Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree221Likes

Thread: A good calibre on pigs

These were shot with a suppressed 223
    Name:  DEE9E860-D3E1-45EB-BCD9-BD98C8E7ED1C.jpeg
Views: 588
Size:  436.3 KB
    Name:  C51DE13B-06AB-41E4-858C-ACEE4C32B42E.jpeg
Views: 546
Size:  989.5 KB
    These were shot with 300WSM two shooters
    Name:  11B19BC1-BF06-49A7-8C64-54060AF239CB.jpeg
Views: 680
Size:  4.53 MB
    I like 222 up for pigs always try to shoot them in the head. But if you’re not confident head shooting go slightly larger caliber and put one in there engine room.
    Bill999, tikka, kotuku and 6 others like this.

1 centerfire to do it all?

308. Decent hunting ammo is cheap as through belmont, you can get soft shooting loads, subs, big longs, whatever.
    Every brand of rifle chambers for it. etc etc.
    Dama dama, 308, Mooseman and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Anything from 243 upwards with good constructed bullets. When I was culling second day on the job I run into a big boar about 25 yds below me, I hit him with a 50 gr Sako factory round in the ear hole and he dropped but stood straight back up so he got another in the Same place , this time he stayed down but was struggling to get up so I shot for the heart and that finish him. I have also seen a big boar take a 222 50 gr Sako in the shoulder as we were spotlighting one night. That boar never even dropped a step and kept on running never to be seen again, the shot was perfect as we seen the dust fly off a centre shoulder shot. 222 etc work but there are a lot better, a 308 with a good 150 gr bullet would see you right.
    No disrespect but around the ear is a pretty soft spot for a instant kill and i find it hard to believe two shots there didnt kill it little alone the first one.
    Fact is if that was the case there was something seriously wrong with the ammo as in that area thats the best place even for a .22 to have total sucess/ just saying

There was even a utube video on hunting pigs with dogs and the guy just being smart was using a .177 air rifle to knock over big boars shot in the ear at close range
    Last edited by deer243; 02-06-2020 at 11:10 PM.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

The trouble with pigs is the range in size. Most calibers will handle mob pigs under 100lb. But I can almost guarantee like 90% of hunters, when you see a mob you will not be able to help yourself in going for the biggest! Its understandable. I have seen a 180lb boar stop a .270 projectile with its shield and shoulder blade. But thats also a rare event.
    Get a 6.5 of some sort ( Grendel,Creedmoor, .260 or 6.5x55) would be my advice. Its not too big, but you can use it for pigs, deer goats and maybe some small game if you wish.
    Mooseman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    No disrespect but around the ear is a pretty soft spot for a instant kill and i find it hard to believe two shots there didnt kill it little alone the first one.
    Fact is if that was the case there was something seriously wrong with the ammo as in that area thats the best place even for a .22 to have total sucess/ just saying

There was even a utube video on hunting pigs with dogs and the guy just being smart was using a .177 air rifle to knock over big boars shot in the ear at close range
    Yes you are right I was surprised when he stood up after the first and still struggled after the second. He was a big animal maybe 200 pound. The bullets we then used were Sako 50 gr (factory)which I thought were a bit hard if anything. I don't have a problem with people using light calibers on pigs but you do get the odd stuff up which is why I would prefer 243 or better.
    I would rather see them dead on the ground than get away wounded.
    deer243 and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I would rather see them dead on the ground than get away wounded.
    And thats exactly the reason why there is a need for semi-auto centre-fires. Now, when you have only one shot, the chance of a beast getting away wounded has increased. Where as a good old double tap would have taken care of that.
    Mooseman, takbok and RV1 like this.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

