species (western weka,
    Stewart Island weka, and pukeko) have been severely reduced in poisoned areas. For example, the
    entire population of western weka on Tawhitinui
    Island was exterminated by consumption of Talon®
    50WB intended for ship rats, which they obtained
    by reaching into bait stations, by eating baits dropped
    by rats, and by eating dead or dying rats (Taylor
    1984). About 80-90% of the Stewart Island weka on etc "
    Woody likes this.

Yes, Brodifacoum was used and aerially applied for the Brook Sanctuary.
    As have most other of the offshore predator free islands.

Quote Originally Posted by Copelli View Post
    So from what you're saying the 1080 has been (very) effective against possums, but not against deer, goats and pigs. But isn't this what we hunters want? - i.e. poison drops NOT wiping out deer populations etc? So, has 1080 in fact been the the Bogey Man we all love to hate?

I'm confused.
    Very area, season, density dependent as seen by the molesworth study seeing 90+% kill rate in deer and even pretty bloody high with deer repellant.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    Very area, season, density dependent as seen by the molesworth study seeing 90+% kill rate in deer and even pretty bloody high with deer repellant.
    From OSPRI to me... 14/09/21

I am writing to update you on our TBfree aerial operations at Molesworth & Muller Stations this winter.
    OSPRI’s TBfree programme is continuously reviewing operational effectiveness and seeking to reduce environmental impacts and we have completed trialling of aerial low sow baiting and deer repellent over approximately 70,000 total hectares at Bush Gully, Tarndale, Saxton and Severn blocks.
    From recent findings of possum control trials undertaken by Manaaki Whenua Landcare Research, we have learned 100% of radio collared possums across all treatment areas were eradicated within 5 days of the aerial 1080 operation. The possum control work was timed to coincide with the start of winter to enable quicker detoxification of aerial 1080 baits.
    This approach has proved to be successful and will support our long-term goal of reducing possum numbers to sustainable levels so that the cycle of wildlife TB infection in cattle herds at Molesworth will be broken.
    Manaaki Whenua Landcare Research undertook deer repellent trials to investigate how OSPRI can minimise impacts on feral deer and reduce mortality rates following aerial pest control operations. Orillion bait incorporated with deer repellent (Prodeer) was spread across the entire treatment area and the results show that it has performed well in the Molesworth high country environment.

SUMMARY OF RESULTS:
    · Possum kill: Possum control efficacy was high under all three baiting treatments. 100% collared possum mortality is reported to have happened within 5 days of the aerial operation commencing.
    · Deer by-kill: In the Bush Gully & Tarndale blocks (standard 2kg/ha broadcast) 39 radio collared deer were confirmed present in the block at the time of the aerial operation. Of the 39, 2 deer died on the day of the aerial operation, indicating an estimated incidental by-kill of 5.1%
    Researchers also observed 358 non-collared deer within the treatment area, 351 were alive, 7 dead.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

So by-kill of deer is either 90+% or 5% ...

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    Exactly. Money talks.
    The deers wars came and went. Now deer numbers steadily increase without the same magnitude of pressure from private enterprise as cost, compliance and complexity increase and markets change with the passage of time.
    The markets for venison still exist for one example - however they have been severely constrained due to large areas where animals cannot be taken for consumption due to the risk of residual levels of poison detecable in the animal products. Any shipment heading overseas needs to be at zero detectable, or the entire shipment is canned which couold run many tens of containers. Financial suicide to risk it... I know of a few outfits that could start up export tomorrow if not for the risk - this is the same as recently found with 1080 detectable residues in certain honey products.

Poisoning is a solution, that is true but the answer I don't think is solely poisoning and solely 'uncontrolled' air dropping as the broadcast method. Applying the bait by station, logging/documenting and either disposing or recovering of carcasses, and recovery of unused baits as well as funding a research regime for testing and establishing levels of residual poisons across the feral populations would go a long way towards allowing a commercial control mechanism to restart. Against that - you have a lot of potential for spatial conflict on increasing numbers of people wanting to utilise a shrinking allocation for resource (this is the same problem with commercial/recreational fisheries in a nutshell).
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    just thought would pass on some tips about rat trapping gleaned from many years of work on them - A young lady did a thesis on what was the best prefeed lure for rats so it was no 1) peanut butter 2) white chocolate buttons 3) Marzipan icing way down the list were what one might think such as cheese and bacon - but prefeeding was very important - very cautious feeders - little taste first - then again and again until caution over and gobble - incidentally mice never get past the cautious taste regime that's why so hard to poison - most people go wrong with putting out a heap of bait and thinking yup rats gone - no little bit little bit little bit and once strong feeding then wham -good luck
    Intersting - the little sods here would not touch peanut butter at all. Never tried icing but did try almonds - no joy from them either. White chocolate buttons I suspect would get non-target bycatch and that would likely end up in an argument with the missus (kids fingers hahaha). No, the go to trap bait for me now is either apple with skin or pear. Maybe avo if I'm short - lesson being I think is feed the little ratty bastards on what they are expecting to find as food and you don't suffer the same level of bait caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    Yes, Brodifacoum was used and aerially applied for the Brook Sanctuary.
    As have most other of the offshore predator free islands.
    It certainly was aerial dropped there. Not only did my wife work for them but I also knew the managers of the campground right next to the sanctuary at the time

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Intersting - the little sods here would not touch peanut butter at all. Never tried icing but did try almonds - no joy from them either. White chocolate buttons I suspect would get non-target bycatch and that would likely end up in an argument with the missus (kids fingers hahaha). No, the go to trap bait for me now is either apple with skin or pear. Maybe avo if I'm short - lesson being I think is feed the little ratty bastards on what they are expecting to find as food and you don't suffer the same level of bait caution.
    They love grain and seeds, that's why flour works so well - visual + smell. One night driving back over Otira I saw at least 30 possums out on the road eating grain that had come off a truck that day. This was at a time when there weren't that many koons about and it was uncommon to see more than two for the whole trip. Flour + icing sugar + lure was always the pre-feed for cyanide lines, I think the flour did the luring and the cinnamon, eucalyptus, aniseed etc etc just made the possumer happy

Quote Originally Posted by Shamus_ View Post
    So by-kill of deer is either 90+% or 5% ...
    That’s obtuse. The 5 percent death rate is with repellent. The higher by kill rates are without repellent at max sow rate.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    M
    Sultanas are my go-to bait, sometimes with a smear of peanut butter.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’