Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree217Likes

Thread: Help Stop 1080, please sign

This is an aside (not really 1080 discussion but related). One of the groups I work with is trialing a prototype trap or maybe it's a pre production trap that is self setting and be capable of 100 kills from install and no other maintenance. I've helped to set it up and it's proving a winner so far, operating as claimed and killed a half dozen possums in a short period without issue. We've a trail camera on it and will look at the footage next week.

I'm thinking that this is the probably the sort of level of trap development and sophistication we need to be operating at to negate the use of 1080. From memory the cost is about $350.
    kiwijames and Steve123 like this.

Well the GMO option is out for now.
    I can't see an alternative to 1080 until we find a GM way to reduce the possum and rodent populations.
    will be interesting, greens have put a hard stop on even GM research into finding alternatives.
    Then we will have to battle to stop the equivalent for deer, tahr & goats, as well. Would think pigs will probably have enough support as a food souce they won't be hit.
    Z

DoC can call them what they like, but they are the creators of legislation.
    More meplat, more better.

as long as there are humans there will be rats and other rodents its inescapable and thats why we will never be pest free. all the pest free islands are so because no-one lives on them....all it takes is a boat to go past with rats on board and bang rats again dont even have to land on the island rats are good swimmers . nature will dictate rat population if food source is plentiful then they will have a population explosion if theres a lot less food they will not have as many offspring... they can blame the once in a lifetime beech masts we have each year but if its not that it will be something else blame the cities and their dwellers for having so much waste thats where it all starts ... then if we do get all the native birds back in the numbers they used to be before i was born........the rat population will explode once again because the food source has recovered.......
    guess my point is rat free NZ is impossible and those who sign off on the legislation to bring it about are clueless and maybe spent too much time on the electric puha when they were at uni
    veitnamcam, tetawa and Moa Hunter like this.

A lot of people are forgetting that there is a solid market for possum skins, fur and meat. That’s a cost effective way of killing possums, encouraging hunters to get out there and kill them, in a perfect world they would get X amount for say, the tips of the ears as a an incentive. I sure that if that occurred there would be more people out there killing them. If i was doing that and the gov/doc gave me some rat poison or whatever to kill rats/stoats etc I’d do my bit and put it out. Just my thoughts on a touchy subject and before you haters go on about not being able to do it in rough country, ZIP has put lines all through the Perth valley as part of their so called new approach

Quote Originally Posted by tanqueray View Post
    DoC can call them what they like, but they are the creators of legislation.
    Did you mean "not" the creators of legislation (because Government was)?

DOC can say what they like in their publications, but are bound by the provisions of the Wildlife Control Act (notwithstanding that they are the administrators of it).
    A330driver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Did you mean "not" the creators of legislation (because Government was)?

DOC can say what they like in their publications, but are bound by the provisions of the Wildlife Control Act (notwithstanding that they are the administrators of it).
    I did intend to say “not”, a critical word to miss!
    Cyclops likes this.
    More meplat, more better.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    as long as there are humans there will be rats and other rodents its inescapable and thats why we will never be pest free. all the pest free islands are so because no-one lives on them....all it takes is a boat to go past with rats on board and bang rats again dont even have to land on the island rats are good swimmers . nature will dictate rat population if food source is plentiful then they will have a population explosion if theres a lot less food they will not have as many offspring... they can blame the once in a lifetime beech masts we have each year but if its not that it will be something else blame the cities and their dwellers for having so much waste thats where it all starts ... then if we do get all the native birds back in the numbers they used to be before i was born........the rat population will explode once again because the food source has recovered.......
    guess my point is rat free NZ is impossible and those who sign off on the legislation to bring it about are clueless and maybe spent too much time on the electric puha when they were at uni
    All of the cities in Alberta Canada are rat free.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    This is an aside (not really 1080 discussion but related). One of the groups I work with is trialing a prototype trap or maybe it's a pre production trap that is self setting and be capable of 100 kills from install and no other maintenance. I've helped to set it up and it's proving a winner so far, operating as claimed and killed a half dozen possums in a short period without issue. We've a trail camera on it and will look at the footage next week.

