Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Goats in native bush (not mountains)

Goats in native bush (not mountains)

Morning all. Planning on heading into the bush this coming weekend for some goats. What kind of movements do goats make during the day? Do they like to hang out in open areas if its sunny? Or stay under the tree canopy? Do they stay close to water sources? What kind of sign do goats make that could point me in the right direction? No dogs will be with me. Thanks.

Jus
    Steep and bluffy, rocky areas. Will beds mid morning and sometimes arvo, seem to feed mid day fairly often. Listen for them, will hear them bleating if you get a bit of elevation. This time of year I’d say checking out north facing gully’s that will have new growth, also river beds where fresh grass will be growing

Have had great success in the tangihua ranges with no dogs, it's mountainous but dense bush and plenty of flat areas full of classic kiwi bush. They do leave obvious "game trails" over time through thick supplejack etc so following them is a good bet. They can be out any time of day but morning and evening is likely to be when you see them parked up in one spot. They often bleat loudly giving you an easy sign to locate them. They really like using human walking tracks too so just look for where the footprints intersect the main trails and follow their little networks. They do like open areas especially with some grass and rocks if a little bluff is there. Depending on the biome you're in finding a dark but open patch of bush with nikau and puriri you can have quite good line of sight if you just kneel down. Practice your goat Kid bleat they really do respond to it, sometimes even walk right up to you.
    I've never seen them super close to water, seems they prefer to be on a ridgeline.
    I once walked across a ridgeline all the way to the opposite hillside only to look back across the way and see 5 goats in the open grassy bit below the bluff I was on a few hours prior.
    I once said "sorry" to a black and white one on the main walking track as I startled it and I thought it was a hiker.
    My logic is usually not to try locate the goats, rather read the terrain and locate the ideal goat habitat and just check if they're there cos they usually are.
    paremata, Jukes, Tall kiwi and 2 others like this.

Keep your ears open. Youll usually hear them
    Tall kiwi likes this.

MB
    Good advice above. Just to add my experience. They seem to come out in to clearings later in the morning than deer, when the sun is well up. I often get going too early for goats and catch up with them on my walk out.
    GSP HUNTER, tetawa, BSA and 5 others like this.

Nice. Thanks for the advice. I plan on getting into the bush around 6.30am so before the sun gets too high in the sky. From what I can see on the topo map there are a couple of open clearings which I will make my way to.

Name:  hunting.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  317.5 KB
    dantheman likes this.

I know that block….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall kiwi View Post
    Nice. Thanks for the advice. I plan on getting into the bush around 6.30am so before the sun gets too high in the sky. From what I can see on the topo map there are a couple of open clearings which I will make my way to.

Attachment 236969
    did you know that with WAMS maps you can turn that green shading of - use it as aerial photos ( great to see clearings ) and you can put DOC/private boundary's on - if ya did my apologies for preaching to converted
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    Keep your ears open. Youll usually hear them
    And your sniffer working.
    Micky Duck, techno retard and blip like this.

@Barry the hunter How do you turn the green into aerial photos/DOC boundaries?

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    @Barry the hunter How do you turn the green into aerial photos/DOC boundaries?
    go to top right - layers - DOC land -click square with the tick and shading will turn of - for aerial photos top right click on base map then imagery - boundarys you need the map showing legal titles - shows as thin red line - a tip with WAMS maps go into legend and switch of everything you dont need sysytem will work faster as its not searching for every esplanade reserve etc in country- just what you want - have a play with layers legend ya cant hurt it - good luck -

Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post
    I know that block….

I know that block has no access that isn't across private land so I hope the poster has figured that out.
    If not go a bit further south to Matahuru walk along the track until you hit some nice warm north facing faces and hunt into the wind. Mind the boundaries.
    https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...puakohe-range/
    Last edited by Makros; 06-11-2023 at 06:12 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post
    I know that block….

Do you have any tips you wouldn't mind sharing?

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    I know that block has no access that isn't across private land so I hope the poster has figured that out.
    If not go a bit further south to Matahuru walk along the track until you hit some nice warm north facing faces and hunt into the wind. Mind the boundaries.
    https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...puakohe-range/
    Yup, access all sorted. My inlaws property is a few hundred meters from the property edge. The neighbors section behind them goes right up to the edge and are happy for me to walk through

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    did you know that with WAMS maps you can turn that green shading of - use it as aerial photos ( great to see clearings ) and you can put DOC/private boundary's on - if ya did my apologies for preaching to converted
    I didn't know that! Thanks for the tip