Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Hunting traditions elsewhere in the world

Quote Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
    When I was in South East Asia, I came across two hunters in the Limestone Karst mountains, on part of the Viet Nam/Laos border.

They had guns, that to my untrained eye, were flintlocks, with barrels about 6 feet long, longer than they were tall.

They let me look at their harvest, a giant flying squirrel that was the size of a cat. Beautiful red, russet, black and cream fur.

But about as much meat as a rabbit. Skinny thing.
    That gun was pure made by hands, even the barrel sometimes was using Bamboo instead of steel.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

A few years ago I was fortunate to take part in a driven hunt in a forest in Germany. As a driver.. not a shooter. It was quite an experience. Part of their forest/herd management. Quite a few little handbag roe deer shot and about 6 BIG pigs. Afterwards everyone meets at the hunting lodge for a bbq and some Jägermeister. Jägermeister translates roughly to 'hunt master'. The small wording around the label on a bottle is the 'hunters creed'. Google the translation. They had hunting outfits, trumpets and stuff. I got some nice photos and a video somewhere.
    Black Rabbit likes this.

Everyone has the same moral right to hunt and gather food here in NZ. Regardless of race or ethnicity. Give nothing to racism.
    Black Rabbit likes this.

When I was in South East Asia, I came across two hunters in the Limestone Karst mountains, on part of the Viet Nam/Laos border.

They had guns, that to my untrained eye, were flintlocks, with barrels about 6 feet long, longer than they were tall.

They let me look at their harvest, a giant flying squirrel that was the size of a cat. Beautiful red, russet, black and cream fur.

Yep - and quite a lot of that Asian 'exotic live harvest' ends up in Chinese/Vietnamese/Etc. animal markets, and thence is enjoyed by all of us around the world as a pandemic animal to human virus.

My point being that, given the thrust of this thread, there ain't no controls on hunting whatever you like in Asia, and look where that has got us!

Working on the pheasant drives is how us poor country kids made pocket money in England, following the fox hunters on our bikes was just for fun and to watch the rich huntsmen on their horses to see if any would fall off pissed or also following the hare huntsmen dressed the same as the fox hunters but who didn't use horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    First Nation people have the rights to hunt to gather food much like the Maori have here in NZ. For the general public tags are required. Overall the system works well. As stated their animals are native to the country unlike ours and other factors come into play like a serve winter could reduce deer populations by50plus % so a close eye on populations is needed. If there counts show lower than normal animals in the spring they would then adjust seasons or have none at all to protect the species.
    Good management. NZ is different as we don't have predators (other than man) or such serve weather to cause populations to fall to low levels and as stated our management is more needed to target growing numbers not the reverse.
    During hunting season Conservation officers with Police will road block back roads and check all vehicles and hunters to make sure they are following the rules, will be over there in about 3 weeks and be out for a hunt for Elk on the 10th Sept, my son and both grandsons have there hunting licences so Elk tags will be in there pockets along with Mulies and Whitetail maybe a few more.

Hey Mooseman - I'm guessing you probably use your son's rifles to shoot in North America, but with the state of the world and all the restrictions is it still practical to take your own firearms overseas for Elk hunting etc?

Although I have done so with guided hunting, for some deep-set reason I don't like using other's rifles to hunt - its just not the same.

Maybe its just me?

Yep, in the late 1990's I was in the back blocks of Laos and saw those. Was able to approach them and have a good look at them. All pure home made caplocks made from heavy walled water pipe. Some door handle architecture fashioned into a spring and trigger, wooden stock, lots of string to bind them together, cap gun caps used to initiate. Black powder home made, even to the extent of extracting the Pot Nitrate from the dirt underneath a pile of old animal carcass bits (put aside for just such a task). Shot for the monkeys @25m was just road gravel held in place with paper. It worked is all you can say. These guys were skinny as a rake, and protein was hard to come by in those mountains. So illegal or not, when needs must people can build guns to keep themselves fed, no matter how draconian the Govt.
    Last edited by XR500; 24-08-2022 at 08:09 PM.
    Copelli likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cb14 View Post
    Where are you heading, Colorado? I'll be elk and deer hunting in Sept too but in Montana and Idaho.
    British Columbia in the Okanagan Valley. We will hunt around Princeton / Penticton.

Quote Originally Posted by Copelli View Post
    Hey Mooseman - I'm guessing you probably use your son's rifles to shoot in North America, but with the state of the world and all the restrictions is it still practical to take your own firearms overseas for Elk hunting etc?

Although I have done so with guided hunting, for some deep-set reason I don't like using other's rifles to hunt - its just not the same.

Maybe its just me?
    If I get to pull the trigger it will be with one of his rifles as it's easier to travel without firearms. When I hunted Alaska for my moose I had applied for a permit to bring my 338 but was declined as I didn't have a current Hunting licence in my paperwork, I had been advised to buy the licence from my outfitter on arrival in Talkeetna. As it turned out I borrowed a Ruger 338 Win Mag from one of the guides and shot my moose with it, it would have been nice to use my own rifle though.

Quote Originally Posted by Copelli View Post

Maybe its just me?
    I took my rifle to USA a couple of years ago. If you have both the USA and NZ paper work its a bit of a hassle but doable. I got the paperwork again this year but decided to take my bow so its not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Stalker View Post
    A few years ago I was fortunate to take part in a driven hunt in a forest in Germany. As a driver.. not a shooter. It was quite an experience. Part of their forest/herd management. Quite a few little handbag roe deer shot and about 6 BIG pigs. Afterwards everyone meets at the hunting lodge for a bbq and some Jägermeister. Jägermeister translates roughly to 'hunt master'. The small wording around the label on a bottle is the 'hunters creed'. Google the translation. They had hunting outfits, trumpets and stuff. I got some nice photos and a video somewhere.
    I like Germans, has worked with them for few years. My boss was not a outdoor kind, but a shooting guy and pilot, he said he got special permit of carrying conceal pistol. On weekend, at train station there were many people with big backpack and gears ready to go into the mountains. It seemed, those trains could take them to everywhere. 8 years ago, I thought about moving Germany, but to learn another language at age 40 would be painful for me.
    Copelli likes this.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Bush Stalker View Post
    Everyone has the same moral right to hunt and gather food here in NZ. Regardless of race or ethnicity. Give nothing to racism.
    Nice ideal, but not true. Customary take? Te Urewera?

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Fog View Post
    ...now ive been here longer than you been on earth ...
    You sure about that?
    And if so, how do you know how old I am?
    Are you stalking me?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Fog View Post
    my passport no starts with RA, now ive been here longer than you been on earth and ive become a naturalized citizen yet im deemed a resident alien, but would my children still have RA passport?
    taking this to a long conclusion these animals(we are animals too) are born here so actually native
    I don't think the RA prefix on your passport number means Resident Alien as my wife's passport also has RA and she is 6th generation NZ. Mine is LL so it is just an alpha/numeric sequence.