Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Driven shoot, Northland-style

Shenstone! Now that's a blast from the past.
    When I was a teenager I used to spend holidays there. It was shenstone development block back then 400 acres of pasture 1000 or more of gum swamp and then sand dunes to 90 mile beach.
    Wally Wymer was the manager, ( early 70s) he had an old maori lady Mrs Abraham as house keeper, she used to go home to te hapua on weekends leaving a huge pot of stew.
    We had the first true 4wd tractor a same in the area and often got called out to pull tourist busses out of the tepaki stream.
    Pigs were the problem then and where few days even over lambing there would be guys hunting.
    Good luck, as i recall the occasional pig dog went missing, most were probably killed by pigs but some probably took a liking to living alone.
    I still remember the phone no after all these years.
    Micky Duck and trapperjohn like this.

The old dog rangers used to carry the now banned ruger 44 carbine as a dog control measure!!

there is very interesting chapter in one of my later hunting books...hunting with the best I THINK.....guy close to Taupo who had dog problems,used to chase them on horsback and into them with mini 14 and 30 round mag...just kept shooting till they were hit,he said when hit they are like goats and just stop and scream allowing finish off....not a pretty thought but worried stock sure isnt pretty either.
    hopefully member here who going out will keep us posted WITHOUT PHOTOS of how they get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    there is very interesting chapter in one of my later hunting books...hunting with the best I THINK.....guy close to Taupo who had dog problems,used to chase them on horsback and into them with mini 14 and 30 round mag...just kept shooting till they were hit,he said when hit they are like goats and just stop and scream allowing finish off....not a pretty thought but worried stock sure isnt pretty either.
    hopefully member here who going out will keep us posted WITHOUT PHOTOS of how they get on.
    I went up to Shenstone for Friday night. We were out for the whole night, 4.30pm through to 7.30am. I never thought it could get so cold in the North, it was bloody freezing just sitting and waiting. It seems that the dogs are getting smarter. They have broken up into much smaller groups, mainly singles and pairs. There were about 5 of us out that night some dogs were seen but they bolted the moment there was even a hint of human presence. The next day with the help of some of the locals we tried to flush them out with a human chain working through a large section of the bush edge. No dogs were even seen, it looks like they are traveling a fair distance back to wherever they spend the day holed up. I really do take my hat off to John, Anne-Marie, Jason and the others up there who have been up all night for multiple night in succession as well as continuing to run the farm. I plan to be back up there this week week to help out again.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

I'm gonna don my flame suit and suggest 1080 laced goat meat or something like they do with dingoes and wild dogs in Aus

bitch in season......
    Woody, Marty Henry and XR500 like this.

And tethered judas goats
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

"Donated terminal cows as bait" will get the urban public going betcha

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3003...id=app-android

They will have no idea

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    If its anything like the old Waitakere Council, they wont have any rangers that have a FAL Until we went to the Super City, I used to get calls from some of the rangers when a firearm was called for.
    It's none of these answers.

The answer lies in the legislation. The Dog Control Act which is administered by district councils (not regional).

The is no trigger to shoot dogs "just because". The dogs have to be in the act of "worrying or disturbing stock". Even then, you'd have to witness it. Yes, you can use a fair amount of poetic license but you still have to make sure you can prove you acted lawfully if the questions are asked (and they will be by animal rights groups and others).

There is no approved toxin for controlling dogs in NZ so suggesting that is unhelpful.

Be helpful if people had an understanding the legislation and what authorities can and cant do before running them down. That is poor form.

Part of the cause of the issue lies with landowners (private or corporate) and district councils not enforcing the Act well. i.e. how many patrols has district council carried out in areas where there is known to be unregistered dogs roaming? How many operations have forestry companies carried out to minimize and prosecute unlawful hunting in those areas? I can put sound money that the answer to those is likely zero in the last year.
    Sideshow and Finnwolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x45 View Post
    It's none of these answers.

The answer lies in the legislation. The Dog Control Act which is administered by district councils (not regional).

The is no trigger to shoot dogs "just because". The dogs have to be in the act of "worrying or disturbing stock". Even then, you'd have to witness it. Yes, you can use a fair amount of poetic license but you still have to make sure you can prove you acted lawfully if the questions are asked (and they will be by animal rights groups and others).

There is no approved toxin for controlling dogs in NZ so suggesting that is unhelpful.

Be helpful if people had an understanding the legislation and what authorities can and cant do before running them down. That is poor form.

Part of the cause of the issue lies with landowners (private or corporate) and district councils not enforcing the Act well. i.e. how many patrols has district council carried out in areas where there is known to be unregistered dogs roaming? How many operations have forestry companies carried out to minimize and prosecute unlawful hunting in those areas? I can put sound money that the answer to those is likely zero in the last year.
    I should have made it clearer that I wasnt referring to putting down dogs. The last few times were dealing with wild stock ( sheep/goats/cattle etc) and also included removing 2 deer from the environs of Swanson/Ranui from a bush reserve........(Meat was turned into sausages for the Woodhill Take a Kid Hunting BBQ)

Gone but not forgotten
    Here is the actual wording. Note is says either seize or destroy, you cant catch the dog then kill it.
    I don't know the legal definition of "running at large" is, I have heard somewhere (maybe not reliable) that the dog only has to be loose in the paddock and doesn't have to be in the act of attacking the stock.

60 Seizure or destruction of dog running at large among stock or poultry
    (1) The owner of any stock or poultry or that owner’s agent or employee, or any constable, dog control officer, or dog ranger acting at the request of that owner, may forthwith either seize or destroy any dog running at large among that stock or poultry.
    (2) Where, under subsection (1), a dog is seized by any person other than a dog control officer or dog ranger, that person shall ensure that the dog is returned to its owner or delivered into the custody of a dog control officer or dog ranger.