Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Goats in native bush (not mountains)

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    I know that block has no access that isn't across private land so I hope the poster has figured that out.
    If not go a bit further south to Matahuru walk along the track until you hit some nice warm north facing faces and hunt into the wind. Mind the boundaries.
    https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...puakohe-range/
    That block you don’t need to cross private land. You access it of the road(can’t think of name of it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post
    I know that block….

My bad. Looks like from first glance a block I hunt. Then I looked closer….oops.

Quote Originally Posted by Jus View Post
    Steep and bluffy, rocky areas. Will beds mid morning and sometimes arvo, seem to feed mid day fairly often. Listen for them, will hear them bleating if you get a bit of elevation. This time of year I’d say checking out north facing gully’s that will have new growth, also river beds where fresh grass will be growing
    Jus is on to it - goats are not rocket science to hunt - work the ridges especially any open steep areas - sign will be obvious - listen they can be noisy - just a look at that map would not mind betting goats will be coming out onto new fresh spring growth somewhere around that boundary

There is no real need to go out at 0630 , unless you want to , as goats follow the way of " Gentleman's hours". Just go where it is warm & sunny & sheltered at this time of year and don't bother during the heat of the day during Summer .
    You will ether hear them or smell them or just see them , they are not supper smart unless they are constantly harassed .
    blip likes this.