Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: How Busy is Oamaru Hut, Doc land March

thanks for the info guys. 2 of us could cope with the up and over Te Iringa but last time we did an 18km day the next day we were too buggered to do more than 3km and park up and wait every 500mtr. Our 3rd member would not make currently..
    Z

Fly into Ngawaaparua Hut, good fishing and as long as the crunchy cornflakes underfoot have had some rain good hunting....
    Ruger7mm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    I would do end of February and you would most likely have very few hunters there.

Shot my first Sika hind not far from the hut in 2014, 6th February at 4.31pm at 764m elevation to be exact!
    Can you be a bit more precise thanks.
    tetawa, Rusky and Micky Duck like this.

Thanks for all the feed back. Decision has been made.
    Just telling you all so everyone knows the spot is being hunted and we don't get unexpected company. ( I know but hey, we can wish anyway)

Going to head up Te Iringa track and camp at the old hut clearing. Hopefully we can drop down and find water or I will have to make 1-2ltr go a long way.
    Going in this Friday evening 25th Feb. See that we have a bit of a cold snap coming though this Wednesday. Thursday. This week.

Those old clearings to the west look well grown over now so I think I can leave the bino's at home as well. Not much use in the Bush.
    Z
    RugerM77 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    Thanks for all the feed back. Decision has been made.
    Just telling you all so everyone knows the spot is being hunted and we don't get unexpected company. ( I know but hey, we can wish anyway)

Going to head up Te Iringa track and camp at the old hut clearing. Hopefully we can drop down and find water or I will have to make 1-2ltr go a long way.
    Going in this Friday evening 25th Feb. See that we have a bit of a cold snap coming though this Wednesday. Thursday. This week.

Those old clearings to the west look well grown over now so I think I can leave the bino's at home as well. Not much use in the Bush.
    Z
    good stuff mate slow and steady, can find drinkable water is most gullys easy enough no need to drop to the river level

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    You’d be surprised how useful Binos are in the bush, a lower powered pair like 8x can come in pretty handy
    Very much so. Helps you see "through" the bush.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Well Thanks everyone, had an awesome weekend in some new bush and caught up with a couple of mates.
    2 of us walked up to Te Iringa old hut site on friday evening. Set up camp and had a quick look down the track so see what it looked like that way.
    Was a bit cold that first night.
    Saturday morning we headed off SE down the track a little way and then headed off down that spur to the west dropping into each of the little north facing guts and continuing west dropping elevation then circled back Nth east at a lower level then climbed up the head of the creek and back over the ridge to the track and back to camp. about 7.7km in 7.7 hours, some of it on hands and knees. Up on the spur it was quite open but as soon as you dropped off it got very tight and lots of windfall, some bush lawyer and pepper wood thickets plus everything was rotten. High altitude stunted beech forest.
    We spooked a couple as we were dropping into the second creek/gut and another couple as we got towards the saddle on the spur before dropping elevation and heading back.
    Coming back up I was a bit above my mate just over the ridge and a spooked hind ran down hill past him just getting a look at it ass as it disappeared.
    That was us about shagged for the day.
    Both nights we got Whistled at in the tent during the early hours of the morning.
    Next Morning we just did a short 2 hour walk, mostly just in to one side of a small basin with sight lines across 50-100 mtr to a some well grazed slopes on the south side of the spur that we had not been into the previous day. It had got quite windy and the wind was swirling in from all directions so that was a good excuse to head back to camp and see our friends who had come up for the night, break camp and walk back down.

So no deer this time but a nice spot I would go back to.
    Cheer's
    Z
    tetawa, Rusky, Danny and 3 others like this.

MSL
    Most of the windfall will be from the massive snowfall in 2016. I walked/climbed into makino hut that October, took twice as long as usual with all the tangled limbs everywhere, darkness came quick which made it even harder going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    louiannz likes this.