Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Hand held gps

Been using Garmin Oregon 550 for the last 5 years - extremely satisfied!
    Looking into buying a newer version (650) as well.
    Always have a set of spare rechargeable AA batteries and you're good for a couple of days hunting.

Rhino looks good but havevto use proprietary battery. Cant carry a bunch of AAs if on a long trip. Same screen size as my dakota 20. Garmin touch screens are the way to go and with NZGPS forum maps you can use it as a Car GPS too.

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    Rhino looks good but havevto use proprietary battery. Cant carry a bunch of AAs if on a long trip. Same screen size as my dakota 20. Garmin touch screens are the way to go and with NZGPS forum maps you can use it as a Car GPS too.
    you can get a AA battery pack for the rhino.

I think the saying rhino is the future is a bit of a stretch, they are clunky heavy units, old school soft touch screen, shitty display. Actually all dedicated GPS have a seriously shitty display, i cant believe they havent gone to a better LED screen like any $100 smartphone has. My rhino battery lasts for a week easy if you only use it when you actually want to see where you are or for short periods lke 20min at a time to mark a tricky spot. If you leave it on all day the battery will be dead in 1.5 days. The radio is a good but i dont actually use it much.

I reckon the future of the gps is a phone that has a better in built gps locater. That way it would act as my GPS, camera, torch when required and be smaller/lighter. I still carry my phone as well as my rhino at the moment so would save some clutter

My phone wouldn't last a day.

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    My phone wouldn't last a day.
    Really? Mine lasts 5 plus if just using it for a camera and clock/torch. Airplane mode on. Iphone 6. If it was a using its GPS function it would chew the batt a lot quicker but i wouldnt be walking around with it on all the time

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    If you still have reception your not doing it right  or cant bare to miss a drama update from the mrs
    +1 battery life fine and the aa packs available

The touch screen i like as its responsive with gloves on which is a worth while point as cell phone displays dont tend to be
    Addicted to gun powder

Quote Originally Posted by rogers.270 View Post
    If you still have reception your not doing it right �� or cant bare to miss a drama update from the mrs
    who said anything about reception? you do know you can use the gps function in the phone....

End of the day ive had a 62s, Rhino and have had a play using the phone. I would call it a tie between the 62s and rhino, rhino has more features but is huge, 62s is slightly more compact and does a good job as a gps. My phone doesnt quite cut it yet but i havent mastered using its full potential i dont think

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    I dont seem to get reliable usability out of it unless data is on to me its a knovelty. I figure only real functionality would be in advanced areas like the usa. That said i may not be set up right. I suprised it actually gets used

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Really? Mine lasts 5 plus if just using it for a camera and clock/torch. Airplane mode on. Iphone 6. If it was a using its GPS function it would chew the batt a lot quicker but i wouldnt be walking around with it on all the time
    +1

I use my Sony android phone more than the Garmin GPS. Turn on flight mode (turns off cellular network) and the GPS still works. Just turn the GPS on when you want to mark a point of interest of check the map. Lasts about a week in this mode.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

How are you guys finding satellite lock in dense cover when using a phone?
    I find my 62s locks in very fast when I switch it on with clear sky view, but if I switch on indoors and then go out, it sometimes struggles to find a lock.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

The phone is a bit slow but I normally need the breather anyway.
    Pengy likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I've been using a Garmin eTrex20 for the past few years and it's been great. Locks on to the Russian satellites as well as the normal US ones as well and gets a quick fix. Works amazing well under heavy bush cover. I just turn it on, get a lock, place it in my pocket and head off hunting. I use good AA batteries and get a good run out of the device (just carry a spare set). Have even been able to back track and relocate my best hunting cap I lost crawling through thick scrub on more than one occasion. I also download tracks onto my computer and plot on google earth. You can see all the places you walked and hunted. Sometimes I also mark waypoints where I see lots of sign. There not as easy and intuitive to use as smart phone and have a small screen but are still a great little unit and gives you much more confidence when hunting new country in the bush off the beaten track. Still always take a compas and make mental notes of where I am hunting. Wouldn't hunt without one now except in areas I know very well.