Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Heartfelt thoughts over a beer

Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post
    Yep really enjoy the heart. Not so much of a fan of kidneys and liver, though I do feel like I should figure out a good way to make use of them.
    Liver, onions, sherry and a few herbs in the blender is the start of a nice pate.
    When we farmed rabbits it was a weekly feed for us.
    RV1 likes this.

I have tried my best to like heart but it just seems to make my stomach turn over for some reason. Any alternative recipes to good ol' fried with butter and garlic/onions that I should try? Always seems a waste to leave it behind.
    trapperjohn and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mopheadrob View Post
    I have tried my best to like heart but it just seems to make my stomach turn over for some reason. Any alternative recipes to good ol' fried with butter and garlic/onions that I should try? Always seems a waste to leave it behind.
    add mushrooms and cream and reduce it down, a splash of Jack Daniels doesn't hurt either, by the time mine is done it kinda resembles a strogganoff type of consistency and appearance. Super good with a bit of rice or pasta
    mopheadrob, trapperjohn and RV1 like this.
    #DANNYCENT

A larger heart, Ox etc, clean out the inside, stuffed and roasted, even my wife will eat that. Otherwise remove all the membrane etc from the inside, thinly sliced and fried til just cooked and super soft. thin slices on a stick in the fire when camping, yep.
    Liver, thinly sliced, dusted in flour and a quick fry in butter. It is really easy to overcook liver and then it gets a very metallic flavour.
    Kidneys fried with onions mushrooms and courgettes, on toast is divine.
    Brains or sweetbreads diced and in a pattie with onions and sweetcorn, shallow fried in the frypan. yes please.
    The tongue needs to be pickled and is one of the nicest cold meats in a sammie..
    Tripe, you can keep that though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    A larger heart, Ox etc, clean out the inside, stuffed and roasted, even my wife will eat that. Otherwise remove all the membrane etc from the inside, thinly sliced and fried til just cooked and super soft. thin slices on a stick in the fire when camping, yep.
    Liver, thinly sliced, dusted in flour and a quick fry in butter. It is really easy to overcook liver and then it gets a very metallic flavour.
    Kidneys fried with onions mushrooms and courgettes, on toast is divine.
    Brains or sweetbreads diced and in a pattie with onions and sweetcorn, shallow fried in the frypan. yes please.
    The tongue needs to be pickled and is one of the nicest cold meats in a sammie..
    Tripe, you can keep that though.
    +1

As above liver is really easy to overcook, just a quick sear on each side is enough. Should be still slightly pink in the middle. If grey it is like eating Jandals
    Micky Duck, Ned, RV1 and 1 others like this.

The tongue is worth a go as well,boiled.Cold sliced on bread with hot mustard.
    Last edited by rewd; 07-07-2023 at 03:04 AM.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Ticker.....mmmm yum

Try leaving out the garlic and onions.
    Fry and add salt.
    I like onions but they set my guts off too.
    Anyone in our camp who leaves the heart behind gets reprimanded.
    Micky Duck and RV1 like this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Quote Originally Posted by rewd View Post
    The tongue is worth a go as well,boiled.Cold sliced on bread with hot mustard.
    Sliced and fried is good too.
    30.06king likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

chuck it in the casserole or mince.....its not wasted then.
    dannyb and 30.06king like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I've converted a few mates to veni heart (despite initial protests) while hunting. Nothing like it at the end of the day, butter in a frying pan on the camp fire. I take as much meat as I can, flaps,neck meat, offcuts, including the heart, tounge and if I can recover it the liver. Any meat offcuts or discards gets put in meal serves on baking paper into the freezer for the pup. Started taking full shoulder and legs (bone in) out so I can leave on the bone in the fridge, then all bones saved for pup tooth care. Love it.
    Micky Duck, RV1 and Jus like this.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

I am pleased so many like it - the 5 years I spent with Forest Service not one of us ever cooked heart or liver despite living on venison basically every day - not one of us ate offal ever - so it is suprising many on here like it - well you can have it - no just dont like it

I enjoy eating heart , and have made venny liver pate a couple of times which is very yum. dosnt last long around here.
    Ned likes this.

Dude, Veni heart, Lamb heart, all good.
    Slice into strips, fry in butter, maybe some onions and an egg, heaven.
    One of my favorite meals as a kid was stuffed and roasted mutton heart.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    I am pleased so many like it - the 5 years I spent with Forest Service not one of us ever cooked heart or liver despite living on venison basically every day - not one of us ate offal ever - so it is suprising many on here like it - well you can have it - no just dont like it
    interestingly Barry..there are more than a few on here (myself definately NOT included) who dont take out the tenderloins/ribeye steaks ......to me thats almost sacrilege
    keneff, Finnwolf, RV1 and 2 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters