Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Deer taking over Lower Hutt

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings All,
    Must get those sub sonic loads sorted for my suppressed .308. We live in the country so no problem with poking a hole in the neighbors house. Might be some successful hunts left in me yet.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Sounds like a job for .300 Blackout in a Howa Mini

They won't green rain in urban areas nor a heli shoot. They tried a heli & ground shoot of goats around Wellington Coasts and farm hills and bleated they where going to wipe them out for once and for all...nope, plenty of goats still around.

The tarras has/is getting a pretty much total coverage of 1080 this season, in the past it was done in sections.

Good news is that you don't need to buy a farm to have your own private hunting spot.
    Steve123 and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    It IS newsworthy, and is a growing problem. HBRC biosecurity staff tell me the deer population are higher than the previous highest in the 50's
    We are a long way off from having populations like the 50’s, that’s just scare mongering.
    blake and Maxx like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

It IS newsworthy, and is a growing problem. HBRC biosecurity staff tell me the deer population are higher than the previous highest in the 50's, and the East Coast from here to Wellington have increasing populations. I've tried to tie it to the firearm law changes relating to pest control vs hunting, but most of our population don't understand the difference. If hunters can't keep the deer under control, green rain and AR10s out of helicopters will be the result. This is actually an opportunity for hunters to get together with regional authorities and come up with a plan to suit all parties. No idea who is going to do this of course, but now is the time.
    So when are we having a Forum cull weekend at your place? I've not no problem giving you a hand getting numbers down.
    Russian 22. and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Why would FAL be revoked?
    Discharging a firearm in a built up area.
    Cyclops and Micky Duck like this.

Who ya gonna call? DEER BUSTERS ! @Tahr999
    Tahr, Steve123, Moa Hunter and 2 others like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

The papers' comments section full of bleaters complaining about non native species wiping out native species....conveniently overlooking the phenomenal modifications the 2 legged variety of non natives have undertaken over the past 800 years in the name of progress.

First world problems that would not have rated a mention 50 years ago.

Invasion of the snowflakes seems a suitable term to describe the current crop of delicates.

Seems to me these urban dwellers have a serious case of NIMBY (not in my back yard) going on. Considering how modified the urban environment is, the grounds for managing this feral menace are scant at best - more about protecting veggies and flowers than actual ecology.
    Last edited by Bol Tackshin; 29-12-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    We are a long way off from having populations like the 50’s, that’s just scare mongering.
    I believe it, here's an example. I've been involved in a Landcare research study of lizard populations, the same guys have been monitoring the same spots for the last 5 years or so. They commented that when they started 5 years ago none of the local farmers ever mentioned deer, now every farmer is talking about them. 5 years ago they never saw a deer, this last time around they said they saw at least one almost every day on the monitoring trail. Yeah the feral deer numbers are up dramatically, I wasn't around in the 50's so can't comment on that aspect, but far more deer around than there ever was in my memory going back to 1970.

Only speaking for HB region.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

TLB
    I believe it, here's an example. I've been involved in a Landcare research study of lizard populations, the same guys have been monitoring the same spots for the last 5 years or so. They commented that when they started 5 years ago none of the local farmers ever mentioned deer, now every farmer is talking about them. 5 years ago they never saw a deer, this last time around they said they saw at least one almost every day on the monitoring trail. Yeah the feral deer numbers are up dramatically, I wasn't around in the 50's so can't comment on that aspect, but far more deer around than there ever was in my memory going back to 1970.

Only speaking for HB region.
    Not the case for all of Hawkes Bay. Some of the areas that traditionally held the highest deer numbers out towards the Ranges etc probably peaked a couple of years ago.
    Farms who never used to let people hunt are now letting people in. Others have given the deer a good tickle up and some have even got the chopper in. On some of the more open blocks the deer struggle to hide and can be controlled extremely effectively via a quick chopper flight.
    Likewise some have just told hunters to shoot everything the see and it is amazing how quickly the deer population has dropped.
    Deer aren't like goats.....they don't breed all that fast.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    The papers' comments section full of bleaters complaining about non native species wiping out native species....conveniently overlooking the phenomenal modifications the 2 legged variety of non natives have undertaken over the past 800 years in the name of progress.

First world problems that would not have rated a mention 50 years ago.

Invasion of the snowflakes seems a suitable term to describe the current crop of delicates.
    How many gardens in Wellington are full of native plants? And on top of that, how many of them own a cat or two? The sheer hypocrisy and ignorance of some urban dwelling greenies is just beyond laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Feel free to go ahead and cite the relevant legislation in it's entirety (Try §48 of the Arms Act)
    I guess if they frighten or annoy a snowflake there is a likelihood of repercussions...
    Steve123 and Micky Duck like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Banned
    The obvious solution is to copy other countries where deer are a problem and introduce Wolves as natural bio control.
    ebf, Steve123 and Russian 22. like this.

1930's I believe we were a gnats cock away from introducing mountain lions until Federated Farmers or some such told the govt: fast deer, slow sheep...which one do you think the mountain lions will feats on.
    Cyclops, Steve123 and Moa Hunter like this.

Better deer then a town full of snowflakes rainbows and unicorns.
    Steve123 likes this.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.