Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: DOC hit their target of 10,000 tahr.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Helicopter was not DOC property, nor was pilot DOC employee, so they don't carry cost of that.

They will be invoiced for costs incurred - Its called Hire. If the Pilot was under contract even as a contractor and not an employee, they are still responsible for what happens when they are paying him to do the job. We are responsible for subbies on our site even though they are not our employees. So correct, DoC did not own the chopper or employ the pilot, but the chopper and pilot was being paid for by DoC and will fall under the cost of the operation.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Bagheera likes this.

The chopper cost would more likely be $1500-$2000hr
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

$25 plus gst per minute for a robbie 44

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    just been on....nothing drastic said etc etc...I did notice they showed thar being pursued but didnt shot any being shot....cant be upsetting the public with reality now.
    we wouldn't want guns to be seen as useful on a nationally broadcast program at prime time now would we

lets just keep reminding everyone about the christchurch tragedy while confiscating guns and hemorrhaging NZ money
    xtightg likes this.

All that is rather crazy in so many ways...

One thing I have never really understood even though I have been following this issue for quite a while: Yes, bulls are not being targeted. But I would imagine females have no chance to escape in most cases as there is too little cover. Is that true? If yes, does it mean total eradication of females in the given areas? Or are some mobs of tahr being skipped or something? Might be naive but I'm wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    c...I did notice they showed thar being pursued but didnt shot any being shot....cant be upsetting the public with reality now.
    Public now know that guns are extremely scary and the mere sight of one will be enough for Tahr to have died of fright.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterAT View Post
    All that is rather crazy in so many ways...

One thing I have never really understood even though I have been following this issue for quite a while: Yes, bulls are not being targeted. But I would imagine females have no chance to escape in most cases as there is too little cover. Is that true? If yes, does it mean total eradication of females in the given areas? Or are some mobs of tahr being skipped or something? Might be naive but I'm wondering.
    I haven't shot from a chopper but I expect they can hide and scatter and the chopper cant follow them all. Many animals are near scrub or tussock, not out on open rock or snow.
    hotsoup likes this.

What do you guys think of the exclusion zones ?
    Do you want tahr over a wider area of the country ? Are you OK with search and destroy in the Matukituki and Rakaia ?
    Searching for tahr when there are hardly any there IS expensive.
    What is the relative benefit of this vs creaming off thousands of easy tahr in their established range ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    I haven't shot from a chopper but I expect they can hide and scatter and the chopper cant follow them all. Many animals are near scrub or tussock, not out on open rock or snow.
    That makes sense. Thanks!

MB
    It would be great to see some video footage of the cull on mainstream media. I doubt the greenies would have the courage of their convictions if they saw the slaughter, not to mention the government-funded use of evil firearms. It would cause some serious snowflake triggering and a backlash.
    hotsoup and xtightg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    It would be great to see some video footage of the cull on mainstream media. I doubt the greenies would have the courage of their convictions if they saw the slaughter, not to mention the government-funded use of evil firearms. It would cause some serious snowflake triggering and a backlash.
    Careful now, next will be a ban on hunting
    hotsoup likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Careful now, next will be a ban on hunting
    To be honest, I don't think I would want to watch a whole load of animals being shot (maimed?) by someone shooting from a helicopter. As for a ban on hunting, that won't be necessary because there won't be anything left to hunt if this ideology wins.
    xtightg likes this.