Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Semi Auto 22 WMR vs Bolt action 223 for goats

Is spinning yarns

Semi Auto 22 WMR vs Bolt action 223 for goats

How's it guys

Il be looking at getting a tool specifically for goats in the very near future, these seem to be the two options for cost effective culling. Ive done some reading on the topic here on the forums but the threads were older, from the days of "the black gun" The question im asking is, does the fact the WMR is a semi and the cheaper cost of ammo make up for what it lacks in power in comparison to the 223?

What route would you go given the option? Let me know!
    Buy Once, Cry Once

Caretaker

Load your own ammo

Purchase an inexpensive rifle as culling is hard on gear

Be vigilant to maintain a profit or it will end up costing you to provide the service

Enjoy yourself

Be safe
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Firepower is fine but ACCURACY is FINAL say no more

A lot will depend on the range, over 100 mtrs then the 223, if 60 to 80 a well placed shot with a 22 mag will do the job.
    They are a tough animal and wounding is unacceptable , it will not only come down to cost but your realistic abilities as a shooter.

I'm not a professional culler, but I sure have shot a lot of goats.
    If I was setting up a specific goat rifle for a mix of farm land and bush I'd set up a .223 Howa mini with a suppressed 16" barrel with a few 10 shot mags. Scoped with a 1.5-5 or 2-7 scope.
    If it was just bush and over dogs it'd be subsonic 44mag lever action with a red dot or tang sight (depends what you prefer).

Quote Originally Posted by WaikatoBushman View Post
    How's it guys

Il be looking at getting a tool specifically for goats in the very near future, these seem to be the two options for cost effective culling. Ive done some reading on the topic here on the forums but the threads were older, from the days of "the black gun" The question im asking is, does the fact the WMR is a semi and the cheaper cost of ammo make up for what it lacks in power in comparison to the 223?

What route would you go given the option? Let me know!
    I was in goat control operations for nearly 40 years -have shot well lost count never counted - possibly 3-4 thousand - not once have I ever seen or known of any professional using a ,22WMR always the good old .222 or .223 does that awnser your question

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    They are a tough animal and wounding is unacceptable , it will not only come down to cost but your realistic abilities as a shooter.
    I shot a big old billy goat in the back of the head once (223) from < 100m. Dropped like a sack of spuds, wahoo thought I. Started walking over to it, as I got near the old bastard jumped up and took off. Fark! A zombie goat! I managed to get the bastard with a 2nd shot, found I'd hit the base of the horn, it'd simply cracked the horn and knocked him out for a couple of minutes. Tough is an understatement.
    Moa Hunter and WaikatoBushman like this.

Agree 100%. 223. Much better range, flatter trajectory, much less wind affected, much more stopping power, and alot more humane for the animal.

Can't think of any reason to go 22 WMR - and semi or bolt is not relevant. Semi might help you get another shot away quicker with a wounded animal, but with something like Howa min 223, you shouldn't need a second.

Hard to argue with Barry.
    I would have said that for Bush shooting a 22wmr would acceptable ie less than 50mtr less than 30 mostly.
    But to ethically kill multiple goats at 100mtr then I say no. You need to know that every goat you hit is going to die and you don't have time to follow each one up to check it's well hit if you are taking out a mob.
    Hence I would be going >222 power so that you can just shoot you way though the mob then come back and finish off any that need it
    Z
    WaikatoBushman likes this.

Is spinning yarns
    Cheers for all the input gentlemen, I was initially leaning in the direction of the 223 but a mates opinion had me thinking otherwise

* Just a disclaimer, I'm certainly no professional goat culler, Ive been shooting goats free of charge on a private property around Port Waikato for an older mate who recently got his property boundary fenced and have been using my deer rifle to do so which is getting expensive, I'm in no way obligated to finish the task but am not one to leave a job half arsed
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and ZQLewis like this.
    Buy Once, Cry Once

Years back shot a few on the Huntly side of those hills.
    A group from the indoor 22club would go in once a month shooting posium's 200-400 night was typical.
    Goats were also fair game but not deer.
    Z
    WaikatoBushman likes this.

Cheers for all the input gentlemen, I was initially leaning in the direction of the 223 but a mates opinion had me thinking otherwise

* Just a disclaimer, I'm certainly no professional goat culler, Ive been shooting goats free of charge on a private property around Port Waikato for an older mate who recently got his property boundary fenced and have been using my deer rifle to do so which is getting expensive, I'm in no way obligated to finish the task but am not one to leave a job half arsed
    Depending on range 7.62x39 could be an option too...WMR would not be my choice on goats - and if you need rapid follow up shots then lever action like a BLR could be the go too. (dearer though)

How many are you expecting to shoot? Ammo is the smallest cost usually. Sure 308 etc might be $3 per round and 223 closer to half that, but to justify $1000 on a rifle is about 600 rounds before you save money....(600 rounds of 308 @$3 would be $1800 and 600 of 223 at $1.50 is 900. You would be spending $1000 to save $900 and the rifle you have is probably better than the 223 too....

Not saying you shouldn't- just saying its not always a simple answer.

Its like spending $12,000 to buy a second hand electric car for a $30km to 60km daily commute when you have a small cheap $3000 hatchback that costs 2 to 4 litres a day to do the same.... (saves you $5 to $10 per day x 4 per week = $20-$40 per week) The extra $9000 will take you nearly 5 years to get your investment back by which time your insurance will have gone up on the dearer car and the battery will be worse.... I use this example as I have recently done just that- looked at electric for what it would be ideal for and figured it still is not worth the money...
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

as Timattalon says 7.62x39 is an option - but if ya really want a goat round then the .22x250 is it - devastating- we tried to get ammo for it issued but no luck - rather hard on ears though -when I ran goat control and had a budget thought about it but not many others interested because of noise factor - but man does it pole axe goats

100% agree with Barry , .22wmr is a waste of time. It’s easy to get the first one with a well placed head shot but hopeless once they start running. I’ve culled plenty in both islands whilst farming and went from the .222 to .223 then finally the 22-250. The extra speed from the 22-250 makes such a difference. A Big Billy has so much neck/shoulder mass and can take a lot of poorly placed lead before dieing inhumanely. Used to retrieve plenty for dog tucker and float them down to the ute while working up the Clarence for a couple of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by 300Shortmag View Post
    100% agree with Barry , .22wmr is a waste of time. It’s easy to get the first one with a well placed head shot but hopeless once they start running. I’ve culled plenty in both islands whilst farming and went from the .222 to .223 then finally the 22-250. The extra speed from the 22-250 makes such a difference. A Big Billy has so much neck/shoulder mass and can take a lot of poorly placed lead before dieing inhumanely. Used to retrieve plenty for dog tucker and float them down to the ute while working up the Clarence for a couple of seasons.
    yes the 22-250 I took a newbie out -never shot anything bigger than a possum - he had bought a 22-250 nice early Tikka LSA - big billy -well he stuffed around and finally goat turned arse on and started to walk away- he looked at me as much to say well I stuffed that up - I said give the bugger a texas heart shot - a what - fair up its arse - boom - I swear the sides of that billy blew out a foot either side and he dropped as dead as a door nail - dont really recommend that shot but man the old 22-250 very final