Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: How Americans think we hunt

MSL
    What a fucking joke

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i had relatives from the wifes family come visit from arkansas, they coulnt believe we "bush bashed" to go hunting. they sit in tree stands with a thermos and food until bambi appears, shoot it then truck it home on a quad bike.
    i took one of them out for a farm shoot for a few bunnies and he was knackered after 30 minutes
    Where I hunt over here tree stand is the only way... but I only hunt archery from a tree stand to make it a challenge.

When I fill my rifle tags I just meat hunt- yearlings only and try get as close to the Chevrolet tree stand as possible. It's not very sporting but we can only hunt 10 days a year.

It's easy to criticize that style of hunting but I know plenty of kiwis that shoot deer from behind a spotlight and pull the hilux right too it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Tuidog, 260hunter, erniec and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by .22-250 everything View Post
    Where I hunt over here tree stand is the only way... but I only hunt archery from a tree stand to make it a challenge.

When I fill my rifle tags I just meat hunt- yearlings only and try get as close to the Chevrolet tree stand as possible. It's not very sporting but we can only hunt 10 days a year.

It's easy to criticize that style of hunting but I know plenty of kiwis that shoot deer from behind a spotlight and pull the hilux right too it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    it was not meant to be a derogatory comment, i used a stand once in ohio using a black powder rifle. the point i was trying to make is that hunting varies from country to country. but many hunting tourists think its going to be the same as where they are from and are completely unprepared for the conditions here. i met one guy 1/2 way up in the kaikoura ranges wearing running shoes, carrying a massive pack full of soft drinks etc who was a recipe for disaster

Lets face it, how many of you would turn down a hunt like that if I offered it to you for free?

Those Yanks have the money, are in NZ for a short time, go home and tell everyone they know that NZ is the best country in the world. Oh and a pilot and a good kiwi bloke are making a living to provide for their families.
    Savage1, 260hunter, stumpy and 2 others like this.

Mate, "Imagine walking into that place"

Yeah imagine...just imagine...

puku, veitnamcam, Pointer and 10 others like this.

northdude
    even trying to imagine it would make a lot of them tired

Hmmmm......I spouse whatever floats your boat......but I bet the trophy won't mean as much and the meat won't be as sweet as if you worked for it.....bit like buying a head off eBay after a scenic flight
    223nut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crwadj View Post
    Lets face it, how many of you would turn down a hunt like that if I offered it to you for free?

I would, and have turned down similar opportunities. It has about the same appeal as shooting an 18 point farm raised stag behind the wire. I would be to embarrassed and ashamed of myself to have any part of either.
    veitnamcam, Munsey, tetawa and 4 others like this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

For an overseas tourist it is great value for money coming here and shoot a stag, tahr, chamois five to 30 minutes after getting out of a chopper and back to the bar by noon planing the next trip. Some don't have the time like us kiwis or the will to hunt as our fathers and grandfathers did before the invention of the helicopter.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    For an overseas tourist it is great value for money coming here and shoot a stag, tahr, chamois five to 30 minutes after getting out of a chopper and back to the bar by noon planing the next trip. Some don't have the time like us kiwis or the will to hunt as our fathers and grandfathers did before the invention of the helicopter.
    I guess as long as they acknowledge it wasn't a real hunt that's all cool. But if they take a photo facing away from the helicopter, then enter that head into an sci record book trophy register as fair chase...then yeah/nah that's not cool.

R93
    SCI books and our own books are filled with heads taken this way.

Credibility can be weighed up when you see the shape and dress of the hunter in most cases.

60 yr old fat fucks don't get around thar and chamois country that easily😆

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    kimjon, oneipete and 223nut like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    SCI books and our own books are filled with heads taken this way.

Credibility can be weighed up when you see the shape and dress of the hunter in most cases.

60 yr old fat fucks don't get around thar and chamois country that easily😆

You've obviously not been on one of the Forum Old Farts Hunts then... ;-)

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    You've obviously not been on one of the Forum Old Farts Hunts then... ;-)
    No I havent and dont expect to be qualified to attend one for a while yet.

Most Kiwi fat fucks that hunt are a different breed and have a willing mindset fuelled by beer anyway.

BRADS, Gibo and shift14 like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Now hang on there a minute mate, I know I make my own brew that brews a lot of gas but hunting the kiwi way is about getting out into the bush for a few days with camp fire, steak, eggs and a bit of hunting. I would love to fly in to a hut for a backblocks hunt, no go in the alps but a bit of bush deer bashing would be the go. I`v just turned a young 74 and still keen.
    puku, Brian, alcesgigas and 3 others like this.

Good on the bloke for getting out there with his family! Good on the outfit for putting it all together, seems a well run, slick operation.
    260hunter likes this.