Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: great day bush hobbiting

great day bush hobbiting

RUMPY and myself went out for a wee wander this morning,Meg the big black bitch came along to keep us on track.
    got to hunting area right on first light.we tied boot laces and headed off up hill...barely 300 yards from leaving car I looked ahead to see young hind looking at us from under 50 yards away,I cocked rifle and put Xhairs on her...safety catch still on,flustered I sorted it and fired...clean miss AGAIN....needless to say we looked for 20 minutes and even dog wasnt really interested....useless prick she kept muttering under her breath...
    so I put rumpy on point and we carried on,Meg happy to be out n about me with tail between legs.
    along some nice grassy edge country and up wee creek we headed,RUMPY spotted yearling but was too slow on the draw....he headed off for another look for it but alas it had evaded his best efforts,so we carried on up track then up ridge...at one point I spotted movement in ferns ahead and Meg was very keen...we stalked in carefully but I think a bird must have unhooked a hooked up fern causing it to swing as nothing was spotted and our eyes were on spot as we staked in.... never mind we carried on.Dan the master ninja doing best mouse impersonations in the cornflake conditions. up up up we climbed slowly carefully...slowly looking all around,Meg was behaving really well and kept in behind me,but still let us know when nose was picking up scent.... we kept climbing slowly and I let Dan know when we in my hot zone.... been really productive spot over the years,taken a LONG time to work out how to stalk it... we carried on creeping up ridge,then up comes the trusty Ruger bolt goes down..and folks,Dan doesnt often miss,today was no exception. good solid hit on hind up ahead of us,she ran 20ish yards uphill before doing death dive in some windfall. Meg stopped on whistle and stayed with us untill released to search,took her a bit of time before finding hind,we knew where she was but its the dogs job,so we made her do it.... then sorted hind,and cup of tea..Dan makes a plurry good cuppa tea....
    leasurely butchering session...now thats always funny too as we pushing each other out of way to get on with it...no standing back with us fellas,get stuck in and get job done.Dan broke it down and I boned it out hanging quarters in handy tree to make it easier,and cleaner. no breaking plastic bags today...good old pillowcase did the job nicely.
    Dan took lions share of meat as wanted to make up batch of snags,my freezer looking healthy alread so more than happy with back steak,eye fillet and one rear legs worth... a good walk down hill and another cup of tea in creek,then another half hour spent searching for the deer I missed,just to make sure(new rifle I hadnt previously fired is my excuse and Im sticking to it)...back to car and homeward
    plurry good day out with a good mate.
    he always chips me about going too fast when stalking,and you know what?? he is plurry well right,just dont tell him I said so.
    jakewire, Tahr, rugerman and 36 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Always a good day out when hunting even if you come home empty handed. Today was better than good.

Name:  20221211_081208.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  4.71 MB

Micky ripping the guts out.
    Name:  20221211_082119.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  3.20 MB

Lunchtime
    Name:  20221211_104613.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  5.47 MB

Name:  20221211_155841.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  3.08 MB

Top effort, nice we yarn micky.
    RUMPY likes this.

Bloody good
    RUMPY likes this.

Nice one guys plenty of action and a load of meat to take home, can't ask for more than that.
    RUMPY likes this.

What's this new rifle caper?
    I'm trying to get to heaven before they shut the door.

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    What's this new rifle caper?
    a custom made 30/30 in "trustbank special" configuration(just over legal length) that Im holding onto pending transport to its new owner..bakail single .12ga conversion that has been done very very well.

Nice work lads
    RUMPY likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

That's a good mornings work, well done!
    RUMPY likes this.

Well done guys
    Since Meg found it I reckon it's her deer
    RUMPY likes this.

What I like best about posts of "this flavour" is how much one can learn, and I'm an old fart! Thanks for posting MD.
    Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Good one Mickey
    RUMPY likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    Always a good day out when hunting even if you come home empty handed. Today was better than good.

Attachment 212169

Micky ripping the guts out.
    Attachment 212170

Lunchtime
    Attachment 212171

Attachment 212172
    Please excuse my ignorance - People always say after killing an animal its best to hang the meat up somewhere cool for a day or two to set. Is breaking down the meat and piling it onto a plate in the fridge a viable way of setting the meat (like seen in the images)? Our house doesn't have room for a big chiller or any place to hang a carcass.

very viable way and it means you dont carry out all thaat heavy skin and bone to just chuck it away in otto bin.... Ive got even better method for in fridge..two plastic buckets (actually I have 2x2=4 lol) drill heap of holes through base of one bucket..10-15x10mm works ok and put that bucket inside 2nd bucket..place meat in holy bucket in the fridge and any blood n fluid drains through holes and is caught in 2nd bucket in the 15-20mm cavity between them...tip blood out and stir meat around every day for up to a week and it will be a LOT more tender come time to eat it.
    57jl and Moa Hunter like this.

Sinew side down on newspaper can work ok too if you cant hang it
    erniec likes this.