Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree79Likes
  • 42 Post By Tahr
  • 11 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By #the creeper
  • 2 Post By Trout
  • 7 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By flock
  • 10 Post By hebe
  • 4 Post By Mooseman

Thread: In the eye of the beholder.

In the eye of the beholder.

"Trophy" means different things to different people. Its contextual.

I took this chap out yesterday and he was thrilled to shoot this prime meat animal in stunning surroundings. Just look at that smile.

Name:  IMG_6445.jpeg
Views: 586
Size:  4.46 MB

Likewise, and a few days previous, this friend greatly appreciated this small rack and his pack full of meat.

Name:  IMG_6433.jpeg
Views: 575
Size:  4.36 MB

The camping out, the hut fire, the camp oven meal. The chase. The disappointments. The sweat and effort.

Pleasurable outcomes need not be measured by the amount of bone. That's just a bonus if it happens.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

you are dead right there bud....
    the set of antlers from red stag that means the most to me....wouldnt even be a middle sized sika...but the where and when and with who I was hunting with when got it makes it more special than the rest.
    Tahr, crewe2, Pengy and 8 others like this.

100% on the money with that statement Tahr!
    Good on you for sharing your hunting access with others
    Tahr and BSA270 like this.

Hunting well presented and written about there Bruce.
    Tahr and BSA270 like this.

Trophy is an interesting concept. For me its about where I am and with whom

If I am out with the dog or good mates then any animal (feather or fur) is just a nice bonus on top.

I actually get more of a kick it, if for example, the dog has made a good find on the pheasant and worked hard to produce it.....................often I flush the bird and just let it fly off its not actually about the shooting.

Sometime me and the dog sitting on the side of the hill in the quiet is trophy enough!
    Tahr, Rich007, Pengy and 4 others like this.

Flat I lived in in in a pre married life had a nice 10 pointer which deplayed various trophy's, Panties & who had scored.
    Scored her twice they went up the flag pole.
    tamamutu likes this.

I like the concept of a trophy being an animal that you see a lot of value in and will provide fantastic memories for you as you get older.

I shot a little 8 pter from Ruahine Corner 3 yrs ago with my dog, his first ever stag. The dog is the first one I’ve ever owned and I worked really hard to get him going. Watching him work that day to get that stag was priceless. That stag isnt a conventional trophy but he has value and memory for me.

This yr I shot my first really good stag, a 14 from Southland with my Dad. That stag could be considered a trophy in the conventional sense, and also provides a cool memory for me. A good stag, shot with the person who taught me almost everything I know about hunting and gave me a pursuit to put my energy into.

But I value both deer equally. I guess the beauty of hunting is you make your own judgements and ascribe your own value to an animal.
    Tahr, Brian, Rich007 and 7 others like this.

Yes trophies are memories weather they are big or small, i have a few memories out in the shed for when I struggle to walk the hills.
    Tahr, Woody, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.