Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Firearm storage near National park village

Firearm storage near National park village

I am interested in combining a trip to whakapapa ski field with a hunting trip in the same area

What are the chances someone on here has or knows someone that has storage for a firearm in or around national park village

Would be looking to hunt on days when weather isn’t so flash on the mountain and need storage for days when skiing
    Cheers
    Mike

Police station?
    Dublin, bigbear and Echo2012 like this.

Banned
    since you will have a secure storage system in your vehicle to comply with the new rules - leave the rifle there. Its compliant , after all.....

Good luck with that. Especially if your or the other guys guns are registered.

I’ve pointed this scenario out several times to various people and they all looked at me like I’m mad.
    Best I can think of is to hide the gun in your car and take the bolt skiing with you.

A mate I stay with sometimes when I’m away hunting isn’t a fal holder and has little kids in his house, so there’s no way my guns coming inside, Yet according to the law I can’t leave the gun in my Ute overnight either.
    What I do there is take the bolt and ammo inside in my bag but leave rifle out of sight in locked Ute, and put Ute inside his yard.
    Mistral and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddoghunter View Post
    I’ve pointed this scenario out several times to various people and they all looked at me like I’m mad.
    Errr, maybe its something to do with your Pseudonym, @Maddoghunter

Quote Originally Posted by winchesterM69A View Post
    since you will have a secure storage system in your vehicle to comply with the new rules - leave the rifle there. Its compliant , after all.....
    You can only leave the car unattended for up to an hour I believe.

Can you, @winchesterM69A, indicate where in the legislation that a firearm is allowed to be left unattended in a vehicle for a long length of time?

My understanding that the time limit is one hour unless the vehicle has the equivalent of an appropriate gun safe.

Banned
    Not me man. If you want to get all legislationed up - be my guest

Not me man. If you want to get all legislationed up - be my guest
    So @winchesterM69A on what did you base your comment?
    I'm actually interested where your comment came from as it is typical of misinformation around what is legal &/or acceptable.

Was it your understanding of the law & regulations or something someone else had said or written?

Banned
    Let me put this in context - if it were I , The suggestion I made would probably be my preferred option , if there was no other reasonable option open. I dont ski so its not a position I would find myself in , but taking reasonable and practical steps to secure said firearm in my vehicle , in a manner approved by the current legislation would have to be better than shoving in the wardrobe in a motel unit- would it not???

I don't know that the police station would be any good. (worth a call to the local arms officer)
    One of my mates got pulled up by a Waiouru based cop coming out of the southern access in the last 12 mths or so. Issue was 2 things, guys have been driving up the track to get vehicles out of sight of the road and someone had been taking a quad up the southern access and heading south into the defence land, they even had a helicopter up looking for him.
    Mate was on a motor bike and complained about the risk of leaving it in the roadside car park. (No give, it's DOC land and no motorised access you risk getting a warning letter)
    Cop offered his personal details and suggested mate could leave his bike at his place in waiouru and he could help get him dropped off and picked up.
    Z
    Growlybear, Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

There must be plenty of North Island hunters that drive to South Island to hunt, and vice versa. They most likely stay in a motel at some stage and probably treat themselves to a nice dinner out at some stage. What do they do? They can’t leave rifles in motel, and can’t leave them in car.
    Finnwolf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    I don't know that the police station would be any good. (worth a call to the local arms officer)
    One of my mates got pulled up by a Waiouru based cop coming out of the southern access in the last 12 mths or so. Issue was 2 things, guys have been driving up the track to get vehicles out of sight of the road and someone had been taking a quad up the southern access and heading south into the defence land, they even had a helicopter up looking for him.
    Mate was on a motor bike and complained about the risk of leaving it in the roadside car park. (No give, it's DOC land and no motorised access you risk getting a warning letter)
    Cop offered his personal details and suggested mate could leave his bike at his place in waiouru and he could help get him dropped off and picked up.
    Z
    DoC have not made things easy there, and most certainly have not made the outdoor experience any easier for us. First they actively work against the public's access to the Kaimanawas by promoting Crown land be handed over to Trusts, thereby removing 50% of the Public access points to the Kaimanawas, then they get arsey if you don't want your car broken into in the middle of nowhere, by threatening you if you attempt to hide your car from perps up there......And now they appear ready to launch helo gunships to manage the overpopulation of Deer in the South Western Kaimanawas (if they still have access to the budget to do that sort of stuff)...'cause they have made it oh so hard for hunters to gain access to the Public Estate FFS!!!

Oh..., and no motorised access, UNLESS you are DoC and can drive diggers, bikes, 4 wheelers into all sorts of places as they are working...
    tetawa, Ross Nolan and Fatberg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    DoC have not made things easy there, and most certainly have not made the outdoor experience any easier for us. First they actively work against the public's access to the Kaimanawas by promoting Crown land be handed over to Trusts, thereby removing 50% of the Public access points to the Kaimanawas, then they get arsey if you don't want your car broken into in the middle of nowhere, by threatening you if you attempt to hide your car from perps up there......And now they appear ready to launch helo gunships to manage the overpopulation of Deer in the South Western Kaimanawas (if they still have access to the budget to do that sort of stuff)...'cause they have made it oh so hard for hunters to gain access to the Public Estate FFS!!!

Oh..., and no motorised access, UNLESS you are DoC and can drive diggers, bikes, 4 wheelers into all sorts of places as they are working...
    Rules for thee..... but not for me, it seems. Unless you are in a special category.
    Fatberg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddoghunter View Post
    There must be plenty of North Island hunters that drive to South Island to hunt, and vice versa. They most likely stay in a motel at some stage and probably treat themselves to a nice dinner out at some stage. What do they do? They can’t leave rifles in motel, and can’t leave them in car.
    They dont broacast what they are doing on the internet...