Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: how to carry out an animal

Name:  sean4.JPG
Views: 475
Size:  2.86 MB
    backpack method was how i showed my young nephew for his first ......small (35kgish)sika....tied the legs on this one(legs too short to slip the back thru the front at the joint) now i carry cable ties .....

just to add i m old now and prefer the bone out and pack it out method ....i wouldnt have let the young guy carry a big animal and also keeping the backlegs intact like this (not cutting thru the tendons ) he was able to keep the animal high on his back so the weight was distributed for a comfortable carry.....no different than carrying a full pack ,except a pack doesnt bleed all over your back
    Last edited by scotty; 08-11-2021 at 07:57 AM.
    Pauli and Cordite like this.

It cracks me up we take these young fellas out and they have none of the flash camo, state of the art clothing and equipment we just have to have.
    Maybe some of our essential purchases are not that necessary.
    Micky Duck and turtle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by erniec View Post
    It cracks me up we take these young fellas out and they have none of the flash camo, state of the art clothing and equipment we just have to have.
    Maybe some of our essential purchases are not that necessary.
    Yeah you would think those shorts would stick out a mile away but maybe it isn't as big an issue as we think.

I just throw my hunting clothes in the washing machine with the normal detergent now, they smell great and Im shooting more deer than ever.
    Sika stag likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

The heavy pig & deer carrying culture in NZ is bad news. Yeah I know, if you’re big and strong and can carry it then you get the kudos and sure it looks cool. But you’re only one misstep away from a lifelong disaster. Some get away with it, many don’t.

it’s no coincidence that in my generation of older guys there are several good mates who are full of regret for what they got up to when they were younger, as they are totally fucked in their late 50s and 60s, praying for knee and hip replacements and all sorts of irreparable back problems. What annoys me is that a couple of them have deliberately made friends with big and strong young fellas so that they can come along on the hunt and carry their enormous pigs out for them!

So yeah, nah. Small deer and pigs, goats, whatever, setup right, different story. But the big ones? Just bone them out and don’t risk a miserable second half to life.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    The heavy pig & deer carrying culture in NZ is bad news. Yeah I know, if you’re big and strong and can carry it then you get the kudos and sure it looks cool. But you’re only one misstep away from a lifelong disaster. Some get away with it, many don’t.

it’s no coincidence that in my generation of older guys there are several good mates who are full of regret for what they got up to when they were younger, as they are totally fucked in their late 50s and 60s, praying for knee and hip replacements and all sorts of irreparable back problems. What annoys me is that a couple of them have deliberately made friends with big and strong young fellas so that they can come along on the hunt and carry their enormous pigs out for them!

So yeah, nah. Small deer and pigs, goats, whatever, setup right, different story. But the big ones? Just bone them out and don’t risk a miserable second half to life.
    Exactly right. Our macho-bullshit culture always has consequences. Not just through deer carrying. Physical and psychological damage. Body, mind and relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Exactly right. Our macho-bullshit culture always has consequences. Not just through deer carrying. Physical and psychological damage. Body, mind and relationships.
    I can barely move a stag prior to boning out let alone put one on my back. My first red weighed my pack in at 43kg. 8 hours of that after a 3 day hunt and I couldn't walk for a couple days... you ever felt your achilles tendons sliding as you walk? It's a bit disconcerting.
    Cordite and MAC like this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post

Remember shooting my first boar, not big, maybe 45kg. After the excitement wore off, went to throw it over my shoulders to walk out, just like in the magazines. Couldn't get it off the ground! How's that for un-macho? I learnt the value of boning out that night.

As an aside, I was in to technical SCUBA diving many years ago. It would be normal to wear/carry 50kg plus of kit. Some of the guys used to throw it on their back like it was nothing. Same guys who had never seen the inside of a gym, yet these fine pot-bellied individuals thought they had superhuman powers. Guess how many developed back issues a few years down the line?

What do the guys carrying out whole do with the skin etc? I can’t be arsed carrying them out only to throw them away later , seems like a waste of time effort and knee cartridge.
    Pack out heavy

Quote Originally Posted by paremata View Post
    What do the guys carrying out whole do with the skin etc? I can’t be arsed carrying them out only to throw them away later , seems like a waste of time effort and knee cartridge.
    Either dig a hole or https://animalskintanningservices.co.nz/

into the green otto bin,along with bones..dog will chew ONE leg bone then just leave anymore....

Quote Originally Posted by paremata View Post
    I use the home tanning kits if I am willing to put in the tiring work of defleshing, breaking, softening, etc by hand. Does take a fair bit of effort. Sending it off to the animal skin tanning services is a different kind of effort in the form of working for money and using that money

There,s nothing like that floating on air sensation after dropping ya carcass on the back of the ute but
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebaiter222 View Post
    There,s nothing like that floating on air sensation after dropping ya carcass on the back of the ute but
    I can get the same feeling from dropping a pack full of meat.
    Tahr, Slug, Boar Freak and 3 others like this.