I'm thinking that this is the probably the sort of level of trap development and sophistication we need to be operating at to negate the use of 1080. From memory the cost is about $350.
    Bing, that sounds promising ah? It would be interesting to see some of the footage from your trail camera if it could be uploaded.
    Strummer likes this.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Browning View Post
    Bing, that sounds promising ah? It would be interesting to see some of the footage from your trail camera if it could be uploaded.
    If I'm able to will be glad to. It's a community based non profit group so everything has to go past committee and be approved etc. If they give the ok then no problem.
    Mr Browning likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    If I'm able to will be glad to. It's a community based non profit group so everything has to go past committee and be approved etc. If they give the ok then no problem.
    Sounds like the AT220: https://nzautotraps.com/

The use of photoeyes (infra-red beam) on the one that can do mice seems dangerous for non-targets.

Looks promising otherwise - I see several potential issues that might be exposed quickly such as the radius of the corners of the enclosure being to sharp - needs to be a smoother radius too prevent rats chewing them open (smoother than a rats mouth gape can grab onto). A rat/several rats could get into it and destroy the wiring very quickly.
    The pull type trigger might be a barrier to efficient control of rats as it can be variable whether they will do this. While the AT220 doesn't seem to be targeted for the stoats I would be as bold to say that they would not set off such a trigger. Bait life will also be an issue - I've informally tested "long-life" baits that are supposed to last for months that have no smell after days - Suspicious at best on their long-term efficacy.

Some learnings from the Goodnature A12 and A24 traps (CO2 self resetting possums and rat/stoat traps) could be transferred to speed up development it seems.
    Last edited by Makros; 01-07-2019 at 08:53 PM.
    Wirehunt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    Sounds like the AT220: https://nzautotraps.com/

The use of photoeyes (infra-red beam) on the one that can do mice seems dangerous for non-targets.

Looks promising otherwise - I see several potential issues that might be exposed quickly such as the radius of the corners of the enclosure being to sharp - needs to be a smoother radius too prevent rats chewing them open (smoother than a rats mouth gape can grab onto). A rat/several rats could get into it and destroy the wiring very quickly.
    The pull type trigger might be a barrier to efficient control of rats as it can be variable whether they will do this. While the AT220 doesn't seem to be targeted for the stoats I would be as bold to say that they would not set off such a trigger. Bait life will also be an issue - I've informally tested "long-life" baits that are supposed to last for months that have no smell after days - Suspicious at best on their long-term efficacy.

Some learnings from the Goodnature A12 and A24 traps (CO2 self resetting possums and rat/stoat traps) could be transferred to speed up development it seems.
    I think DOC should invest in some and see how effective they are. Clearly Twig and Tweet are pushing the govt to increase the 1080 use.

While DOC is "going to do a million hectares of aerial pest control, which is more than ever before", Forest and Bird is now calling for the Government to increase its rat control programmes.
    https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...7oD_RdLzdxCXDk

Maybe they could use some of the 11 million in protection money the govt gave them to actually do something.
    Steve123 likes this.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Bus driver
    Quote..’Maybe they could use some of the 11 million in protection money the govt gave them to actually do something”

Ahhhh...sorry mate,cannot do.....that money has now been directed,avenued,appropriated to the “Firearm thievery programme”the govt is supposedly running and has a grasp of!!!
    tetawa likes this.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

For every argument against, it seems there is an argument for...

https://i.stuff.co.nz/environment/11...e-1080-funding

I live on a bush block that is very close to the Richmond ranges, and has a lot of Beech.
    Been here five years and still not seen evidence of either the claimed "super masts" or indeed the hoards of rats.
    No trapping etc on mine or neighbouring blocks, and the birdlife is a something that all visors comment on
    Wirehunt, veitnamcam and scotty like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1