Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Hindquarter carry

I have to ask Nathan F what the hell did ya hit that deer with - 12 gauge solid - 50 cal ?? impressive hole -

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    I have to ask Nathan F what the hell did ya hit that deer with - 12 gauge solid - 50 cal ?? impressive hole -
    Haha nah Barry just the good old 708. That’s a 140gn nosler ballistic tip travelling at 2580 fps from about 20 metres. It was dead ☠️ n arrival mate

If small deer and not far to the car I use the carry belt method,just gut and head off then able to hang deer to tenderise.,clean way to carry as well no blood down the back.
    Ross Nolan and Micky Duck like this.

just changing the subject slightly why is that watching hunting programs such as hunting Aotearoa ( well they call it hunting more like armed tramping) do they persist in gutting deer (and pigs )backwoods -they open up the gut by cutting from groin back to brisket - its a bloody dumb way of doing it -the gut bag is falling back towards you- start at brisket and then put knife between two fingers and run towards groin- fingers keep blade away from gut bag - much cleaner easier - and no risk of knicking bladder - once open I roll gut bag out- hold stomach flap open - then I do one side of diaphragm -roll deer over the gut bag to expose the other side of diaphragm and do the other side - already opened front end - grab a hold up past heart and pull - easy peasy - and then don't get me started on idiots carrying deer out with head on -why carry kilos of what ? dog tucker -I can understand getting a stag out whole if you want to do a headskin later - but a hind dumb dumb dumb

I should add to my post about gutting - open deer up from brisket to groin if you are gutting on the ground - obviously if you had it hung it up it would be the other way around

I open up gut that way because I always have....and I use the knife tip between finger tips...havent nicked a gut bag in years...... like animal head down hill to start with and head uphill to help empty it out.... carry out whole with head on....yeah its one of them things...pigs are even worse,have to be like that for compititions and the macho photos.... I will happily break them down and bone out UNLESS going to singe them....
    Nathan F likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    I should add to my post about gutting - open deer up from brisket to groin if you are gutting on the ground - obviously if you had it hung it up it would be the other way around
    Deer and pigs are much faster and cleaner to skin hung up from the head ( or neck ) than by the ham strings. Esp. if the skin is split down the spine and pulled off in two halves. Better meat quality for the hung carcass too, because the leg muscles are not stretched and held under tension.