Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Basspro & Cabelas - Phoenix, Arizona

Basspro & Cabelas - Phoenix, Arizona

Well I thought I might share some photos of a recent trip to the states where back in December we travelled to Phoenix, Arizona to hang out with some friends and on the 24th December the day before Christmas I got to go Basspro.

I've been to Basspro in Los Angeles before so like a kid in a candy store I was keen to visit another.

For those of you who have never been to one... it's fucking awesome!

Got there in the morning and with an extra spring in my step we were off so enjoy the photos.

We didn't hang around at Basspro as much as I thought we would and to be honest the Basspro in Los Angeles was much, much better.

Seeing as Cabelas was only 25-30 minutes away and as we had time we hit the road and went there and I'm glad we did as Cabelas was much better out of the two stores. I could have spent more time there but we were pressed for time.

Shootm, Tahr, madjon_ and 26 others like this.

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    How can gun city claim to be the largest with those sort of amazing shops around

Thanks for sharing the photos. Brings back good memories.
    Did the same a few years back when I was stuck in Southern CA for work over a weekend - drove to Phoenix Az to the same stores.

Quote Originally Posted by faregame View Post
    How can gun city claim to be the largest with those sort of amazing shops around
    I believe it is because they are specifically a gun store and their space dedicated to firearms is bigger than any others? Cabellas and Bass pro are sports stores rather than gunshops. Bass pro looks like it has a H&F feel to it , but it looks like they succeeded at what they were trying to do and H&F are trying to copy the big boys.....but without the budget or taste.

Bos
    or, most importantly, expertise
    Tribrit likes this.

Well unfortunately Bass Pro bought out Cabelas and is running it into the ground. Bass Pro has a lot of cheaper clothing lines and similar things and has gradually assimilated Cabelas with more junk on the shelves. Cabelas with some of their own store labeled brands had some very hard wearing, durable clothes and their stuff overall was more suited to real outdoorsman, while Bass Pro has been more for the fisherman and pseudo city slicker I want to look like a cool outdoorsman thing. Bass Pro is also not as big on firearms as the old Cabelas was, so for instance the one Cabelas I visit frequently, they cut the firearms section in half and replaced it with pink camo and junk for kids.

Still, the big mega store Cabelas(there are some smaller size Cabelas out there) they are worth a visit if you happen to be passing by. At the big Cabelas they are pretty good about having a well stocked reloading section and lots of ammo. However everything at these stores is more high retail price so one thing I do is often you can get discounted E-gift cards online which will save you 10-20%.
    Tommy likes this.

And there was also once Gander Mountain chain stores, but these closed a few years ago... i got a lot of bargins from them, and actually preferred some of the lines they carried over Cabela's and Bass Pro...

Good lord
    Fantastic job with pics
    Were you Bankrupt once you left :-)

See Ammo just on open shelf/isles
    Micky Duck likes this.

The one on Memphis has live gators in the pond!
    I was there during game bird season and the different types of decoys, calls, hides and other shit was a site to behold.

Even Mrs IMaca likes going to them. We went back to the Memphis store in the evening to have dinner as our AirBnB was just around the corner

Oh lord that's epic
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Meanwhile we have this.Name:  images (16).jpeg
Views: 373
Size:  32.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by faregame View Post
    i have been to 3 bass pro/cabellas and the stores are amazing but the firearms section is nowhere near the same size as GC christchurch. however the range of what they sell is amazing, from a single fishing lure thru power boats, skidoo's, ATV's etc

I find that if I go into one without a list I come out empty handed. Too big, too much stuff it can be a mind fu**!
    338MAN mk2 likes this.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Great pix. Yeah, at Bass Pro in Vegas I just wandered around with my jaw on the ground, it was just incredible. Twice a day they threw in a line and hooked a bass in the indoor pool which was almost identical to those pix, and released it.

“Where you from hun? I can tell you’re not from around here. We can ship anything you like to wherever you live...”
    Snowgrass and Micky Duck like this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

@Seventenths.
    Thanks so much for going to the effort of posting these. Simply amazing.. I have been to USA and Canada a couple of times but in forest ptoduction areas, quite remote and never got to see those big stores. Thanks again.
    Seventenths likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.