Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: good weekend up the kawekas

good weekend up the kawekas

some flooded rivers, some awesome sun, some terrible wind and rain. constant off and on but it led to the deer presenting themselves when the sun hit.
    12 deer shot, 7 recovered, some of the unfound were recorderd on camera and dropped on the spot, but still unable to find them due to the terrain. Sad, but some times it is what it is.
    got 5 guys, who hadnt shot sika before onto their first sikas - all of theirs were recoverable. Stages had all dropped, accidently took 2 of them as they had Just dropped with blood around the peds.

once the pics come through ill pop a few up! the sika didnt have much of a pattern to height etc. saw a couple low mid day one day, and the others were mid height during the day. Next day they were all high up, could have been the microstorm climate we were in!
    lau lau, Woody, Mooseman and 2 others like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Geez, I hope you left me a couple, I’m heading in next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Larskramer View Post
    some flooded rivers, some awesome sun, some terrible wind and rain. constant off and on but it led to the deer presenting themselves when the sun hit.
    12 deer shot, 7 recovered, some of the unfound were recorderd on camera and dropped on the spot, but still unable to find them due to the terrain. Sad, but some times it is what it is.
    got 5 guys, who hadnt shot sika before onto their first sikas - all of theirs were recoverable. Stages had all dropped, accidently took 2 of them as they had Just dropped with blood around the peds.

once the pics come through ill pop a few up! the sika didnt have much of a pattern to height etc. saw a couple low mid day one day, and the others were mid height during the day. Next day they were all high up, could have been the microstorm climate we were in!
    Good on ya! Its gotta be done. Its the 2020's, not the 1980's

Quote Originally Posted by Larskramer View Post

would have seen over 40 from thursday arvo to monday morning mate! few big bodies animals, left them for the roar
    Woody and hotsoup like this.

Hope yis were not shooting from the carpark again and respecting other park user's .
    mawzer308, trapperjohn and Sika 8 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    Hope yis were not shooting from the carpark again and respecting other park user's .
    cool story bro, but of course we were. Why wouldnt we ? - in all honesty, no. we didnt. That happened that once time, when we were locked in the road end due the the fords being closed from flooding. only one in there, and a few wanted to check zeros on a face 300m away.

Which deer farm were you on again??

Quote Originally Posted by louiannz View Post
    Which deer farm were you on again??
    haha no deer farm, all public land up makino/middle hut area, get off the track and go for it!
    louiannz likes this.

I’m surprised the numbers were that high post 1080 drop!

Quote Originally Posted by Sika 8 View Post
    plenty about, and also good condition. none we got looked at all sick etc.

Repellent
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

The repellent was washed off within the first few days of the drop, fine spell for 10 days and then consistent big rain for well over a week, perfect storm for high deer fatalities.

On the way up to Makino hut mid October there was a dead stag just off the track that had obviously succumbed to the poison, I was with a DOC guy at the time who said it would be sampled to confirm, also a dead deer floating down the river and getting stuck at the ford on the drive in.

The repellent was washed off within the first few days of the drop, fine spell for 10 days and then consistent big rain for well over a week, perfect storm for high deer fatalities.

On the way up to Makino hut mid October there was a dead stag just off the track that had obviously succumbed to the poison, I was with a DOC guy at the time who said it would be sampled to confirm, also a dead deer floating down the river and getting stuck at the ford on the drive in.
    We found that dead stag just off the track, had a bit of rib blown out. Looks like a shot that didnt drop him on the spot. We took the head as he was a character head with a twisted face! hes on my mates garage walll now, named cletuz.

Different stag, this one was fully intact

Different stag, this one was fully intact
    I dunno, about half way from the bottom upto the clay pan at the top, on the left hand side about 2m off the track. it was bones only when we found it, and 1x rib bone had a blow out.