Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: first canterbury hunt

first canterbury hunt

Having spent most of my hunting career on Stewart Island getting the opportunity to have a look at some Canterbury high country sounded great, so when @akaroa1 and @Matt2308 were going out to make the most of the last of the fishing season I thought it would be great to tag along.

After a nice and early start we meet up in Hanmer at 7 and I met two of these odd buggers that you met on the forum. After a quick met and greet and handshakes we trucked into some prime DOC high country. Somewhere in the organising I got the idea we would be 4wding all the way to the hut, so with a bit of gear sorting and rearranging we were off. A leisurely 4 hour stroll along a beautiful river valley, stopping now and again to look into some deep pools of pristine clear water at salmon and big browns got us to a great spot for a cuppa. I wandered on up to the hut where we were to be based for the next two nights while Matt and David had a quick fish in the late afternoon sun.

Once the successful fishermen arrived back at the hut with a nice little rainbow for supper and another cuppa we paid out a plan. David had been in earlier in the summer and had done a bit of a rekky, so with the afternoon wearing on David went back to the lake for a fish and Matt and I went to glass possible areas for a hunt the next day. Three animals were seen but without the aid of a spotting scope which was still in the truck it was hard to judge the merits of them, except that one had a bit of bone on his head.

A plan was hatched and day break had us checking they were still there. Back to the hut for lunch and a sort of day bags saw Matt and I heading off up the hill. After a bit a shrub bashing we popped out onto the tussock and made our way up the scree to the vantage point we had picked out the previous evening. Having spent all my hunting on the island Canterbury high country was a whole new world for both me and the dog. As the sun went down and the magic hour approached an animal appeared out of the beech, he was a small 10 pointer, we decided he wasn't the one we had seen last night, and so we watched and waited. A blue boar popped out followed by a sow and a few minutes later a third pig. Sadly they never stopped so no chance of a shot. Whilst I was distracted by the pigs, Matt whispered there he is, a beut of an 8 pointer, a hind and yearling had appeared from nowhere on the feed face we had set up on. After much discussion, dithering and huge restraint we opted take the yearling for venison, a nicely placed shot from Matt saw no damage to the meat. A quick butcher and walk back to the hut made it a great day finished off with a wee dram Matt had thoughtfully provided. It’s always a great day when you make a plan and pull it off.
    Matt and David were up early for another look but I opted for a sleep in. After a clean of the hut we trundled back down to the lake for a fish on the way out to the truck. I arrived back at the truck not too soon with a load of venison wearing a hole in my shoulders and got the beers on ice. David and Matt arrived shortly after with David grinning about the trout he caught on the way home.

A great introductory trip to Canterbury cheers guys, was amazing to see two great stags and decide to leave them for another few years when they will make trophies of a lifetime instead of taking them before their prime. Always a risky option on public land but very satisfactory knowing that they will be bigger and better next year. Same time same place next year boys!

Was such an amazing bit of country, once the missus saw the photos we have lined up a sedate tramping trip in, great you can take dogs into some of NZs best country still.Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  395.9 KBName:  Untitled2.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  185.2 KBName:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  293.2 KBName:  8.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  649.7 KBName:  7.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  381.9 KBName:  6.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  389.0 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  514.2 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  607.6 KBName:  3.jpg
Size:  541.4 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  401.2 KBName:  1.jpg
Size:  752.7 KB
    Last edited by 223nut; 30-04-2016 at 04:54 PM. Reason: no pics
    jakewire, Wildman, Tahr and 21 others like this.

bugger, pics didnt end up where they should of

looks like a great trip, bit different to Stewart Island.

Excellent.. great wee trip and some nice animals.

MSL
    I like the where's wally style pictures where you need to scan for the beasts
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

good stuff mate, you will be away now!

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    I like the where's wally style pictures where you need to scan for the beasts
    I did crop them, then posted and they went back to original... Guess it makes it a bit more interesting

MSL
    I wasn't taking the mickey

Its all good, I just got annoyed when it didnt come out as I had planned... Grrr technology
    Beaker likes this.

Good trip. Nice little dog. How did she/he go with the new Red deer smell?

awesome report !

Great stuff guys.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Good trip. Nice little dog. How did she/he go with the new Red deer smell?
    Jazz didnt seem to notice any difference, liked the titbits she got as usual. She was winding something else while we were butchering it, could have been a pig, have to work on getting her off possums though

Nice looking 8

Maybe put a space line between photos when attaching.
    Like the 7th photo down showing a bit of the environment it is grazing in

Very