Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Semi Auto 22 WMR vs Bolt action 223 for goats

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    I've been lucky enough to have shot private property for goat eradication and have probably accounted for close to 1500 goats over the years. 223 all the way is the answer.
    I went from a 6 shot Sako Vixen to a "Black Gun" to speed things up but we all know what happened there... Back to the 6 shot these days, but I tend to use the 6x45 now as its so much fun.
    Get a Howa Mini, couple of mags, good glass and enjoy yourself.

Be safe
    WaikatoBushman likes this.

Go in to your local store have a look at what ammo is available or on line Broncos, reloaders which only list ammo in stock and you will end up with a 223

YeArs ago there was a pair of DOC contact shooters using 22WMR on goats, they must’ve had dispensation to use rim fire. They sent heading dogs up ridges and gully heads, herded animals down and shot goats at bottom of hill. Effective but well trained dogs/shooters. I’ve shot thousands of goats, mainly with 223 and mostly bush shooting. Very effective and reasonably cheap @ $0.76/round with bulk Belmont ammo. I also reload down to around and velocities for working close around residential areas. Avoids noise complaints from sensitive types but you need to be certain of shot placement. The sound of distressed goats will upset people quickly. So yeah, I’d go with 223. With an accurate one goats are a piece of piss out to 200m+, 470m odd if you know your rifle. My 16” Howa shot off bumbag or hill stick is good enough to hit standard clay targets at this range but bullet energy not a lot left, the odd finishing shot needed.

Re: above message. Should read "reload down to WMR velocities for working around residential areas". Didn't edit in time.
    Micky Duck and WaikatoBushman like this.

22 magnum ammo isn't really cheap anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    yes the 22-250 I took a newbie out -never shot anything bigger than a possum - he had bought a 22-250 nice early Tikka LSA - big billy -well he stuffed around and finally goat turned arse on and started to walk away- he looked at me as much to say well I stuffed that up - I said give the bugger a texas heart shot - a what - fair up its arse - boom - I swear the sides of that billy blew out a foot either side and he dropped as dead as a door nail - dont really recommend that shot but man the old 22-250 very final
    Now that suppressor technology has come so far, the 22.250 really is the ducks nuts for small to medium sized game. Prior to suppressors, my Sako 22.250 was like a magic wand...start taking up tension on the trigger and the goat/deer would fall over even before the trigger had travelled its full arc!. But man they were hard on your ears.

Walking my rifle
    Agree with the 223 statements above, have shot probably around 500+ goats.
    Trailed a few things even a 10/22 with velocitors which worked OK up close but many needed several follow up shots
    223 works great especially since many of them its easy to get 10rd mags for, choice is howa mini from what's on the market id say.
    Ive swithched to a 22 250AI though, it does a great job when owner says there are too many goats and you find a few mobs of fallow too .got my second one on the way.
    Moa Hunter and WaikatoBushman like this.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

lots of mentions of old stinky billy...BUT majority of animals will be nannies n kids...the .223 is definatly the better option,Ive shot goats with both AND have done the round up with dogs n shoot with .22lr thing...we used to meat hunt goats and sell for beer money as a teenager. an accurate .22lr with scope or indeed .22mag will work...but you only get one shot at quiet undisturbed animal before they are off and then its multiple body shots to anchor them...messy,noisy and not humaine...the .223 is just about perfect in every way for a goat sized animal....ammunition choice make a bit of difference too.... but 90% of .223 stuff is ideal for goats from small to huge.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Is spinning yarns
    I've knocked around 120 odd goats to date on this property, around 80 of which were taken by winny 22lr 40gr Powerpoint, all taken within 30 meters via the cranium or neck, the rest taken with a 7mm08. I had contemplated a 22-250 when brain storming but the shorter barrel life and ammo availability crossed that one off the list.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Buy Once, Cry Once

