Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Advice on semi auto rimfire for goats

Advice on semi auto rimfire for goats

Hey guys just asking on behalf of a farmer friend who is at his wits end with goat problems since the ban.

He had to hand in all his semi auto centrefires for obvious reasons and as a result is struggling a bit to deal with the groups of goats he comes across which are causing real problems on the farm.

He just wants a semi auto rifle he can take on his quad when he is by himself that's capable of killing goats in an ethical manner at 100m that is rimfire. Will one of those fancy 17hmr or 22mag semi autos do this in an ethical manner?

Or even maybe that 17wsm - though I heard there are not many rimfire examples and the ammo is scarce/pricey?

He is going to look at getting that famers exemption but he needs something now.

the 17wsm ar15 pattern is aparently not even approved by police yet so will be a year away from arriving aparently
    going by the facebook ad I saw from i think broncos outdoors

a friend of mine has been wanting one for a while but after a 6months of nothing hes finally lost interest

still think youd be better off with a howa mini 223 and a hand full of ten shot mags
    Moa Hunter likes this.

or a lever action 357 or the like maybe...fast follow up when you get the hang of them and very little recoil so easy to hold on target , or resight on new target quickly
    coltace likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

222/223, nice handy carbine style, several mags, and a big arsed suppressor. Stay a ways back rather than closing to 100, then quickly and efficiently ping them off
    mudgripz, GWH, Moa Hunter and 1 others like this.

The 22 magnum in the hands of a good shooter is a capable goat gun out to 100 or 125 yards max in my experience using either the fiocchi or cci 40 grain ammunition. The 17 I have no experience with but suspect that it would be unsuitable as bullet design is for varmint site animals.
    If you can get in close then you will get numberswith the 22 mag but be prepaired to spend time chasing up bleeters, and have several magazines loaded.
    It has neither the range or energy of the 223 and after a while he will need the extra legs so should get either a 223 or 7,62 x39 as goats learn guickly that the sound of a bike means bad things are coming.

I'd go either 17wsm in semi, or better a Browning BLR in 223 in lever. Next step would be a bolt action with 10 round mags.
    Bill999, Got-ya and dannyb like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

The CZ 512's are very nice to shoot and are reliable.

I would think that any rim fire would lead to some pretty unethical kills / wounded goats - 22Mag would work if you could get in close but you would want good shot placement which doesn't mean fast shots on a group.
    Can he set up and shoot from further away with a small suppressed center fire 223/243/ 6-6.5mm? otherwise a lever action might be a good alternative for 100m lots of lever options will work
    mudgripz, GSP HUNTER and rugerman like this.

I have some experience with semi 22 on goats, I shot some goats in less 100m with cci velocitor, but 22 mag would be better as it can do the job out to 150m. In 50m cci velocitor can penetrate goat body. 22mag very much same as.17 ,but 22mag seems more options on guns.

Tell him to apply for P. If he can prove he has significant economic or environmental damage the P endorsement is not hard to get. I want every land manager to apply for this, after the first 10,000 or so applications we can start to suggest the semi autos should be more widely available as they are essential for pest control. They need to see the genuine need out there.

Savage A17 or 22M. Should work OK with neck shots. A straight pull or lever action 223 maybe better. He might actually be eligible for a P endorsement now, though it's a massive fuck around to get it and keep it, then you have to find a rifle.

Semi shotgun with slugs?
    coltace and Russian 22. like this.

Also I'd be keen to help him with his goat problem
    Russian 22. and Synthetic like this.

I've found buck shot effective. 223 blr would be the ticket.

I found a semi .22 Magnum good for goats, but high neck shots only. I used an H&K, but they are as rare as rocking horse poo, as is the Harrington and Richardson .22 Mag. CZ put out a model, though...