Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: First Solo Hunt Coming Up

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Yesmate View Post
    When hunting have a round chambered and be ready to snap shoot,you’ll almost need to every time as a beginner as you’ll be spooking them 9/10 times.however as a beginner this advice is also dangerous so only do this if your brain is clear and your not pumped up!
    You trying to get someone killed?
    kiwijames and HOO like this.

Bush hunting. Yup. Round chambered, safety on.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Something killed?yep.
    DavidGunn likes this.

No more so than those seeking deer on the walking tracks....scary bastards.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Yesmate View Post
    Something killed?yep.
    Beginner, amped, round in, finger in trigger well -something in front of him moves in cover, bang.......... oh wait, what was that?
    HOO likes this.

Beginner, amped, round in, finger in trigger well -something in front of him moves in cover, bang.......... oh wait, what was that?
    And then there is Dummer...he was no beginner.

Who said finger in the trigger well?
    Point your firearm in a safe direction.
    Identify your target.

The reality of bush hunting is that at any moment you can see a deer. They are usually that close that if you had to load your rifle they would be gone.
    Do you do much bush hunting? How do you do it?
    Last edited by Chur Bay; 30-10-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Yea I don’t recommend shooting into cover at movement but who does?The guy wants to bag a deer and if he’s bush stalking his best chance of getting one and learning a whole lot to boot is, he’s gonna want his gun ready to shoot ASAP and that means one chambered,if he’s comfortable hunting that way.

Don't spook and shoot. The risk of shooting someone else or wounding the deer is not worth the chance you may lead it correctly and get it.

Identify your target.

Nothing wrong with a chambered round and safety on. It is better than half cock or at least no difference.

You'll be surprised how effective your hunt can be if you have a stop. Look, listen, smell and look for horizontal lines and movement.

Deer can be noisy if they feel safe.
    Louie likes this.

Off course there is no need for the firearm to be "armed & dangerous" until well clear of the "beaten path", cos having read your DoC permit (of course you have one" you would have seen that you must not discharge your firearm in the vicinity of the track (along with other places)...not that I have ever seen "vicinity" defined...if it was a Great Walks Track (which it isn't) it is clearly defined as 500 metres...all typed with TFIC
    Louie likes this.

Tell someone where you are going and when you will be out.
    call them when you get out/have coverage.

Take it easy,dont get all wound up about getting a Deer,enjoy yourself and your surroundings.Every hunt is a new one and every hunt will teach you a little bit more .Stop and have a look in the Creek,at the Tree,at the Birds half the magic is just being out there and doing it.

It took me ages to get my first Deer by myself but the first one is by far the hardest one to get.
    WillB, Daithi, Russian 22. and 1 others like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    Tell someone where you are going and when you will be out.
    call them when you get out/have coverage.

Take it easy,dont get all wound up about getting a Deer,enjoy yourself and your surroundings.Every hunt is a new one and every hunt will teach you a little bit more .Stop and have a look in the Creek,at the Tree,at the Birds half the magic is just being out there and doing it.

It took me ages to get my first Deer by myself but the first one is by far the hardest one to get.
    some places ive been to there are no birds,,you n i know who made them disappear,,same wankers that killed them snails

Cheers for all the advice fellas, there's a lot of great info here.

To sum it all up, i'm going to take @Russian 22.s advice and head up Wairere Falls way. With a compass, map and notebook as my main navigation tools. I think i'll point out this is all a learning adventure for me and i'd rather see a few deer running away than be ready to shoot in an instant. Although I'll have one in the chamber at half cock (safety on) walking as slowly, quietly and aware as I can be.

(i'll also have a phone, powerbank, headlamp and PLB for emergencies)

I looked into PLBs and was put off at the price of the buggers, but found they're readily available for rent at $15 a day almost nationwide; which is music to my skint ears.

Thanks for the help team.
    Nick-D likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    Cheers for all the advice fellas, there's a lot of great info here.

To sum it all up, i'm going to take @Russian 22.s advice and head up Wairere Falls way. With a compass, map and notebook as my main navigation tools. I think i'll point out this is all a learning adventure for me and i'd rather see a few deer running away than be ready to shoot in an instant. Although I'll have one in the chamber at half cock (safety on) walking as slowly, quietly and aware as I can be.

(i'll also have a phone, powerbank, headlamp and PLB for emergencies)

I looked into PLBs and was put off at the price of the buggers, but found they're readily available for rent at $15 a day almost nationwide; which is music to my skint ears.

Thanks for the help team.
    Save up for a Plb. Very cheap when you think about it. 30 bucks for ten years and will save your life.
    Louie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Save up for a Plb. Very cheap when you think about it. 30 bucks for ten years and will save your life.
    I hear that. Between the guns, guitars, woodshop and ol' 94 Hilux; the cash seems to disappear. Just waiting for a rich cougar to come my way!
    Sako851 likes this.