Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Emergency shelter

Quote Originally Posted by Shootm View Post
    Hey @stretch can you please put up a picture. Been into H&F today but couldn't seem to find one.

The "fabric" is silver on the inside, orange on the outside. It's similar to Tyvek, but breathable. www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZEXCBG
    Last edited by stretch; 27-02-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Last edited by HNTMAD; 27-02-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

https://trademe.co.nz/1268181560 as cheap as you'll find anywhere.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Cheers fellas

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Quote Originally Posted by Shootm View Post
    It's interesting as there's a she'll be right attitude until it turns to custard. I've been thinking about it for ages, but think it's time to invest in a plb.
    Yes buy one, a must have. But would have you activated it just so you diddn't have to spoon with Adam?
    Blaser and HNTMAD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    Yes buy one, a must have. But would have you activated it just so you diddn't have to spoon with Adam?
    Bout as good a reason as I can think of

Neither of you complained at the time!
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

havent been caught out often,twice I can think of. if you realise its going to happen, stopping BEFORE its dark is the key. big pile of fern beside a log and pile on all your cloths and snuggle in. carry a lighter and a foil blanket...over the years its been used as a poncho and over top of sleeping bag once.
    with tinder dry conditions we have at present I would be very reluctant to start a fire unless 200% sure it could be controlled. big bare area with water nearby.

Agree with Mickey D. Once you realise you dont know where you are (or you are laid up injured) you need to give yourself a bit of time to build a shelter. Collect some wood too. Ive spent 1 unplanned night in the bush. As a youngster with my stepfather and mum. We made a shelter and got a fire going. It was a miserable rainy night but the mental boost you get from a fire is huge.
    A torch and plb and first aid kit are other essentials.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    havent been caught out often,twice I can think of. if you realise its going to happen, stopping BEFORE its dark is the key. big pile of fern beside a log and pile on all your cloths and snuggle in. carry a lighter and a foil blanket...over the years its been used as a poncho and over top of sleeping bag once.
    with tinder dry conditions we have at present I would be very reluctant to start a fire unless 200% sure it could be controlled. big bare area with water nearby.
    Yes can just see as you got that fire roaring.......in comes the monsoon bucket and you end up wet cold and covered in soot

It takes a good few hours to get enough wood to keep that fire going all night.
    Also to build a shelter that will stay dry and retain some heat.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    If you read this you will understand why we were out for the night.
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...rite-up-33376/
    It was way past dark and we were only an hour from the vehicle, not lost at all just a bad case of cramp.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

simple nylon fly sheet (Huntech style) the weight is just about non existent and takes up very little room, I take one on every overnight hunt as I dont like sleeping in huts.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

You guys did everything right.

The foil blankets at least keep the wind chill off you.

While they might not keep you comfortable they can be life savers if things turn nasty. I replace the one in my belt pack every couple of years because they age and break up.

I've never been afraid to spend a night out alone and its something we should all do every now and again to condition ourselves to it (mainly our mind). A cold night next to a late shot deer and taking your time walking out in the morning is a lot safer than crashing around in the dark. I've always told my family not to worry about me until noon the next day.

And now we have the added security of the PLB, too.