Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

View Poll Results: WHAT deer do you shoot normally

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • antlered stags only

2 1.47%
  • the first animal I see

60 44.12%
  • hinds where possible

24 17.65%
  • spikers where possible

2 1.47%
  • yearlings where possible

16 11.76%
  • given the choice ....hinds first

32 23.53%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree239Likes

Thread: do you shoot hinds???

Sorry @Tahr, not a factual reference merely an assumption/opinion I guess - more importantly not a point I was trying to make.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Tahrzan View Post
    Sorry @Tahr, not a factual reference merely an assumption/opinion I guess - more importantly not a point I was trying to make.
    Cheers
    OK

NRT
    Forest service boys targeted white tail on Stewart island in the eighties 1080 gel on board leaf very effective

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NRT View Post
    Forest service boys targeted white tail on Stewart island in the eighties 1080 gel on board leaf very effective

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk
    Yes. Long time ago, eh.

The thing is, that if DOC or whoever really wanted to poison deer they would up the sowing and poison rate in the baits and do what ever was necessary, and absolutely devastate them. Molesworth was a taster, but fortunately OSPRI has backed off that approach. I don't like the by-kill, but its nothing like what would happen if they turned their mind to it eradicating deer.

The Game Council and NZDA have made good inroads into persuading the authorities to use repellent so we need to do our bit and get on with shooting more hinds when we get the choice or opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    They won’t come out and say they are targeting deer but they certainly don’t care about deer getting killed as a by/kill. If deer repellent isn’t used they are targeting they are targeting deer along with rats possums and every other critter that eats it.
    It would be a bit naive to suggest that DoC aren’t targeting deer in these 1080 drops.
    I agree. Im certain too they don't care about by-kill, but as I said, if they targeted deer specifically they would be devastated. Fortunately, they are not.

I'm almost certain after talking to a guy at ospri that targeting ungulated was deemed animal cruelty and has been illegal for a long time. Hence why no-one can name a recent instance of targeted deer poisoning. They get away from this by using the bykill side of things put in to allow for accidental killing of natives. Now do I think they are happy when they knock down deer populations, yeh 100%. They have claimed that they don't use deer repellent due to cost but that's dubious. They have however recently improved the deer repellent as was discussed at the North Canty NZDA awhile ago where the old way was hand applied where baits where laid out on a tarp and sprayed (some blood and box type mix) with the repellant and then rolled over to get full coating. Obviously this is labor intensive and leaves a high chance that its done poorly or not at all by a lazy pilot. The new stuff was made to be mixed directly into the pellet at manufacturing. From the studys done this doubled the effectiveness as a deer repellant and halfed the cost. This is was our groups need to be pushing to be required in every drop that happens. We won't stop them dropping the stuff so we need damage control and if its made cheap enough we a re way more likely to get the general public behind needing to use deer repellant than to get them to make it stop all together.
    Arthur McBride likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    They’ve been targeting possums and rats for the last 60 years and they’re certainly not devastated.
    So Molesworth was nothing to be concerned about then?

Damned Im in an argumentative frame of mind. Lockdown I guess

Micky Duck
    It's depends on the AREA and time of year in SOMEPLACES.
    So not a blanket yes.
    But yes.
    KH
    Micky Duck likes this.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

Quote Originally Posted by odds0und View Post
    Definitely, just not when in fawn.
    Might I respectfully suggest that hinds are usually pregnant or feeding a fawn. They pretty much go from one state to the next. For me I am more than comfortable shooting pregnant hinds and especially if the area needs it. Better than shooting them when fawn is on the ground and dependent (first two to three months).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    On DOC land? News to me. Im not aware of a single instance where deer have been the target species. Can you quote an example?
    All the drops on both sides of the Taramakua following round Inchbonnie the Crooked River, Bell Hill, Haupiri to the Grey was Ospri TB control and took out a very high percentage of deer. The two drops over the whole of the Victorias, same. Lower Buller, Inangahua / Mackley TB control deer targeted

Banned
    Forgot to add, Rotoiti, Rotoroa, Sabine, Travers etc deer 1080ed during 'Lockdown' drop last year

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Forgot to add, Rotoiti, Rotoroa, Sabine, Travers etc deer 1080ed during 'Lockdown' drop last year
    Garth sorry but that's not true if your talking Aerial drops I confirmed it with a mate in Pest control and aerial 1080 is very much illegal to use targeting deer. The only currently approved method of targeting deer with 1080 is 1080 paste and that hasn't been used in Modern times all of these drops you will find are TB control targeting possums. No argument on the deer they kill but saying they are deer targeted isn't fact
    7mmwsm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    by not including deer repellant then deer are a target.
    No. As stated previously. If they wanted to target deer they would modify the rate, concentration and bait, and devastate them. But its not approved for use in that way. Yes, there is often a by-kill but that is a lot different to specific targeting.

1080 is nasty but necessary for the battle against the little critters - we just need to keep up the fight for repellent and funding for alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    by not including deer repellant then deer are a target.
    Not true there are many other reasons not to include it including cost and labour... I'm not saying they arent happy with the results of not including repellant but stretching the truth into something it's not is the tool of the antihunting woke bridgade we as hunters should be better than that.
    Tahr likes this.