Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Advice on semi auto rimfire for goats

Some firsthand experience of culling groups of goats with rimfire:

Magnum Research’s Magnum Lite .22 WMR
    https://www.magnumresearch.com/magnum-lite-22/#

I’m pretty sure I’ve written about this rifle on here before. I have used it twice in hill country Taranaki on small mobs of goats to great effect, shooting the 30gr V-Max which runs at about 2200fps if I remember correctly.

I guess it’s one of those things that you have to do yourself or experience as a witness to see how cleanly this thing kills goats. Point of aim is front of the shoulder, that wee V-Max puts them down no trouble at all. I was on a Suzuki King quad on both occasions and the bike has a very well designed custom shooting rest running right around the front of the bike. Ranges were mostly 40-60 yards I guess. I can’t really comment on 100 yards because I didn’t do it other than on beer cans, but one thing is for sure the accuracy most certainly is there, these are bloody good rifles.

To be honest there really is no question in my mind as to the “ethics” of it. The high shoulder point of impact drops the animal, and like any situation if it doesn’t die quickly first time round you just shoot it again or cut its throat.
    Just...say...the...word

TLB
    For culling I personally wouldn't recommend a rimfire. The idea is to kill as many as quickly as possible, shot placement is critical with a rimfire, a lot more margin of error with a centerfire.
    I use a howa mini action .223 with a couple of mags and also a shotgun with buckshot. If you can sneak right up a semi with buckshot in hand just annihilates them. Empty the mag then pick up the .223.
    Or on flat paddocks cut them off with a quad bike then let rip with buckshot. Two shooters both with a shotgun and a centerfire and depending where the mob is more often than not there are very few survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy06 View Post
    22mag semiauto. You get in close, head shoot the first one, the rest run might get a second, then your on running chest shots that may not work. They are now out of range.
    I don’t really agree with the statement mate. When culling goats it’s all about picking the oldest nannies first. The yearlings and kids very rarely run away after the old girl goes down, especially if they are a direct descendent. I say this on the basis of shooting hundreds of goats every year and having a very specific method to selecting my first couple of shots. I was cleaning up groups of six or seven with only one or two escapees with subsonics last week.

If the mob has a broader range of adult goats, especially billies, then it’s more likely you’ll lose a few as they run. I’ll work them out before I take my first shot and decide which of the first two or three goats to drop, knowing that if I’m successful I have a very high chance of getting most of the rest. The importance of that old nanny can’t be overstated.
    Just...say...the...word

we found MOST times they will break uphill,they like high ground....keep shooting the leader as flyblown has said and the others may mill around long enough to get more...many times I went 6 from 6 with the poohseventy.....within 200 yards I would do the same with .223 for certain.
    we used to make pocket/beer money head shooting goats with .22lr......by far and away the MOST effective way to do so was to round them up with stock dogs into corner of fence where they could be kept within 50 yards...mate had tiny wee scope and it was great...looking back I wouldve done it way easier with the .223
    Ive shot half dozen with .22magnum......the .223 is just miles better in so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post
    Hmmm .... pretty sure the op wasn’t asking for offers to help shoot/cull..usually in this type of scenario it’s a shoot them while you are there/can situation. If the landowner/manager has to go back n ring joe bloggs rec hunter it’s a” nah can’t make it cos if (insert excuse/reason) I’ll be there next weekend..” it’s too late. The damage is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My offer of help was made in good faith and can be taken or left - no problem. I Have been controlling animals on several farms now for a number of years. If the farmer is desperate to control numbers, three experienced shooters working in radio contact in a coordinated cull will typically out perform a lone shooter using a rimfire semi.

I use a .22WMR pretty much exclusively for all my rabbit shooting now due to its effectiveness out to 120m. Bullet selection would be key for goats. I have found the 40gr Winchester pops rabbits like a .223, and has enough penetration to go through 4x 2L milk bottles full of water. Would be a good starter ammo to try.
    mimms2 likes this.

Sure, if it were me @Micky Duck I would go .223 bolt action with a 10 shot mag because I back myself to cycle a well fitting, well balanced, lightweight micro action rifle pretty darn fast. But the thing that makes all the difference is the rest. That’s why I mentioned the set up on that Suzuki bike. Because it makes a massive difference to the shooter’s ability to put a small bullet in the right place. With nil recoil and the right optic, shooting off a rest like that is almost an unfair advantage.

