Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Defending hunters

Apparently the 3 main US air line are going to ban from their cargo the transport of any Africain big game trophies.
    will they greenies stump up the lost wages licence fees or plain conservation money.??
    not fn likely and not without conditions ie no licenced hunting maybe some native game take provided they approve of it.
    they got snitty with a native american tribe for excercising thier customary whale take but wouldnt say didly to the russians who plundered long after others stopped or the inuit.[tho thier take is miniscule ].
    guess they have selective moralality as well as a awe inspiring ability to know everything.
    EeeBees likes this.

Emirate is following apparently as well.
    But it won't matter much, when the Chinese take over Africa there will be little left of its fauna and the western greenies can shout all they want about it, they won't give a f..k

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Have you never in your entier hunting career wounded an animal that you didn't recover?
    Hi @MassiveAttack to answer your question….no….two reasons,

One, im still new to hunting and haven’t fired at a lot of deer,
    Two, and the reason I put something on this thread, is i class myself an ‘Ethical Hunter’, unlike the yank prick in question!!!!

I would not hunt a targeted species ‘under gunned’ (223/243) against a Lion, never mind a bow,
    if I was an egotistical prick and was using a bow, I would make sure 100% that it would be a ‘kill shot’

then, and this is the real reason for my total distaste of this persons character….i would not squat behind the lion with my bow and big cheesy grin
    so anyone/everyone would ‘assume’ I had killed it…….that is the aspect that fucks me off the most, if the story had not got out, he would have ‘claimed’ that kill

I fired and missed a spiker last year, I went up a hill to search for it or a blood trail, could not find anything,
    went back with my mates dog 3 hours later just to make sure, as I said earlier, I class myself an ‘Ethical Hunter’…..
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    will they greenies stump up the lost wages licence fees or plain conservation money.??
    not fn likely and not without conditions ie no licenced hunting maybe some native game take provided they approve of it.
    they got snitty with a native american tribe for excercising thier customary whale take but wouldnt say didly to the russians who plundered long after others stopped or the inuit.[tho thier take is miniscule ].
    guess they have selective moralality as well as a awe inspiring ability to know everything.

See this
    Ivan Carter Just Made Anti-Hunters an Awesome Offer | SportingClassicsDaily
    gadgetman, GravelBen and Toby like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post

One, im still new to hunting and haven’t fired at a lot of deer
    Indeed. No matter how ethical and well-intentioned, you will end up (like everyone else) having some poor shots or misjudgements which end up wounding animals you thought you would kill cleanly. Then you might not be able to find them afterwards, despite your best attempts. That doesn't make you unethical, just human. But maybe you will have climbed down from that high horse after some more experience.
    Pointer, Savage1, mikee and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Indeed. No matter how ethical and well-intentioned, you will end up (like everyone else) having some poor shots or misjudgements which end up wounding animals you thought you would kill cleanly. Then you might not be able to find them afterwards, despite your best attempts. That doesn't make you unethical, just human. But maybe you will have climbed down from that high horse after some more experience.
    Hi GB, Massive asked me a direct question which i answered honestly....my 'rant' wasn't about wounding an animal, one day that will happen to me too.....

my 'rant' was about the said trophy hunter claiming an animal he didnt kill...simple as that!

Ejected

One, im still new to hunting and haven’t fired at a lot of deer,
    Two, and the reason I put something on this thread, is i class myself an ‘Ethical Hunter’, unlike the yank prick in question!!!!

I would not hunt a targeted species ‘under gunned’ (223/243) against a Lion, never mind a bow,
    if I was an egotistical prick and was using a bow, I would make sure 100% that it would be a ‘kill shot’

then, and this is the real reason for my total distaste of this persons character….i would not squat behind the lion with my bow and big cheesy grin
    so anyone/everyone would ‘assume’ I had killed it…….that is the aspect that fucks me off the most, if the story had not got out, he would have ‘claimed’ that kill

I fired and missed a spiker last year, I went up a hill to search for it or a blood trail, could not find anything,
    went back with my mates dog 3 hours later just to make sure, as I said earlier, I class myself an ‘Ethical Hunter’…..
    Thanks for the honest reply. I have done more hunting than you although probably a lot less than others on here. While I also consider myself a ethical hunter I have had wounded animals that I haven't found and also, like you, shot at animals that have "dissapeared", presumably missed but possibly wounded. Like you, I have whenever possible spent hours looking for the lost animal.

