Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Donald Trump's regime reverses ban on elephant trophies..

Was a TedX talk somewhere by a conservationist who praised hunting initiatives in Africa as a necessary evil for the sustainability of the wildlife. Supposedly, as land undergoes development and people and animal territories collide, there is often pressure for rural tribes and communities to kill invasive predators and territorial wildlife in order to save their source(s) of income (crops, farm animals etc). When a price can be put on these animals' heads, however, rather than killing them all off, there is an incentive for them to maintain populations -- as revenue can be generated.

It's all rather sad - but then that's life. All species on this planet (us included), are constantly competing with one another.

I wouldn't mind hunting Africa one day. No Elephants or cats, though. Maybe just a Springbok (they're not as cute...).
    A330driver likes this.

The thing to remember is that it is only the US (and possibly EU) that has banned the import of trophy hunted elephant. Pretty sure anyone in NZ with the correct paperwork can import an elephant trophy from Africa.

Bus driver
    Lol.....take the weekend off mate....Trump is not the subject here,try and get past that....most of us don't give a fuck about trump....the subject of trophy hunting,poaching etc is real,when you have actually seen it,then it hits home.

There’s always politics involved in issues like this

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Don't believe for a second that orange oompah loompah has the interests of conservation at heart - he doesn't have the attention span to read any briefing longer than one page....
    This is nothing but a distraction for some unpalatable changes or some unpleasant news about to break (think Russia probe? Trump's own Weinstein/Spacey moment...) yet people snap it up like it's top of the offal pit/....
    Last edited by A330driver; 19-11-2017 at 05:08 AM.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    The thing to remember is that it is only the US (and possibly EU) that has banned the import of trophy hunted elephant. Pretty sure anyone in NZ with the correct paperwork can import an elephant trophy from Africa.
    ...as long as it doesn't breach any CITES(?) agreements?

Quote Originally Posted by A330driver View Post
    Lol.....take the weekend off mate....Trump is not the subject here,try and get past that....most of us don't give a fuck about trump....the subject of trophy hunting,poaching etc is real,when you have actually seen it,then it hits home.

There’s always politics involved in issues like this
    Point taken - good conversation, but it really is just a distraction.
    A330driver likes this.

Elephants are on the CITIES agreement, but on a schedule that allows their hunting and export. Zimbabwe gets given a certain number of elephants that can be legally hunted and exported every year. America for some reason does not recognise this CITIES agreement and imposes their own restrictions on importing elephant tusks into USA.
    Nickoli and A330driver like this.

Bus driver
    Totally agree mate,and not trying to be an arse here......For years,the yank administrations have always played politics with this issue(and others)its all about money and fronts,....perceived,real or not.This is noth8ng more than Phrump getting back at Obama in his bullshit way,.......but the issue ,the core issue is real,irregardless of the politics,......real people,concerned people,are willing to support management techniques to preserve these animals.

No matter what side of the fence,or argument one supports,it’s about trying to do the “right” thing,and that in itself is up for debate

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Point taken - good conversation, but it really is just a distraction.
    Nickoli likes this.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

In Zimbabwe 90% of the folk are unemployed, it's no wonder poaching is rife, I read a book recently written by a PH, he said in regards to animals "if it Pays it Stays" meaning game animals that have monetary value will be actively managed & looked after.
    Frodo likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Also remember that most areas in Kenya Tanzania and other countries that have parks where once hunting blocks......Serengeti, Masi Mara to name a couple.
    If it wasn't for hunting those parks would not be there today....oh and you can also thank that fly
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Trump has postponed the removal of the ivory import ban, probably will not remove the ban is the feeling people have on a few other forums.

Americans will still be allowed to hunt elephant in Africa, just not bring the ivory back to America.

for those who remeber the australian hunting mag with nick harvey & col allison writng .Col for years had a leopard trophy here in NZ that he couldnt bring into aussie due to CITIES ,and he frequently mentioned this in his articles on african safaris
    .Another one i remember was a guide hed just finished hunting with being gored to death by an elephant cow ,who it seemed was having one of those"i dont like fuck all days"and latched onto a human target.
    for a real humorous take (way way beyond anything mrs trumps wee carrot top donny could utter) ,try Peter Hathaway Capsticks "death in the long grass"
    Mr capstick devotes a whole chapter to jumbos psycopathic initiatives toward the smokestick bearing minute lumps of vertical DNA which invade his patchand how jumbo creatively can remodel you so "even your dear old mumwouldnt know if youre lying face up or down in the casket.shell definitely think youve put on weight -probably due to the copious quantities of dirt jumbo added to you as he grinds you into the dirt before attempting a goal by hurling you over a tree or three!".
    all makes for jolly good bedtime reading does that!
    harsh as it maybe -in a way a trophy hunters humane dispatch is more preferable to the searing pain and madness of a primitve natives snare spears or sprays of AK47 military ammo and the final indignity of lions tearing you apart as you breathe your last in a lingering haze of slow death.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    People who go out in the roar are Trophy Hunters. Looking for the best Stag they can find to hang it's skull and antlers on the wall. A big beautiful red is just as magestic as an elephant. I fail to see the difference
    Simply put paddy, and I'm not trying to start an argument but a red stag magnificent or not, is classed as a pest in New Zealand and is not a threatened species.........especially when I shoot at them.......
    A330driver and Paddy79 like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Simply put paddy, and I'm not trying to start an argument but a red stag magnificent or not, is classed as a pest in New Zealand and is not a threatened species.........especially when I shoot at them.......
    Elephants are not threatened in these areas, in fact they have organised culls to take pressure off the local villages etc. If these organised hunts don't happen, the local authorities often simply don't get paid (sometimes for months and months) and turn poacher to pay their way. First thing they go for are valuable stuff - pretty pelts and rhino horn etc, the chinese ask no questions. Simply put: No paid hunts, it all comes crashing down.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Imagine if you HAD to pay to hunt a dirty sika here in NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    Imagine if you HAD to pay to hunt a dirty sika here in NZ
    ...plenty of "trophy hunters" do