Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Finishing an animal off

Second round as everyone else has said for coons, just be aware of your background if your closer so you don't get any ricochet's. One other thing is if you keep needing a second round and your shots are all on point you might need to try some other ammo.

As a starter, don't use Remmington Subs. There for paper at best, personally i wouldn't touch them with a barge pole! Absolute rubbish imo!

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Pop one in its swede
    He,s from the capital he wont no what a swede is & even if he does work it out it,l be even more confusing, leave the swede poping to us josh its what we do ,the frost makes them so much sweeter

Name:  IMG_20170127_192708.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  190.4 KB Shot gun to the head, it only costs $1 put the poor bugger out of its misery as quickly as possible
    When hunting think safety first

It's not so stupid as you first think, I stuffed my first whitetail trophy for the taxidermist by cutting the deer's throat didn't I
    Dougie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    It's not so stupid as you first think, I stuffed my first whitetail trophy for the taxidermist by cutting the deer's throat didn't I
    Would have looked worse if it looked like that rabbit with a finisher to the head?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Gone but not forgotten
    I finished off a wounded Parrie hiding in the rushes by holding the muzzle of the 12G about 5cm from its head. It worked, but had a nice white welt from the trigger guard across my finger too.
    A 2nd shot to the head is the best option. I tried an air pistol for finishing off possums but it was a waste of time. If I have to euthanise a larger animal (e.g a cow) I always cut the throat when they drop - I don't want them getting up again.
    Dougie and nzbushbunny like this.

If you have to ask a question like this maybe you shouldn't be shooting game. More time on a range might be worth while until your a better shot. If you cant kill it humanly don't shoot it.
    nzbushbunny likes this.

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    Be sure you are aiming at vital areas to begin with
    Be precise with aiming ; and practice

Possums draw a cross between left ear and right eye and vv (ie Brain not just the head)- it's handy that they are often looking straight at you
    Shot many thousands with a 22 and very few needed a second

12g solves most things out ...
    Had to pull the wad out of one was so close ...

Quote Originally Posted by nelpop View Post
    If you have to ask a question like this maybe you shouldn't be shooting game. More time on a range might be worth while until your a better shot. If you cant kill it humanly don't shoot it.
    When My Dad taught me to Hunt he said "If you don't head shoot it you don't deserve to carry a rifle", Needless to say we learnt or we didn't Hunt.

No need to make the guy feel shit about it. None of us are perfect and he's wanting to do the right thing by a quick, painless method.

If I were a deer and a fella had a 2MOA accuracy, I'd rather he aim at my big bit than shoot my jaw off.

Beautiful big horse you lads got there by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pointer, Gruff, 260hunter and 8 others like this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

When Shooting at <5m you shot goes way low. Check the height of your scope above Barell and use that as a start.

For a club you need something about 3-4 cm dia (not axe handle which cuts in) about 40cm long and heavy as possible (not a broomstick) Manuka is ideal or else a heavy hickory tool handle.

Wounding does happen every now and then, it's part of hunting.
    Your duty as a hunter is to finish the animal as quickly and humanly as possible.
    Another shot in the back of the head or through the heart / lung area does the job and with a .22 costs a few cents.

A finisher shot up close isn't a1ways ideal. You need to very careful of your firing zone. It can be Chaotic. Gravel farm equipment tree trunks branches dogs feet ...

Rabbits twitch and kick when picked up by their back legs even if dead but are often immobile and can be finished off where they lie wih a shot or else firm pressure on the head to fracture the skull.

Possums can be safely picked up by the tail. As long as you HOLD THEM SO THEY CAN PUT FRONT FEET ON THE GROUND. Then you can use the club or else a shot if safe.

i shoot rabbits etc for a living and some time's things go wrong i.e wind, animal's move, i'm human and knowing how to finish an animal quickly is an important part of hunting and i hope this thread help's people
    Gruff, 260hunter, viper and 3 others like this.

for rabbits hold by back legs swing them and hit there head on rock was what i did when i was a young kid, that breaking the neck idea sounds much cleaner, remember the days before they released that virus or whatever more rabbits than a person could shoot in some spots,