over the years Ive shot pigs with .30/30 out to 150ish yards
    .270 out to 250ish
    .223 out to 150ish and some 140ish lb boars too
    .308 at spitting range
    .12ga under 30 yards
    7.62x39mm
    .22lr...and wouldnt do it again if had another choice.
    surprisingly Ive shot more with the ,223 than any other,because it get carried more than the others...the barnes ttsx has really really changed that wee round into giant killer....
    as others have said,use what you already have and if its a .224 centrefire,load it with monos....best eating meat by far is sow under 100lb and boar under 80lb....even if you only take out the hams and back steaks it is well worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    whats wrong with a good old 303?
    My oath -theres nowt more comforting than the boom of my no4 Mk1 1943 Canadian Longbranch .303 aka(the 18"naval gun).animals playing wicket keeper to her spin bowling have always had published obituaries the following day .I once had a packet of those 180gn round nose slugs-holy shit sherlock they do damage whatever they hit big time!
    once lacking a chainsaw i did mange to dislodge a particulary obstropulous buck jacko from a pine tree with the naval gun.
    unfortunately he was deceased due to my attempted neurosurgery with my wee russian toz 17 .22which resulted in a massive vacancy where his grey matter once resided-so he didnt feel the impact from a 15"fall.bugger all left from neck up too!
    latterly ive also got a 7.62x39 B/A in the safe and from what ive read its data with the 125gn slug is broadly similar to my .303.It too is a hard hitter in the right hands.
    Last edited by kotuku; 04-06-2020 at 06:06 PM.
    Phil_H likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr300WSM View Post
    These were shot with a suppressed 223
    Attachment 141526
    Attachment 141527
    These were shot with 300WSM two shooters
    Attachment 141528
    I like 222 up for pigs always try to shoot them in the head. But if you’re not confident head shooting go slightly larger caliber and put one in there engine room.
    Mate are you telling us the wee fella showed Dad up and bowled em all!
    Yuumy yummy yummy ,I feels pork in me tummy

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    Mate are you telling us the wee fella showed Dad up and bowled em all!
    Yuumy yummy yummy ,I feels pork in me tummy
    He’s got a few more footy seasons before he can use dads boomstick
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    A bit irrelevant to argue "need". Really all you need to secure meat is a pointy stick. And if you're modest, a loincloth. It's the first shot that counts.

A double-rifle gives you the "double tap". Levers and pumps are pretty quick. Hell even the old Enfield can get 40 rounds a minute on target. If you can't do it with the tools at hand, you probably shouldn't be doing it.

The semi argument is a whole nother thing.
    Somehow I dont think a pig is going to hang around while me (or anyone) runs up to them with a pointy stick. Im pretty sure caveman didnt say "If you can't do it with the tools at hand, you probably shouldn't be doing it", instead, he showed some initiative and invented something bigger and better that achieved a higher success rate. I wonder where society would be today if everyone adopted that attitude.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Got many a pig with a pointy stick, aka 303 bayonet on the end of a piece of hardwood, no lion cloth thou sorry.
    Bill999 and mimms2 like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    No a pig wont.
    A pig wont run away if you run up to it with a pointy stick? Really? Ok, I guess they fly as well then.

So mentioning where I think a semi has its place in hunting is now moaning? Fuck off.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    That was many years ago and was using hard bailing dogs, biggest 191lb. It is now the most popular biking area in NZ. There will still be the odd Whaka boar around I suspect. My hunting mate was the man and is still out there doing it at 68yrs, will walk and carry better than most. Was a fantastic mentor and a better friend.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Pigs hate being shot and don't stand up to it. What this means is that most any centrefire 222 and up is ok.
    Don't shoot big boars if you can choose a smaller pig as they will likely be tough, smell and a hard carry. Really only good for bragging.
    Shoot pigs in the head using the ear as an aim point. Pigs have short necks and their heads don't move much while you get lined up.
    If you cant shoot the head then hard behind the front leg is OK. The neck is ok as well but not too close to the shoulder or meat will be ruined.
    Gut and cool quickly. When home do skinning cuts on the ground and free the neck skin, then hang up by the nose and split the skin down the back bone. Pull the skin off in two halves. They only need a one day hang before bagging and freezing
    this.

Shoot based on condition if the back bone is sticking up and it's tall and skinny give it away.
    Learn where the spine is, it's 3 inches lower than you think it will be
    Pigs will run to their death unless you break the shoulder or CNS shot them
    Anything works on pigs but centerfire is best

If you are prepared to wait where they come thru the fence a semi shotgun is devastating with 00 buck under 40m
    Bring someone to hold the light for you

I fucking hate when they scream so I just shoot them in the brain, side on it's about half an inch below the the bottom of the ear hole opening. But be careful any lower is a jaw/sinus shot. Front on it's a cross from ear to opposing eye
    Bol Tackshin, MB, mimms2 and 1 others like this.