Hunting isn't an exact science, if it was then it would just be shooting dairy cows in a paddock. For the hunt to be "fair chase" the animal must have a relaistic chance of escape and that often means a wounded animal can escape as well.

So wounded animals are a undeniable fact of life (as you found with your spiker). Stats for gamebird shooting can be as many as 25% hit but not recovered birds. As ethical hunters we spend our lifetimes getting better at the sport so that we can reduce that percentage but we can never reduce it to zero.

Now onto bow hunting. You may argue that it's undergunned but the fact that the human race survives today proves that this method can put food on the table and bring down the biggest animals on the planet. Bow hunting is different to rifle hunting in that there is no hydrostatic shock when the animal is hit. Animals die of blood loss rather than the shot of being shot so bow shot animals generally don't drop on the spot and normally require tracking.

Standard practise for any wounded animal is not to chase it immediatly after it's shot. Best practise is to give it at least 10min for the shock to set in and it to seeze up. If you chase it before then while it's full of adrenalin then it will run further than if you left it. I would also point out that this is a huge man eating wounded lion so sensible caution would say you don't go running into the bush after it without a plan. I would also point out that they did follow up this animal and not just go home and drink beer becasue thats easier.

So shooting it with a bow then having to track it and follow up and kill it would be fairly normal for these types of hunts. You may say this is unethical but our ancestors didn't think so and PETA would say the same about duck hunting today.

I don't see that this dentist bloke has done anything worse than what we all have done during our hunting career. Personally I don't consider an animal that I have paid for a valid trophy but I also don't feel the need to criticize and judge the dentist bloke.

I see in todays news that Zimbabwe has reopened lion hunting so I guess they are a sensible lot over in Africa.
    Pointer, gadgetman, R93 and 3 others like this.

stumbled onto this today while I was a home babysitting. goes for 2.5 hrs but is interesting if you find the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI6mHeDvOGI

watch out for f bombs
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Huk
    I like Crimpys reply good on ya mate well said

Cheers @MassiveAttack I now understand your stance and reasoning for your views, I learnt something new
    From your post as regards bow hunting and the way it is done......ignorance on my part, so cheers again mate....

Scouser they are Americans, different mind set to yours, listening to my old mate guiding them in the SI in the 70s, they usually are arm chair shooters not keen on the hard yards, that's a generalisation, but his stories make you laugh, especially arriving to hunt in the Southern Alps, bit to much for most of them!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Defending hunters

Cheers @MassiveAttack I now understand your stance and reasoning for your views, I learnt something new
    From your post as regards bow hunting and the way it is done......ignorance on my part, so cheers again mate....
    Good on ya Scouser!

Not to have a go at you, but it does illustrate a point that all these thousands of people up in arms about this and hunting in general don't know a hundredth of what you know about African hunting, and yet they all have an opinion on how Africa should be run and what is best for the wildlife there and call bullshit every time someone actually presents some facts that support it. Good on you for listening to facts and changing your opinion to what you now know, it's what normal reasonable people should do!

It's a pointless argument with them as emotion and ignorance blinds any possible reason that is put forward to them.

The liberal media touting hunters as murdering villains before any facts are even available doesn't help either, seems that facts are never allowed to get in the way of a sensationalist story these days!
    gadgetman, mikee and Scouser like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Found this on the 'other pub'......very interesting

Thoughts on African Lions, Big Game Trophies, and Hunting in America - MeatEater...

There is an easy way to keep out of the spotlight......share with friends and family not the entire fricken world

Name:  caveman fagbook.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  27.2 KB
    JoshC and Scouser like this.

Ejected
    Now I am really confused. I thought I was on a internet forum but here we have people listening to both sides of an argument and changing their point of view. Must be a glitch in the matrix.

I will agree with you on one point. I don't consider an animal you have paid for to be a trophy worth bragging about. However if someone else does I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to spend their money on it.