Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: first time using center fire

12g is very effective when close on cattle.
    Just have to stand firm.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    Snap 4T likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WaikatoBushman View Post
    The practice with a .22 will translate to some degree but its generally better to practice with a centerfire if your aiming to shoot centerfire. What's your aim for this firearm? Im wondering if it could make sense for you to pick up a 243 as a stepping stone in the centerfire learning curve, minimal recoil, minimal noise suppressed and enough punch for majority of animals NZ holds
    yeah agree with the bushman -the last thing you need is to start flinching from noise - if its just the noise that's bothering you then when target shooting I use a set of good sonic ear plugs and combine that with a set of grade 5 ear muffs - dont hear much with that combo- get as comfortable as possible - neighbours well look after them - a courtesy call before target session always and reasure them you have safe range with decent backstop
    Snap 4T likes this.

Thank you folks for all the good advice
    I'm not in danger or planning to shoot any livestock, anytime soon
    Just doing my homework before pulling the trigger,
    look like this idea going back to the drawing board.

Maybe will pick up .223 or .243 as someone suggested and practice with it
    If only, I could jam another rifle in my gun safe.
    300CALMAN and WaikatoBushman like this.

To be honest, the .243 is not (in my opinion anyway) going to help in any way here. Similar muzzle bark, slightly less recoil but completely different trajectory and it's another firearm to feed. Plenty of soldiers learnt to shoot going from nothing to .308, so it can be done. It's just a case of researching the techniques and if you can get to a range with someone that's experienced with hunting situational shooting that can coach you a little.

The point about the Peltor noise cancelling is that different to industrial PPE, they only shut off noise past a set threshold so for industrial purposes actually don't comply with H&S requirements. What the point of the exercise is, is to get away from the noise effects of the muzzle gas jetting (it's similar to a high pressure compressed air release and a similar level of potential damage). The suppressor tames the worst of the gas jet expansion noise by reducing the velocity of the gasses leaving the muzzle, but doesn't remove the supersonic crack from the projectile or the gas pressure wave which is the equivalent of the compressed air release.

In your position, you're doing the right things by thinking through and asking the questions but one of the issues with the internet is wading through the multitude of replies which are all correct in their way to find what suits your situation and objectives. My vote such as it is, is to stick with the .308 and make it work for you. Money saved makes for more ammo for practice, and once you've got confidence with that you won't look back. Noise from the gunshot is one major factor, suppressors help and cap it with whatever hearing protection you have on hand that suits and is convenient. If recoil force is still an issue, you can upgrade the recoil pad to a limbsaver or a pachmeyer version or add some weight into the stock which slows down the rearward boot...
    Snap 4T likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snap 4T View Post
    Thank you for the advice,

Thank you for the info, time to visit that friendly fellow at GC I guess.
    right,so now we see the problem....yo uare asking a SALEPERSON working on possibly a commission....what is best for you..... fox in henhouse really.
    they will be MORE THAN HAPPY to upgrade whatever you have,at a price.....
    dont muck around with a rouge bull.get someone in to do the job who knows what they are doing,better still ask one of big bore guys to come and do it for you..that rigby etc that was bought for African safari will enjoy the exercise and be vasty better for the job...at very least bring that fella along to back you up after you cockup the job..he at least can drop bull before it destroys or kills something.
    rugerman, Mooseman, Pete_D and 1 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

My advice is, You need to find an experienced shooter to come look at your set up and go over things with you.

Your subsonic loads- you will not get anything quieter and if they are noisy then something is wrong with your setup. All subsonic will produce a similar level of noise and energy is dependant on bullet weight, so changing cartridge case will not effect results.
    Snap 4T likes this.

is there a factory bullet (0.308W subsonic) that is not as noisy but powerful enough to take down a rogue bull at 150 yards (if necessary)?

or I better off get a 300blackout setup with subsonic

Thank you for the info and advice
    150 yards - plenty of time to retreat

Rogue Bull - shit, you can never have to much gun here, they are big, hard headed and when angry take a lot of stopping. Should be sent to the freezing works long before this stage, first sign of stroppiness and off they go.

Yeah sure - a .22LR was used on the farm to down a cattle beast in the yards - but two different scenarios.

An enraged bull coming at you, will certainly focus the mind and stuff your aim.
    Snap 4T likes this.

