Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Freezing meat, advice for first visit

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Australian customs are really tight when it comes to bringing in anything living or once lived.
    Someone else I gave it to got through Melbourne customs so we thought he would be ok. He wasn't happy.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    cheaper and easier to feed a quad than a nag and the quad never complains when you fire over its head.
    Agreed but it is somewhat more difficult to drown a horse
    veitnamcam, Shearer and Micky Duck like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Too true However horses can go places quads cannot.

Is the hunting crowd getting back away from the flats/ huts/roads/trails or are they concentrated in the easier terrain? How are deer numbers? Thanks for the info.

I'm planning to eat some every day but I don't think I can eat a whole tahr and red deer and maybe chamois in 3 weeks. I will have a friend along and he can do his share of eating also.

I would be happy to share with all the members with a big feed before returning to Hawaii.

I'm planning to avoid to Australia like the plague. I would like to get home with my meat, Trophies and rifle.

This is true. I had 2 horses roll down the mountain and fall in the river and they got out just fine. The saddles were a little worse for wear however.
    johnd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Docsbinocs View Post
    Is the hunting crowd getting back away from the flats/ huts/roads/trails or are they concentrated in the easier terrain? How are deer numbers? Thanks for the info.
    The harder the access, the less people usually. Stay away from huts and be prepared to walk 4 hours and you shouldn't see many people, but chopper access sometimes breaks that rule. Animal numbers can be variable. Will depend on how much the choppers have been shooting stags in the summer. They will still be around, but might not be many big stags. Of the areas you listed the AHuriri will prob have the least deer.

I was thinking of mountain biking up the Hurunui like you did from the gate at Lake Katrine. Do I need landowner permission? I hear that there is good hunting above Mackenzie Creek and Canyon Creek. Can you ride a bike up to Mackenzie hut?
    Has anyone been able to get access up the Waihopai River in Marlborough? Thinking of hiring a helicopter to get access to the land locked public lands.I read that there are good numbers of reds and fallow deer. From the maps it looks like there is access from Leatham side. His anyone done this?

Thank you stug for the information.
    What do think about hiring a helicopter out of double hill/ Rakaia to go up toward the main divide for deer?

i suggest the kowhai river track in the kaikoura ranges and shoot some pigs or goats. great place to hunt

You don't need landowner permission for the Hurunui. I don't think you'll get a bike up to the McKenzie Hut.
    I don't think double hill are doing helicopter trips anymore, you'd need to get Mt Hutt heli, or come over from the west coast. A few people do fly into the Marlborough back country, only way to access a lot of it.

Thanks for the advice however we have lots and lots of wild pig and goat hunting in Hawaii. I am targeting red deer, tahr and chamois

Thanks again for the information.
    I'm wondering about weather West of the main divided versus East. Is there much difference when you get up above the Bush line on either side of the divide?
    I do not like hunting in fog, would rather get stuck in the eye with a sharp stick.