I’m away at the moment and we have a collective problem with photos anyway but maybe I will be able to find some examples of the last trip to that particular property, showing the wounding on the high shoulder. I’m pretty sure I took some photos of skinned goats hung up which clearly shows the point of impact.

I think it’s fair to say sometimes we forget how small and weedy a lot of goats are. It’s one thing when you’re dealing with heavy Billys with a full winter coat but something altogether different when you’re shooting dozens of yearling runty bloody things. There’s fuck all to them and you could practically kill them with a peashooter.
    GSP HUNTER likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

3 different importers have tried to import 17wsm ar15's and have being declined doubt broncos would be any different, i would go for a semi shotgun with buckshot/slugs

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy06 View Post
    A few scenarios.
    22mag semiauto. You get in close, head shoot the first one, the rest run might get a second, then your on running chest shots that may not work. They are now out of range.

Varmint cartrige bolt rifle or lever action. 10 round mag. 22/250 243, maybe others incl 223
    Zero for 250m. Get in close start shooting. Fast cal running chest shots a lot more do able. Point blank range to 300m atleast.

Get more shooters

Chopper and a shotgun.

Shoot at a distance that gives you a bigger shooting gallery. Range areas to give you a quick dope chart and lay into them.

For the average person. Option 2 of a 22/250, 223 or 243 would probably give you the most dead goats.
    Christ. Sounds like a bloody war.

If the 17wsm AR's come to pass, the 25gr load from Winchester would probably be the ticket. This cartridge is used effectively on Coyotes in the US.

If you are trying to establish forestry it bloody is.

Or replant manuka for honey... Comvita acquired one of the neighbouring blocks and they made a massive mistake with the timing of their first big planting. Should have gone much much harder on the goats and deer first...
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Cowboy06 you left off 'Release some Tahr among the goats and tell DOC what you've seen'
    As Dick Emery would say " Oh you are naughty , but I like you "

I wouldn't be using a 22LR on goats - semiauto or not. Too much opportunity for wounding. My 22 magnum will be better but is not my preferred choice. Goat is a medium framed animal in NZ terms - needs a cartridge offering quick consistent kills.

When popping mobs of goats I have stopped 100-150m away and either sat or bipod shot them with a 243. At this range if you've stalked them they may not see you, may not know where shot coming from, and often mill around especially - as noted above - if you drop the big ones first. This little strategy does work - they get confused and often stand around like sheep, and you will often have no trouble popping mobs of 5-10 with the centrefire. 223 or 243 or similar will be ideal - means you're not relying on neck and head rimfire shots (both of which can easily leave badly wounded animals), and you can put them down hard with a round in the shoulder. Effective and humane.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    If the mob has a broader range of adult goats, especially billies, then it’s more likely you’ll lose a few as they run. I’ll work them out before I take my first shot and decide which of the first two or three goats to drop, knowing that if I’m successful I have a very high chance of getting most of the rest. The importance of that old nanny can’t be overstated.
    100% agreed.

On top of that I have had more success of getting the majority of goats by just me shooting and taking a bit of time between shots too. Rather than 2 or 4 people bombing them up.

First time I saw this was with a group of about 20 goats 120m away. Friends first time shooting goats. Took about 2mins to make his first shot. So long I was getting impatient and a minute between each one after. First shot bang.... Down goes matriarch. They shuffle away a few meters and wait around. I can see their body language ease up and relaxe just in time for next shoot. Till after the 5th they decided to move off. 5 shots. 5 perfect shots. Right behind the shoulder. I wish I was as good of a student.

With 1 firearm we managed to get 12 out of 15 from one mob in a last outing. With a little bit of luck and making each shot count. Two mags. 1 missed shot on the run. Hand rifle over while he gets into position and I reload the mags. He then cleaned up the last that didn't know where to go.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I'd go either 17wsm in semi, or better a Browning BLR in 223 in lever. Next step would be a bolt action with 10 round mags.
    He has a BLR and some other lever guns, he is wanting something with the point /shoot/repeat ability.