Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree307Likes

Thread: Feral Cats

A photo taken by my hunting mate , I'd run out of 17HMR rounds and the feral cats and I were going at it hand to paw.
    Don't fucking run out of ammo out the back of Cromwell ..... the cats are big and the shit gets real quick.Name:  big-cat.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  98.2 KB

300wsm makes a good mess of the bastards. Shot a few with buck shot as well, finishes them nicely. Only cat I had issues with was sitting in the bough of a tree about 30mtrs away, put 10 rounds of 22 ammo into it before it finally expired all shots went into hilar zone. Can be tough critters. I hate all cats so have no issue shooting them.
    40mm likes this.

Best shot I ever pulled off on any live target was on a cat: Had stopped and popped a pheasant that had showed itself on the way out to a hunting area on private land. Walked over to retreive it and 'sensed', more than saw a big black cat run across the gravel road behind me. Pivoted and fired from the hip intuitively, and two parts of a cat made the far side of the road. Was quite impressed with myself for a while there

OPO
    A mate and his young fella come out possuming out the back of the farm from time to time and pluck the fur for a bit of pocket money. a couple of years ago i saw some kittens on the edge of the bush and of course no rifle so i phoned my mate and announced a $20 bounty on any cat they get - it worked good for a while as the young fella was always nagging at his dad to go possuming and they got half a dozen or so. haven't seen them for a while though - apparently the young guy has discovered girls...
    Micky Duck, 40mm and Jusepy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    A photo taken by my hunting mate , I'd run out of 17HMR rounds and the feral cats and I were going at it hand to paw.
    Don't fucking run out of ammo out the back of Cromwell ..... the cats are big and the shit gets real quick.Attachment 182327

Granny: "Elle got in another fight with the bobcat this morning"
    Jed: "Is she alright?"
    Granny: "Naw poor thing went limping off on three legs"
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I had a cheeky cat run across the road with a quail in its mouth when I was going out for a hunt many years back. I pulled up but he had vanished into the scrub. I waited a while with the truck turn off and a couple of minutes later out he walks still with the quail in his mouth. I was about 30 yards away and i had the 22 250, a shot between his eyes destroyed his day and body never to kill another bird, job done.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Don't fucking run out of ammo out the back of Cromwell ..... the cats are big and the shit gets real quick.Attachment 182327
    It's surprising that you got a photo of the Pisa hills wildcat mate
    viper likes this.
    Ya can't park there mate.

i get a few here, trap them with sardines in a live capture trap. You can tell the ferals, they hiss and spit when you go near the trap
    Moa Hunter and BSA270 like this.

The farm that I hunt on , I have been told by the sister in law to shoot all cats I see.
    Have shot 4 now.
    Felt shit at the first one , then after the 4th I am happily shooting the mongrals !
    Micky Duck and 40mm like this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

Quote Originally Posted by OPO View Post
    A mate and his young fella come out possuming out the back of the farm from time to time and pluck the fur for a bit of pocket money. a couple of years ago i saw some kittens on the edge of the bush and of course no rifle so i phoned my mate and announced a $20 bounty on any cat they get - it worked good for a while as the young fella was always nagging at his dad to go possuming and they got half a dozen or so. haven't seen them for a while though - apparently the young guy has discovered girls...
    Upgraded to dangerous game then!
    Use enough gun

Haha the one liners on here.. so good

I went out into local river to sight in 7.62x39mm saw mummy cat with three kittens and mummy cat had quail in its mouth...she copped first round and the kittens made for log jam,they got the rest of mag.....
    dont like feral cats at all,my old .270 accounted for more than a few over the years.

Barefoot, john m and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedz50 View Post
    As an x gunner thats me , sure beats a frontal lobotomy with a 17 hmr .

Quote Originally Posted by Tedz50 View Post
    LMFAO!!!

"4 week old kitty is perfect bore size"!!!

I wonder just how much tamping a feral kitty needs to attain maximum range???
    Moa Hunter likes this.