Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Guided Hunting

What defines AATH.
    Is that dropping a client and guide off on a suitable spot and then driving animals previously spotted to them with the helicopter?
    yes i have ethical issues with that but I also know people who for health/mobility reasons can't manage much more that that. Possibly they would be better served by private land hunts with good quad bike access.

As a north islander since I was 10 with limited time, if I wanted to do a south island hunt I would seriously consider hiring a guide to increase my chance of success. On top of that if I was doing a tops hunt I would want to fly in both to save time and due to fitness joint issues. I could walk in to many areas but would be buggered the next day. Then on top of that I would not be able to carry a lot of meat, skin or head etc back out.
    (i do a 250mtr climb and decent 1-2 times a week with the dog but it's not the same as a 1000mt climb with full pack and rifle etc)

having the option to be able to fly in to DOC land and take a guide for local knowledge with a party is important to me. Not fully understanding all the detail I do get the distinct feeling that some what to take away this option which in reality for me and many others is the only way we are going to get to expedience and hunt these areas.
    Zane
    mikee and timattalon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    What defines AATH.
    Is that dropping a client and guide off on a suitable spot and then driving animals previously spotted to them with the helicopter?
    yes i have ethical issues with that but I also know people who for health/mobility reasons can't manage much more that that. Possibly they would be better served by private land hunts with good quad bike access.

As a north islander since I was 10 with limited time, if I wanted to do a south island hunt I would seriously consider hiring a guide to increase my chance of success. On top of that if I was doing a tops hunt I would want to fly in both to save time and due to fitness joint issues. I could walk in to many areas but would be buggered the next day. Then on top of that I would not be able to carry a lot of meat, skin or head etc back out.
    (i do a 250mtr climb and decent 1-2 times a week with the dog but it's not the same as a 1000mt climb with full pack and rifle etc)

having the option to be able to fly in to DOC land and take a guide for local knowledge with a party is important to me. Not fully understanding all the detail I do get the distinct feeling that some what to take away this option which in reality for me and many others is the only way we are going to get to expedience and hunt these areas.
    Zane
    I dont think that a helicopter as transport into and out of the hunting area is the same as AATH. AATH is where the helicopter is used for the hunt itself so that they dont have to walk far.

As mentioned, A guide can be of great help when you are in unfamiliar territory or dont have the luxury of repeated visits to get the "local knowledge" around an area.

ZQ Lewis...any guide worth his or her weight in dried goat poohs should be able to get you an animal by working around you abilities if you give them the time to do so/work out how to do it. being dropped off/picked up isnt an issue....its the "sheep dogging" of animals into your location for you to shoot that is the fly in ointment. drop you off on a ridge area
    to camp and spend quite couple of days poking around in good areas SHOULD be able to fill your tag/freezer...no issue to then get guide to help out with recovery and call in whirly bird to scoot ya back to civy street.

as for guided hunting...no problem with it...shooting farm bred stag behind wire then spouting BS story with photos of how it was fair chase on public land isnt on...bit like buying a $2 whore then bragging about the hot chick you picked up at the pub....
    Ive shot wild stag that jumped into a LARGE deer paddock to get at hinds....when I say large picture 5-600 hectares he wasnt fighting fair and had all the hinds in his harem untill we rectified the situation and let the stations breeding programme get back on track...was it hard yakka or "hunting"??? nope harvesting pure n simple. would I pay to harvest??? if needs be yes...but as yet havent seen the need. overseas trip yes definately to gain the access and knowledge but it would be fair chase and not canned .
    mikee likes this.

Micky I think we are on the same page then.

Cheaper than a chopper flight sometimes and youre guaranteed to take home some meet so it’s a yes from me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BRADS likes this.

I looked into it for private land access for Chukar hunting. I could take a month off, head down south with a bunch of dogs and start from scratch on public land, looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack, or I could just pay for guided access on private land and better utilize my time and be amongst the action straight away on a species I have no experience hunting. It's a no-brainer.

As for shooting behind the wire animals, it's not for me. Would happily pay for genuine free range access to something I can't readily find.

Anyone know of any blocks incould pay for access and hunt respectfully with there rules but not be guided? Or maybe guided the first time? Cheers