Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: first hunt and hunting etiquette

unless it says on the permit when you apply for it that you have to notify the farmer then he can suck the big one
    #BallisticFists

Wallaby's (darma I think) have been around Rotorua lakes a long time. They must have reached saturation point as they are spreading. Had a flier through the letterbox saying if you see one contact DOC. Had a good chat with Maurice Wilkie D.O.C permit guy for Rotorua and he told me where they have now reached. He also told me where to look for my first deer when I get a gun. Hunter himself and top bloke. Permit is small game permit and states use of 22. There is a box for permitted species and wallabies is in. I am restricted where I can go but it is not a small area. unique to this area (a few places have them) and the critters are only about 60cm tall. think that's why a .22 is ok Talking to another guy he said they would like to sprinkle 1080 around the lakes but the local iwi are against it. Thanks for the info.

Well, there you go... you learn something new every day. First time I've heard of DOC issuing such a permit, but seems sensible enough.

I'd heard the Wobblies have really spread out. I hunted them when I lived there in the late '80's and they were pretty much confined to the north western side of Okataina, but on a recent trip to Murapara I heard they'd been seen down that way. Sad if true.

Keep on the good side of the farmer even if he is a tosser. If you ring him regularly he may even offer you his land to hunt on after he gets to know you better.