MB
    Hello Snap 4T, I recognise your username from the fishing forum. I think you may have got the message about 300BLK, subsonic ammo and bulls! Just for interest, since 300BLK rounds utilise the same projectiles as .308, all other things being equal, they are identical in performance at subsonic speeds. At supersonic speeds, .308 is far superior to 300BLK in terms of energy delivery.
    Micky Duck and Snap 4T like this.

MB you forgot the last line
    at subsonic speeds they both SUCK BIG TIME if your aim is off by even half an inch.....
    Snap 4T likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    MB you forgot the last line
    at subsonic speeds they both SUCK BIG TIME if your aim is off by even half an inch.....
    There is that too!
    Micky Duck likes this.

my advice squire for what its worth would be to hook up with some of the experienced guys on here. you can practise etc under their watchful eyes and youll get a ton of bloody good advice ,if not a few outings to help you gain experience for the task.youll also probably find given a lot are of that rare species "good bastards",youll be joining a group of them,and providing you dont abuse hospitality or display a complete absence of commonsense,the world of hunting could well become your oyster too
    .Thats how i learnt my goose shooting and 16yrs later still shoot with the same crowd .Ive just had a very enjoyable weekend away with a well known forum member who pm'd an invitation out of the goodness of his heart.Itook 3rifles i wanted to try and again had a marvellous session shooting and indeed exactly what can upset the accuracy .I also managed to tag my first possum in around 30yrs ,beleive it or not with a rifle donated to me by another forum member. try it -once youre hooke d youll never go back!!
    Micky Duck and Snap 4T like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Hello Snap 4T, I recognise your username from the fishing forum. I think you may have got the message about 300BLK, subsonic ammo and bulls! Just for interest, since 300BLK rounds utilise the same projectiles as .308, all other things being equal, they are identical in performance at subsonic speeds. At supersonic speeds, .308 is far superior to 300BLK in terms of energy delivery.

Hi &, yeah that's me.
    Hows live in Northland.

Just picked up my 1st centre fire and asking some dumb questions here
    nothing interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    my advice squire for what its worth would be to hook up with some of the experienced guys on here. you can practise etc under their watchful eyes and youll get a ton of bloody good advice ,if not a few outings to help you gain experience for the task.youll also probably find given a lot are of that rare species "good bastards",youll be joining a group of them,and providing you dont abuse hospitality or display a complete absence of commonsense,the world of hunting could well become your oyster too
    .Thats how i learnt my goose shooting and 16yrs later still shoot with the same crowd .Ive just had a very enjoyable weekend away with a well known forum member who pm'd an invitation out of the goodness of his heart.Itook 3rifles i wanted to try and again had a marvellous session shooting and indeed exactly what can upset the accuracy .I also managed to tag my first possum in around 30yrs ,beleive it or not with a rifle donated to me by another forum member. try it -once youre hooke d youll never go back!!

That is very sound advice,
    I was thinking to join AKL gun club last year but work commitment never allowed it.
    Ended up learning from Youtube & internet and put it into practice when I have free time.
    Unfortunately, I can't get away from a work commitment for now,
    maybe later on when the time is right.

Yes, there are rare good species out there
    I know MB above from my kayak day, good bugger that guy.
    MB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doghead View Post
    150 yards - plenty of time to retreat

Rogue Bull - shit, you can never have to much gun here, they are big, hard headed and when angry take a lot of stopping. Should be sent to the freezing works long before this stage, first sign of stroppiness and off they go.

Yeah sure - a .22LR was used on the farm to down a cattle beast in the yards - but two different scenarios.

An enraged bull coming at you, will certainly focus the mind and stuff your aim.

Yeah, from all the advice I got here, bull calf is not an option now,
    will stick with a heifer or steer at the most.

MB
    Hi &, yeah that's me.
    Hows live in Northland.
    Life goes on. Hunting and fishing when parenting, working and weather allow. I'm long retired from kayak fishing, jetski for 7 years; picked up first boat in May 2022 and loving it, although it's been a terrible summer for us, I'm guessing similar in Auckland.

Just picked up my 1st centre fire and asking some dumb questions here
    nothing interesting...
    I was in the same boat 5 years ago, we all were at some point, so ask away.
    Last edited by MB; 07-02-2023 at 04:25 PM.
    Snap 4T likes this.