Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Hunting traditions elsewhere in the world

Hunting traditions elsewhere in the world

Licenced harvest in Florida. Unlike our DoC, this is practical wild animal management.
    https://www.winknews.com/2022/08/14/...ins-on-monday/
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

MB
    I like it, but can you imagine a tag system working here? People are too feral and no infrastructure (or will) for enforcement.

DoC and regional councils need to address game animals as having a value. Apply that principle and proper management structure will follow; just like fishing quota.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

In a country that runs a tag system a lot of the enforcement comes from the local hunters, hunters that tow the line and go by the rules will be quick to pass on relevant information to the officials of law breakers. At the end of the day by poaching you are taking away the chances of law abiding hunters of taking game so it doesn't go down well with them.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Also need to remember most of the game animals in North America are native species, unlike here.
    techno retard likes this.

Game animal management in NZ needs to be based around reducing numbers (in most cases) whereas in the USA it is around maintaining numbers. Bit of a different situation.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

First Nation people have the rights to hunt to gather food much like the Maori have here in NZ. For the general public tags are required. Overall the system works well. As stated their animals are native to the country unlike ours and other factors come into play like a serve winter could reduce deer populations by50plus % so a close eye on populations is needed. If there counts show lower than normal animals in the spring they would then adjust seasons or have none at all to protect the species.
    Good management. NZ is different as we don't have predators (other than man) or such serve weather to cause populations to fall to low levels and as stated our management is more needed to target growing numbers not the reverse.
    During hunting season Conservation officers with Police will road block back roads and check all vehicles and hunters to make sure they are following the rules, will be over there in about 3 weeks and be out for a hunt for Elk on the 10th Sept, my son and both grandsons have there hunting licences so Elk tags will be in there pockets along with Mulies and Whitetail maybe a few more.
    stingray, Shearer and Micky Duck like this.

Precedents for game management have existed in NZ for decades. E.g. ducks swan, pukeko, paradise shelduck, and introduced trout and salmon, chukar, quail and pheasant as some examples
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Just finished reading a very enjoyable book. 'A Good Man With A Dog ,; A Game Wardens 25 Years in The Maine Woods' by Kate Clark Flora and Roger Guam. Blew me away how different things are done there. Whole different scene as others have described.

As was pointed out above, there is no desire from the government or the average New Zealander to increase numbers or herd quality. We are in a country where almost everything worth shooting and eating is a feral species and the government is under pressure to reduce their numbers. A fair portion of those in government want them outright eliminated, not just reduced.

Taking money from hunters (which deters hunting and increases herd numbers) and then giving that money to the government who are under pressure to reduce (not manage) deer numbers does not seem like it would have a beneficial result for me as a recreational hunter.

I can imagine a tag system working in Australia with Kangaroos, wallabies and Emu. Here, I struggle to think of a species where it would other than ducks and maybe pukeko.

Not nescesarily money to the government. The NZ Wildlife service now Fish and Game is funded by hunters and fishermen and managed by their elected reprentatives. Unlike DoC which is funded by government the Fish and Game is funded by hunters and fishermen and manages their funds independently of government whilst applying the regulations of The Wildlife Act.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    You lucky bugger. Good luck with tags.
    It's a bit of a kick in the teeth for the tag holders when they are at a road block getting checked and the others are cruising through with a pick up load of spot lighted animals.
    Yes it is but it is the way, to be honest that type of hunting doesn’t seem to happen in the area my son hunts, he also still has access to the property he worked on for over 20 years which is good. As for the tags they are over the counter ones he missed out on all the limited entry draws he put in for again.

I enjoy to watch the TV episodes "Swamp People" , it `s telling the life of being commercial alligator hunter in Louisiana U.S.A, and I learned tag system from it. It seemed those local people depend everything on alligators, and everything was built for catch alligators. Not an easy job, two man/ woman on a small boat, the size like put two kayak together, use rusty .22 to kill on hooked alligators and bring it onboard, and those hunters were always facing difficulty of finding an assistant to work the whole season since this is two man job. my favorite hunter is Troy Landry, never give up or giving in.

Name:  Swamp_People_Serpent_Invasion_Cast_Troy_Landry.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  62.4 KB
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Yes it is but it is the way, to be honest that type of hunting doesn’t seem to happen in the area my son hunts, he also still has access to the property he worked on for over 20 years which is good. As for the tags they are over the counter ones he missed out on all the limited entry draws he put in for again.
    Where are you heading, Colorado? I'll be elk and deer hunting in Sept too but in Montana and Idaho.

When I was in South East Asia, I came across two hunters in the Limestone Karst mountains, on part of the Viet Nam/Laos border.

They had guns, that to my untrained eye, were flintlocks, with barrels about 6 feet long, longer than they were tall.

They let me look at their harvest, a giant flying squirrel that was the size of a cat. Beautiful red, russet, black and cream fur.

But about as much meat as a rabbit. Skinny thing.
    paremata and XR500 like this.