Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kiwihunter
  • 2 Post By hunterAT

Thread: Overseas hunting licence

Overseas hunting licence

A quick question for those that have hunted Europe. How do you go about getting the right documents?
    NZ has the firearms licence not a hunting licence so is the NZ licence valid as a hunting licence or not?
    NZ hunting courses with proper paperwork?

I know it works both ways with Europeans wanting to bring a rifle to NZ not having a firearms licence. They need the European firearms passport.

Anyway just wanting to know if anyone's done it before

Cheers
    WaikatoBushman likes this.

Depends which country.
    For France, you get a foreign permit , or permis de chasse étranger. It is valid for 9 days of hunting.
    For the UK , usually the guide or owner of the land applies for a visitors licence for the duration of your trip, and so you can bring in your firearm and a limited amount of ammo so you can hunt on their land.
    I do not know for the rest of EU.

Long time ago 1990 so probably no help but got a hunting licence in Denmark by showing my NZ firearms licence when applying for one. My friend over there organized it

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwihunter View Post
    A quick question for those that have hunted Europe. How do you go about getting the right documents?
    NZ has the firearms licence not a hunting licence so is the NZ licence valid as a hunting licence or not?
    NZ hunting courses with proper paperwork?

I know it works both ways with Europeans wanting to bring a rifle to NZ not having a firearms licence. They need the European firearms passport.

Anyway just wanting to know if anyone's done it before

Cheers
    I have not hunted Europe but have hunted in several overseas countries. A a non- citizen of those countries I was legally obliged to hunt with licensed outfitters. Europe may be similar...?? I've heard in some European countries that foreign hunters can arrange hunting through local hunting clubs that control hunter numbers in their particular grounds. Should you need to book via outfitters or local hunting clubs they should be set up to obtain licenses on your behalf and making contact with them is probably the way to go.

Yeah I've just been to Hungry hunting with some Swiss colleagues and filled the freezer (which I'll do a write up soon) and they asked if I had a hunting licence so that next time I can go actually hunting and not just as a tag along. I could do a course in Switzerland (where I'm living at the moment) but it costs lots and is not really what I'm looking for. With the NZ firearms licence they weren't to sure if it would work. I see the NZDA do courses but as an old hunter it seems to much paperwork lol but I suppose I could do it if I get the time if it's valid.

You might get away with a valid nz firearm licence and a 4months doc permit that you can get online and emailed to you.

You can only try.

Yes when ive needed proof Im able to hunt over seas, Ive presented a DOC hunting permit, firearms licence, and A letter of explanation from the local police explaining that my firearms licence and the doc permit allow me to hunt public land in NZ.
    Swiss hunting will always generally be harder to get into. they are very regulation bound. Ive never hunted there, But Have done in germany and Sweden where the hunters themselves were fairly practical and interpreted their laws as I could hunt with another hunter supervising me and I borrowed their rifle.
    There was also a bit of, " What happens on the hunt, stays on the hunt."
    In general when Ive gone to apply for a hunting permit, the local authority in the area Ive hunted has just said, hes only here for a couple of days, its to much hassle, just take him hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwihunter View Post
    Yeah I've just been to Hungry hunting with some Swiss colleagues and filled the freezer (which I'll do a write up soon) and they asked if I had a hunting licence so that next time I can go actually hunting and not just as a tag along. I could do a course in Switzerland (where I'm living at the moment) but it costs lots and is not really what I'm looking for. With the NZ firearms licence they weren't to sure if it would work. I see the NZDA do courses but as an old hunter it seems to much paperwork lol but I suppose I could do it if I get the time if it's valid.
    As said before, there are huge differences in Europe - every country has its own rules (Switzerland being one of the those that make it extremely hard for non-residents, while Hungary is pretty easy-going).

I hunt in Hungary several times per year, plus I am organizing countless hunts for clients in Hungary. I have not had overseas clients hunting in Hungary, but that should not make any difference.

To apply for the Hungarian hunting license, you are generally required to present copies of:
    - your passport or ID
    - firearms license of your home country
    - hunting license of your home country

So, as suggested, a DOC permit plus your NZ firearms license should be perfectly OK. I'd recommand to check with local hunters or agencies (depending on how you book your hunts in Hungary). If you need any help, just let me know.
    rugerman and 257weatherby like this.

Cheers guys I never thought about the doc permit. Yeah tell me about the Swiss rules lol you almost need a license to fart in public lol. I've just been to Hungry hunting and my mate asked me about the nz hunting licence (he's Swiss) and I told him that kiwi's are born hunters it's on their birth certificate :-)
    I've been for walks in Switzerland as well but Hungary is cheaper, flatter!! and guaranteed to fill the freezer.