Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: First trip into kaimanawas

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    where does that go? through to the Oamaru?
    It goes to the high point above North Arm (Maungaorangi) then runs south along the ridge to the east of the north arm stream (Te Waiotupuritea) and comes out near the junction of the Oamaru and Waitawhero stream.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

four and half 5 hours about right. when you get to the top of the climb you sort of branch right just befor a small clearing 2mts x 2 mtrs obviously lunch stop for most, sit and look at the view. Behind you as you look at the view there is what can be called a large stand of mature trees with very little undergrouth and you can see a fair distance through the trees. So maybee stelth mode near the top there probably be no talking as you will be gasping for air after the climb. lol. That the best I can describe the place , i stopped for lunch there took a look around and thought what a cracker spot
    winaa and Hunter595 like this.

The Cascade Hut is a great place to go to for hunting, it doesn't see the pressure like Oamaru Hut but it's a bit of a gut buster to get in there as you'll soon see but certainly worth going. The hut itself is great but over winter doesn't see too much sun so it can be a cold place.

I used to spend a bit of time in there years back when Stanfeild Whare was still there which is a very old hut dating back to the 50's from memory and was just down river of Cascade Hut itself. Always great lighting fires in the fire place and the smoke going up through it's pumice chimney.

There is plenty of great bush hunting around Cascade Hut, even the walk in I'll be surprised if you don't get squealed or bump into one on the track.

Another place to venture into as one of your mates is wanting some 'comfort' is to go into Oamaru Hut, yes it gets the pressure but it's an easy 2.5 - 3 hr walk to get into through Poronui Station which you can't hunt on but if you go early morning or late afternoon then you'll see a few sika, get squealed at so you'll know what to look for.

Plenty of hunting in and around Oamaru Hut but as I mentioned above it does get its share of pressure because its an easier hut to get into than the likes of the Cascade but the deer aren't as spooky as to what Clements Mill Road is but they are educated but if you get away from the hut abit then the pressure is less and the deer aren't so easily spooked.

Yes, there is deer on Clements, even bumped into pigs but the deer there are next level wary.

May, June and in fact anytime of the year is a great time to chase sika and learn their behavior.

Two things I miss ALOT since moving south... "Kaimanawas" & "sika"

Cascade is mean. Well worth the walk. I probably personally would want more than a 3 day hunt to do it though as its a solid walk to get in there. You'll spend as much time walking as you will get hunting.

The oamaru would be my pick, especially midweek. Easy walk in and plenty of deer. The hut does get heaps of pressure but numbers are still good. I've spooked deer on the front lawn there taking a piss in the early hours with a hut full of hunters, also shot deer within 20 minutes walk/hunt of the hut, they are a bit less wary if you get up and shoot up or down the track for an hour first though.

Feels like forever since I've hunted there must make time to do a winter mission

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Do not let a bit of walking put you off.
    Into the Cascade from the road end or over Te Iringa to the Oamaru was the deal for us years ago.
    With the lightweight gear options today it would be even easier.

Must go to Cascade again.
    Did Kiko to Clements in the early 90s. Was a great walk and saw quite a few deer. Is it still able to be done? I see there is a bit of private land in the middle.

Awesome cheers all for the input! Some great info there. I’ll have a bit of a yarn with the fellas and make a d around whether we stick with Cascade or do Oamaru.

Sounds like either way is a win, can’t wait to get out there!
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted6. 5 View Post
    Must go to Cascade again.
    Did Kiko to Clements in the early 90s. Was a great walk and saw quite a few deer. Is it still able to be done? I see there is a bit of private land in the middle.
    Yep.....Helisika still allow foot access from Ngapuketurua to Cascade ( I think?) and the new route from Cascade out over Maungaorangi to avoid the private land in the North Arm is on Conservation land. Actually opens up some other options like a roam aound the head of Jap Creek etc if you're keen.
    winaa and Ted6. 5 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Yep.....Helisika still allow foot access from Ngapuketurua to Cascade ( I think?) and the new route from Cascade out over Maungaorangi to avoid the private land in the North Arm is on Conservation land. Actually opens up some other options like a roam aound the head of Jap Creek etc if you're keen.
    When did you confirm this? Ideal if they will let you still