Is spinning yarns
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    lots of mentions of old stinky billy...BUT majority of animals will be nannies n kids...the .223 is definatly the better option,Ive shot goats with both AND have done the round up with dogs n shoot with .22lr thing...we used to meat hunt goats and sell for beer money as a teenager. an accurate .22lr with scope or indeed .22mag will work...but you only get one shot at quiet undisturbed animal before they are off and then its multiple body shots to anchor them...messy,noisy and not humaine...the .223 is just about perfect in every way for a goat sized animal....ammunition choice make a bit of difference too.... but 90% of .223 stuff is ideal for goats from small to huge.
    Majority of what I've taken on the property have been nannys and kids with a 22LR, with the occasional 28"+ taken by the 7mm08
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Buy Once, Cry Once

An acquaintance from years ago was a culler in the BOP for a few years. Did the whole bit, sometimes they would do rabbits or goats.
    when they weren't mucking about with Ruger mini 14s and the odd Ar15s their main weapon on goats was a Ruger 10/22 with a silencer and hushpower ammo.
    double tap to the neck and look for the next one.
    Not necessarily always instant so not always humane either but worked for the most part apparently

Quote Originally Posted by WaikatoBushman View Post
    Cheers for all the input gentlemen, I was initially leaning in the direction of the 223 but a mates opinion had me thinking otherwise

* Just a disclaimer, I'm certainly no professional goat culler, Ive been shooting goats free of charge on a private property around Port Waikato for an older mate who recently got his property boundary fenced and have been using my deer rifle to do so which is getting expensive, I'm in no way obligated to finish the task but am not one to leave a job half arsed
    Always been heaps of goats in that area. Just before Xmas the BIL who farms in Wairamarama which is just inland from the Port called up all upset as goats had taken a liking to his silage paddocks. I went out with a couple of nephews, and we got 70 over a few days.
    I used a 9422m lever as I don't have a 223. The range was never more than about 100m. It worked fine but there were a few follow up shots required. As its open paddocks it was easy to make sure they were all humanly finished off. The boys had 308 bolt actions (targeted the billys). With the 10 shot capacity I was able to outscore them. With large mobs capacity really does help.

The 223 is way better for the job, but the 22mag works ok if you already own one.
    Moa Hunter and WaikatoBushman like this.

Is spinning yarns
    Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    An acquaintance from years ago was a culler in the BOP for a few years. Did the whole bit, sometimes they would do rabbits or goats.
    when they weren't mucking about with Ruger mini 14s and the odd Ar15s their main weapon on goats was a Ruger 10/22 with a silencer and hushpower ammo.
    double tap to the neck and look for the next one.
    Not necessarily always instant so not always humane either but worked for the most part apparently
    The 22 setup I run is for the most part identical (albeit a DPT can). Ive found to be very effective at dispatching average sized goats at closer ranges. I had one larger bodied billy run from what was likely a poorly placed neck shot and I've taken my deer rifle for the bigger boys ever since
    Buy Once, Cry Once

Is spinning yarns
    Quote Originally Posted by Got-ya View Post
    Always been heaps of goats in that area. Just before Xmas the BIL who farms in Wairamarama which is just inland from the Port called up all upset as goats had taken a liking to his silage paddocks. I went out with a couple of nephews, and we got 70 over a few days.
    I used a 9422m lever as I don't have a 223. The range was never more than about 100m. It worked fine but there were a few follow up shots required. As its open paddocks it was easy to make sure they were all humanly finished off. The boys had 308 bolt actions (targeted the billys). With the 10 shot capacity I was able to outscore them. With large mobs capacity really does help.

The 223 is way better for the job, but the 22mag works ok if you already own one.
    I'm in roughly the same area (Namely Waikaretu-Wairamarama) so many goats in the area its not funny, you can drive at night time and see huge mobs of 30+ on the roadside almost consistently. As the area is so packed with them, a mate and I were discussing starting a goat culling service up here, unfortunately most land owners have been getting Goat Musterers in to do the Job rather than cullers
    flock likes this.
    Buy Once, Cry Once

I shoot 1000s of goats as part of my job
    223 is the way to go