Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Educate this Canadian

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    NZ has become very soft...I think it is our leadership...here in NZ we still separate the men from the boys, with crowbars...But I am with you I don't really understand why people take a perfectly good rifle and chop half the barrel off and then make a muffler to take it back to it's original length, if not longer and then bitch cos the rifle wont group
    Most rifles will group better shortened and suppressed (but may lose a bit of velocity depending on length and chambering etc), so I'm not sure what your point is there? Are you saying damaging your hearing for no real advantage makes you feel more manly?
    tetawa, Dama dama, 6x47 and 2 others like this.

when I get even older and grumpier,my hearing should still allow me to hear wifey whisper sweet nothings in my ears....tinitus has set in so fitting suppressors was a no brainer for me...I bush hunt mostly so dont have time to fit hearing protection...the reduction in felt recoil is such that it allows me to load hot and not revert to flinching AGAIN.... try a rifle fitted with suppressor and you wont go back....spend a day shooting lots of rounds eg wallaby hunting and the guy without a suppressor finds he ends up hunting alone...my ears hate the big boom now and ring badly...suppressors have stopped it for me.
    tetawa, Dama dama, 57jl and 3 others like this.

they make them for shotguns now...but we arent allowed to use them for gamebirds....

Every centrefire rifle in the safe has a suppressor, and most of the rimfires. I was rather late getting into the shooting business and had very good hearing and wanted to keep my hearing in very good order. Reading up on the advantages and disadvantages it was a simple choice.

Every rifle that was suppressed had improved accuracy. The biggest improvement being the cheap 223 that went from 3"-4" at 100m to 1/2" groups.

It's not about being softer, more about being sensible.
    Dama dama and Micky Duck like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Yep. Suppressor fan boy here. Won’t do my Winchester 94 30-30 but both other CF wear a can. Most .22s wear one plus HMR. If I could do one for the shotties I would as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, what was that....I'm pretty deaf these days

Only just getting into hunting in my 50's and my only centrefire is getting a can fitted in the next couple of months when funds to do so are available. Being in construction I want to retain what hearing I still have left.
    Steve123 and Joe_90 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Only just getting into hunting in my 50's and my only centrefire is getting a can fitted in the next couple of months when funds to do so are available. Being in construction I want to retain what hearing I still have left.
    Speaking of funds, I priced one of those "mufflers" from Brownell's (USA) and the things cost more than my rifles. Earmuffs are a lot cheaper and work for construction too.
    Resident of "The Great White North" a.k.a. Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    Either your rifles are dirt cheap or your suppressors are bloody expensive......
    The dollar is in your favour....why not buy one here in NZ?

Cheers
    Phil
    Brownell's prices range from $600 to $1100 USD so 35% more in Canadian dollars. Most of my rifles are military Swedish M-96, M-38 and a couple M-98's and none cost me more than $150, so it's hard to justify a suppressor.

Have a look at DPT - one of the banner adds at the top of the page... Around CDN$250 for a muzzle forward modular, or a bit more for the overbarrel model. All of them are quality products.
    gadgetman and timattalon like this.

Plus shipping from the USA has to clear customs so your looking at duty on top sometimes 30-40% plus it would only be good for hunting in NZ, makes ordering anything from the US way too costly, I get stuff i want shipped to my buddies in upstate NY but firearms you can't do!

Quote Originally Posted by moosemeat View Post
    Plus shipping from the USA has to clear customs so your looking at duty on top sometimes 30-40% plus it would only be good for hunting in NZ, makes ordering anything from the US way too costly, I get stuff i want shipped to my buddies in upstate NY but firearms you can't do!
    WHat part of Ontario are you guys I have family around London and Sarnia and spent a couple of seasons racing yachts on Lake Huron based out of Kincardine, but that was way back in the 90's

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    Have a look at DPT - one of the banner adds at the top of the page... Around CDN$250 for a muzzle forward modular, or a bit more for the overbarrel model. All of them are quality products.
    .......... and light and small as. Unlike the monstrosities I see on a American rifles, most of which have some bloody great camo thing with bungees wrapped around them, for some reason.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    WHat part of Ontario are you guys I have family around London and Sarnia and spent a couple of seasons racing yachts on Lake Huron based out of Kincardine, but that was way back in the 90's
    I'm just north of Toronto,I also spent time in Kincardine working on the Bruce nuclear station and even worked in Sarnia in "chemical valley"

I’m in Courtice just outside of Oshawa east of Toronto