Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Fallow advice

NO4

Fallow advice

Came across a small mob of fallow yesterday afternoon, they spotted or winded me before i could get set up for a shot, As i haven't hunted fallow much i have a few questions the guru's here maybe able to answer.
    Do they have a large roaming range or stay localized?
    Are they more active first light or late evening?
    Do they head for the thick stuff when it starts to rain or do they tolerate it?
    I know they have excellent eye sight. Any advice or tips muchly appreciatedName:  IMG_20230423_145926.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  6.92 MBName:  IMG_20230423_145934.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  4.39 MB
    Last edited by NO4; 24-04-2023 at 03:39 PM.
    Hot Barrels and tight lines

MSL

Fallow advice

They have small territories, won’t go far when spooked. I’ll often follow up a spooked one, and get another opportunity for a shot.
    I see them more in the morning than the evening.
    They’re not scared of the rain, but don’t like windy conditions, and will stay in thicker stuff when windy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MSL; 24-04-2023 at 04:59 PM.
    tetawa, viper, BSA270 and 1 others like this.

NO4
    @MSL thanks, that may explain why the buck moved this harem of into the thick stuff( I thought they had got wind of me)just after i took the pics a front blew through, blown a gale and pissed down,

The fallow round here are all super touchy at the moment as well with the bucks chasing the shit out of everything.
    Often chasing there harems into the trees and then back out.
    Was interesting the other day watching 3 good bucks with 3 different groups of hinds keeping them all in there little areas, kept the bucks working hard.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    NO4 likes this.

The mobs here in the uk can be super weary. Depending on the amount of pressure you put on them.
    Yes very good eyesight. The old hinds will be onto you before your onto them.
    Compared to reds these guys can be very hard to hunt. More like Sika in the cunning department.
    But like anything if you can figure out what they’re up to and how they use the area that there in you can make a go of it.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

TGS
    Hi All I started a bow hunting group would like to know how many will be interested in this, just follow this link https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....ow-hunting-nz/
    it will take you straight to the group

@ TGS there is an archery thread here https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.nz/f78/

TGS
    thanks mate

Had a strong SW wind here today. The fallow were in a North facing gully with a bit of dappled sunlight in the bush but not far from the bushline.
    Missus got this fella.
    Name:  received_885606809203675.jpeg
Views: 746
Size:  742.3 KB
    For those of you confused. The missus isn't pictured that's our dog .
    outdoorlad, Trout, tetawa and 17 others like this.

Now I'm back at a computer I can only endorse what others have said. I see them more often in the morning, but they can be out all day in cloudy drizzly weather if they are out of the wind. They can also be out in the sun all day in winter.
    They are very sneaky and can be very hard to sneak up on.

NO4
    @Markos nice buck, thanks for the info,will put it into practice saturday morning weather permitted

Banned
    They are grass grazers and so they will come out to graze at night and head back in the morning. If you can place yourself just inside the bush on a travel route they can be ambushed. Very hard to see them in the bush to bush stalk them
    Yesmate likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    Now I'm back at a computer I can only endorse what others have said. I see them more often in the morning, but they can be out all day in cloudy drizzly weather if they are out of the wind. They can also be out in the sun all day in winter.
    They are very sneaky and can be very hard to sneak up on.
    keep a good eye out around midday - unlike reds the little buggers will come out for a feed around then - shot quite a few out for a lunch time snack

I hunt the wee buggers a fair bit , been bush hunting them lately and they are wee cnuts, totally different to other area in the tussock/matagauri , i have found that they dont look up much and seem to be happy hanging out in the dark faces for much of the day which is a bit odd. i also find them(and reds) near patch's of ongaonga , do they eat it or is it more of a coincidence/something something ?
    Micky Duck likes this.
    dyslexics of the world untie

Walking my rifle
    Do they have a large roaming range or stay localized? They stay localized in my experience
    Are they more active first light or late evening? I have see and shot most between 1st light and 12 noon and then again on last light. I don't think they are as particular as reds for when they are out.
    Do they head for the thick stuff when it starts to rain or do they tolerate it? I've shot quite a few in light to moderate rain, don't know what they do in heavy rain.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.