Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Foot n mouth

In U.K. they did'nt cull all the deer but effectively did so to many farms and farmers. It affected farm subsidy costs and the marketing balances nationally and internationally. Yes; it is concering on many levels.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Please forgive my cynicism here, but F&M encounters/scares/incidents are fairly routine at the border; they tend to get publicized when there is a need to obfuscate and hide some other unpleasant news - last time this happened was during the Helen Clarke years....(the current politicians have been spoilt lately with Covid - guess the shine is wearing off Covid as a distraction....)

I'm not downplaying F&M at all - it would decimate our biggest export earners overnight, but there's a nagging feeling that the latest "scare" is being used cynically.
    Ben Waimata likes this.

Banned
    The importation of many tonnes of uncooked pork into NZ is our greatest F&M risk. Have to agree with posted sentiments re people bringing in food items. I would take it a step further and forfeit their entire luggage - Caught with undeclared food = all luggage burnt
    jakewire, Dreamer, tetawa and 5 others like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Please forgive my cynicism here, but F&M encounters/scares/incidents are fairly routine at the border; they tend to get publicized when there is a need to obfuscate and hide some other unpleasant news - last time this happened was during the Helen Clarke years....(the current politicians have been spoilt lately with Covid - guess the shine is wearing off Covid as a distraction....)

I'm not downplaying F&M at all - it would decimate our biggest export earners overnight, but there's a nagging feeling that the latest "scare" is being used cynically.
    Perhaps cranking up the fear of F&M helps maintain the fear of diseases ( and covid) in general ?
    Husky1600 and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    In U.K. they did'nt cull all the deer but effectively did so to many farms and farmers. It affected farm subsidy costs and the marketing balances nationally and internationally. Yes; it is concering on many levels.
    I visited the UK in 2005, 18 months after it was all over. You could drive for more than an hour in any direction from my in laws house in rural Cheshire and not see a single farm animal. A truly sobering experience

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Considering how many deer opportunistically graze on farmland/paddocks in the UK, I find this to be evidence of how futile thier imposed culls were...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/...s.footandmouth

The culls got rid of a lot of farm subsidy payments----
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    The importation of many tonnes of uncooked pork into NZ is our greatest F&M risk. Have to agree with posted sentiments re people bringing in food items. I would take it a step further and forfeit their entire luggage - Caught with undeclared food = all luggage burnt
    Me don't understand english now
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

LBD
    We have a decent concentration of deer, pigs and way too many goats in our region... I tend to think if FnM got in to those populations, it would never be eradicated...

You can bring it in on your shoes as well so not just in food products. It would be the end of the export meat industry.

Common Sense would indicate absolutely every one should be walking thru a footbath full of nasty FnM killing liquid, NO EXCEPTIONS for anyone one including Airport Staff.

Along with the banning of food thing hopefully it would be kept out mind you I guess its a virus/diesease just like Covid so most likely it will be the same with beuracratic bumbling everywhere...........................
    rugerman and bigbear like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post

No doubt. Smoke n mirrors n all that. Be a bugger if it was a double bind….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    This , I would go further
    I have no idea why we pander to these people
    All luggage burnt, don't leave the airport, on the next plane home
    Make it known world wide that this is what happens if you get caught bringing undeclared into New Zealand
    Stuff them
    Dreamer, mikee, Pengy and 6 others like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I was told yesterday that a lot of the newly created Customs roles that came about due to Covid, are due to have contracts expire in September. Coincidence maybe ?
    7mmwsm likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    This , I would go further
    I have no idea why we pander to these people
    All luggage burnt, don't leave the airport, on the next plane home
    Make it known world wide that this is what happens if you get caught bringing undeclared into New Zealand
    Stuff them
    The greater risk, being that of legally imported pork product would still remain. It would be possible for a shipment to be declared disease free but for it to contain product from stock slaughtered at the very beginning of an outbreak in the country of origin when the outbreak was perhaps only five cases